Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Looner 198
    • Aug 2015

Re: Blow to pop tips

Blow to pops are an interesting problem. I was never sure whether I really wanted to do them - sure, fantasize about it and as a test on how far my "get rid of the phobia" practice has gone - but when it comes down to it, I usually chicken out way before the neck touches my lips.

What I did find out that works for me both from a noise limitation (for my hearing as well as for my neighbours' peace) is to do it under a duvet. Having a room with a lot of blank walls (images and paintings don't count) creates an echo chamber of sorts that will not allow the noise to dissipate easily - and I find the quality of the bang to be too harsh - too many highs and not enough lows in terms of frequency. So if you do not have access to a properly treated sound-stage - where sound does not get reflected to the source - I find b2ps without dampening to be too stressful for my hearing (which is quite accurate and which I would like to keep that way).

So - what I do is I build a little dampening room under a blanket with pillows in 3 directions (and myself in the fourth) and some form of light source otherwise how am I going to enjoy the size and build-up of the anticipation?

In this set up I have done b2p from 5" to 12" and it's been epic. I get all of the anticipation - especially if I haven't done it for a while - and none of the negative impact to my hearing. And I don't need to wear ear plugs or ear protectors.

Happy popping!

Comment

Working...