Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nopops4me
    • Jun 2015

Any reliable thoughts or ideas?

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this request.
    ​​​​ I've got a celebration coming up soon and would like to have a few helium balloons. Of course I have to blow them up close to the event, but would like them to stay afloat for as long as possible. The ideal solution would be to put Hi-float inside each, but this is expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper solution obtainable from local supermarket that can be put in or on either before or after inflation to make the balloons look fresh all day? The helium will be one of those 30/50 balloon disposable canister tanks.
    This is a genuine request. Please, please don't trick me into trying something that is going to eat into the latex and burst the balloons an hour or so into the event.
    Thanks very much in advance
  • WindyBalloon
    • Feb 2023

Normal helium balloons will last, unless the event is very long.

Comment

• UKPOPPER
      • Feb 2023

May seem counterintuitive but helium escapes latex easier than air so mixing a bit of air in will keep the balloons inflated longer. That won't help them float longer but will slow the rate of deflation. Ensure you use helium quality balloons - the thicker latex is less likely to pop and will retain the helium for longer - and knot them properly. Finally, despite my looner tendency to overinflate balloons, it's probably better not to inflate with helium much over rated size if you want the balloon to last. Tightly inflated loons are more likely to pop but also will lose helium faster (initially at least).
      Just one more puff...🎈

Comment

• Tuftex_heart37
        Balloon Inflation Factory
        • Sep 2022

Originally posted by Nopops4me
        I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this request.
        ​​ I've got a celebration coming up soon and would like to have a few helium balloons. Of course I have to blow them up close to the event, but would like them to stay afloat for as long as possible. The ideal solution would be to put Hi-float inside each, but this is expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper solution obtainable from local supermarket that can be put in or on either before or after inflation to make the balloons look fresh all day? The helium will be one of those 30/50 balloon disposable canister tanks.
        This is a genuine request. Please, please don't trick me into trying something that is going to eat into the latex and burst the balloons an hour or so into the event.
        Thanks very much in advance
        As suggested above mix O2 with He - 1 part air 2 parts helium 1 - 2 days before the event - utilize a mix of Qualatex 16 inch unique pastels and Tuftex crystals unless rough housing is going on the day of the event they will stay good looking and well inflated for 4 days for the Tuftex 3 days for the Qualatex. You can use Hi-float but personally no all that impressed. Underinflating will also help them stay looking fresh longer.

Comment

• Nopops4me
          • Jun 2015

Thanks guys for your input and suggestions and advice. I'll give the air/helium mix a go. It makes sense. Cheers. N.

Comment

• Nopops4me
            • Jun 2015

Coming back with another question. Which way is the balloon orientated for the measurement printed on the packet? I've always thought 11" is measured across the balloon I.e. when the inflated balloon fits nicely between two chair backs 11" apart. Got me some balloons suitable for helium and on the packet it
            ​​reads :- " Max inflation 11" high" . So does that mean it's 11" max from drip point to just before the neck starts to inflate?
            Pumping up one of the balloons to try and work out which way. The balloon was very very tight at 10" across the balloon, but way over 11" from drip point to neck. It's actually 13". I'm confused! Have orientation measurements changed over the years?
            Don't want any to burst (or not many) as I'm proposing to use helium next weekend.
            Any help, advice or knowledge from own experiences would help enormously. Thanking you in advance.
            N.

Comment

• BlowPlayPop
              • Dec 2023

I always thought it was across the middle (not neck to drip point), so I think your chair method is correct. If this is the card factory balloons we were discussing, I blew some up to 20" from knot to drip point the other day (they were about 12" across the middle, mostly neck). Even at that size they could hold my weight sitting on them. Had to really bounce on them to get them to pop!
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...