Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kitten
    • Jul 2023

ethics of public popping

So after today's events when a friend did a blow to pop in a McDonald's, I've been thinking where to draw the line when it comes to public popping.
    I wouldn't feel comfortable popping in an enclosed space where people can't get away easily, but watching my friend do it was pretty exciting. I had no control over that, but I kinda feel bad because it was very loud and she only did it because she knows I like it (didn't ask for it, in fact I tried to stop her)

I find public blowing and popping exciting (in a different way to it in private) but was wondering what everyone's thoughts on it were. Obviously doing it on a train or similar situation is definitely wrong, but where is that line drawn for you? Is doing it in town okay? In a forest with few people around?
    If there's already popping happing, I don't think twice really. Like the time I did a b2p in the archery club after people were popping them. If someone didn't like it, they would have left before.

What are your thoughts on the matter? I definitely want to do more of this, but think I better set rules so it doesn't go too far. I'm already starting to become too comfortable with doing it and have less considerations than I once did.
  • LoudPop
    • Sep 2018

If balloons are around in a public setting, they are going to pop. Stores don't put out balloons and think "Oh, no one will pop a balloon." Popping one or two, don't worry about it. Sitting there continuously popping balloons on purpose, that's another story. I was phobic as a kid. But, that was my problem; not everyone else's and certainly not the general public's problem to protect me from ever hearing a balloon pop.

Comment

• JCB
      • Feb 2021

Not something I've ever considered doing but if going down that road yer have to consider who's around at time eg not a good idea when someone elderly with possibly a heart condition around, the sudden shock might be too much. A lot of people in public wouldn't mind but you don't know who's about & maybe you end up upsetting an irrational nutter then you've got a prob. It's a case of if yer want to do it weigh up pros & cons first.

Comment

• theloonerboy
        • Mar 2024

If you're going to blow pop a balloon in public, I think it's best to do it outside. If it's inside, it should be in an environment where it's already loud and has less chance to startle someone. In a bus, train, most restaurants should be out of question. I disagree with "loudpop"; most stores rely on public etiquette and 99+% people don't even touch the balloons, let alone pop them.

Comment

• loonlun
          • Mar 2021

I wouldn't pop a stranger's balloon in public, that seems like an asshole thing to do. That and involving unwitting participants in it is where my line generally is. Otherwise just make sure you clean up after yourself and aren't doing it somewhere that you're disturbing wildlife.

Comment

• AJK64
            • Jun 2018

If there are balloons given out in a public place I do believe that the assumption is that some will get burst by people. I think most ordinary (non fetish) people wouldn't even think twice about busting a balloon that was given to them. It is kind of one of the expected things to do with a balloon

Comment

• lucid
              • Sep 2016

I agree with JCB. I'd look around to make sure there are no olds or crazy people around and then, especially if you're outside, shouldn't be an issue. My girlfriend has done many btps in dance clubs and at raves. I always look around to see if I can notice anyone watching a little too hard lol. On a few occasions i caught some guys watching that i would bet the farm were looners but i didn't have it in me to go over and ask. Back when we were hitting raves fairly often, my gf would love to cause a scene with her balloons lol.

Comment

If you do it in a forest or just generally where people can get away easily it's fine. Like if you see people getting uncomfortable maybe try to slow down and let them leave. Don't do it indoors and don't be a dick about it. I'm phobic myself and there is no kind of person I hate more than the type of moron who doesn't give a 2nd thought to that something they do might actually terrify people. In my opinion I shouldn't have to completely abandon any day plans I have or any shops I NEED to go to just because someone feels like being a bit of a dick. Where I am from we also at the moment have the added problem that any loud bangs in a public area can quite literally make people panic due to a BIG increase in gang shootings where a lot of innocent bystanders get hurt. So long story short just don't be a dick while doing it, consider where you are and who's around and if you feel even slightly hesitant about doing any type of popping in that area just leave and go do it somewhere else, other peoples day to day life shouldn't be inconvenienced for a little bit of fetish entertainment

Comment

• Blue548
                  • Sep 2015

In a place with lots of people such as a shopping centre or major a tourist hotspot it is probably a bad idea for obvious reasons. Of course, it's likely that there will be balloons in these situations, but most people won't be intentionally blowing them up to bursting point which is significantly louder, especially when considering the brands that us looners use. Public transport is a big no no. I'm not against it at all, but it's best to use your judgement and pay attention to your surroundings. If someone looks uncomfortable, stop.

Comment

• Meililoon
                    aka lyckr
                    • Sep 2014

As others have said, doing it in enclosed spaces like stores, restaurants and public transport is a big nope. Same with other places where people can't easily and reasonably discreetly get away if they want, like queues, outdoors restaurants or otherwise crowded spaces where sudden loud noises aren't expected.
                    And while it really shouldn't have to be mentioned, popping balloons put up as decorations at stores or events is essentially vandalism. Don't do it.

Comment

• srob2
                      • Dec 2017

McDonald's is a for-profit business that chose to give out balloons knowing some will get popped on purpose by customers. Everyone there understands this, so no one too phobic would be present. I don't see anything wrong, but it would be completely different if you did this with McDonald's balloons after taking them into the store next door. If customers reacted negatively, I agree you shouldn't do this again if you don't want to be told off or have them stop giving out balloons - but if that happens, it is McDonald's fault and not yours. The car-park is a little different, since you brought balloons there, although I doubt you disturbed anyone.

Comment

• Meililoon
                        aka lyckr
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by srob2
                        McDonald's is a for-profit business that chose to give out balloons knowing some will get popped on purpose by customers. Everyone there understands this, so no one too phobic would be present.
                        I've never gone to a place like this, expecting people to pop balloons on purpose. If it's kids doing it by accident, then fair enough, but adults or teens doing it on purpose are just being assholes imho.
                        Phobics also don't necessarily avoid any places with balloons. They might go there with friends, not wanting to drop out just because there might be balloons there, or simply go there, expecting people to behave and not be dicks.

Comment

• AJK64
                          • Jun 2018

I think its worthwhile being considerate of other peoples phobias etc, but there are such a wide variety of things that people are phobic of out there. It is impossible to account for what someone might have a phobia of and function normally. I had a friend growing up who was extremely phobic of tomato sauce. It would be ridiculous for complete strangers to have to be constantly wondering if someone they meet might find them putting tomato sauce on food distressing. Balloons are kind of made to be burst. Or at least bursting them is a perfectly normal thing for someone to do with them. I agree that I personally wouldnt burst a balloon in an enclosed space where people who find it distressing cant escape (such as public transport). But thats because I am more aware of balloons generally because I think about them more than most people . And that includes the fact that people have phobias of balloons. But the majority of ordinary people out there dont even think twice about bursting a balloon, because for them it seems odd that someone might be afraid of it. Does that make them uncaring or irresponsible? I dont think so. Its like the person putting the tomato sauce of their fries...they dont think twice that my friend might see that and be completely freaked out by it,

Comment

• srob2
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Meililoon
                            I've never gone to a place like this, expecting people to pop balloons on purpose. If it's kids doing it by accident, then fair enough, but adults or teens doing it on purpose are just being assholes imho.
                            Phobics also don't necessarily avoid any places with balloons. They might go there with friends, not wanting to drop out just because there might be balloons there, or simply go there, expecting people to behave and not be dicks.
                            Balloons are single-use toys meant to be popped on purpose. Giving out straws might offend environmentalists, but straws are legal, and it unreasonable to expect customers not to use straws because they might offend other customers. You might feel more respectful not taking a straw because you don't want to offend anyone, but you should also respect people who want to use straws to drink and balloons to burst.

Comment

• Merl
                              Hopper research dept.
                              • Apr 2021

In most public settings, non-looners (meaning over 99% of the population) will dislike having to hear any loud noise where it isn't to be expected. That includes *almost* everywhere balloons are found.

Nightclubs? Dance halls? Some sport events? Fairs? Parties? Sure, balloons can be found there and maybe deliberate popping happens or is even encouraged, depending.

Stores? Shops? Malls? Restaurants? Bars/pubs (usually)? Car lots? Sidewalks? No. Popping is not a regular practice at such places under normal conditions.

Do adults really need to be told this? Or are some looners that antisocial?

Saying "but balloons are meant to be popped" is childishly false. For YOU that may be true but for most people, in most settings, they aren't there for anyone to pop. Balloons are mainly something to be seen, NOT HEARD. You know this.

Saying "but they're gonna pop eventually anyway" doesn't give anyone the right to pop them prematurely when they're not yours. You know this too. But even if they ARE yours, you'll still be seen as a dick and a fool by everyone around you.

Save it for your private activity. Don't be an ass by inflicting it on everyone else because it gets you off, especially in places where it's not usually expected.

Think of it like farting in public. In most places, that's about how it, and you, will be viewed.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎