Possible to shred rubberized inflatable?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OnceYouPop
    • Sep 2022

Possible to shred rubberized inflatable?

If you use enough plasticizer on say a beach ball, can you get it so rubbery that itll shred on bursting? I mean, im gonna try it, just wanted to know if anyone has?
  • lucid
    • Sep 2016

What is this "rubberizing" that you speak of? I've heard of it, just don't know exactly what it is or how you do it. It does sound like something I need to know haha. Any way you could enlighten me on the basic process?

Comment

• OnceYouPop
      • Sep 2022

Honestly, it changed my world when it comes to inflatables and it's so so simple.

You just pour Sculpey Clay Softener (I use about one 30ml bottle for an 18 inch beach all) in through the valve and then massage it around until it feels like its entirely coated. Then leave for up to 3 days and when you next inflate it it feels more like a balloon.

More Softener, the stretchier.

Forewarning - if there's any interior prints on a beachball or inflatable (e.g stripes or patterns - it will degrade and ruin them) so better to use plain or clear colours or external prints.

I'm nowhere near as scientific about it as this but this is what started it all for me:

Comment

• lucid
        • Sep 2016

Aah very nice my friend. This sounds incredible! Thank you so much for the knowledge. I'll be trying this asap haha.

Comment

• Unicks
          • Nov 2020

OnceYouPop - The short answer to your question is NO, using a plasticizer only makes the vinyl 'gummier' and unable to attain that same film stress than one untreated. It would just keep stretching until the polymer can no longer bind with the plasticizer, more of a 'sticky' effect.

Comment

• skyscream44
            • Sep 2016

I never heard of this! i will have to try it.

Comment

• lucid
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by OnceYouPop
              Honestly, it changed my world when it comes to inflatables and it's so so simple.

You just pour Sculpey Clay Softener (I use about one 30ml bottle for an 18 inch beach all) in through the valve and then massage it around until it feels like its entirely coated. Then leave for up to 3 days and when you next inflate it it feels more like a balloon.

More Softener, the stretchier.
              Ok I tried it. Friggin badass man thanks for your help! I used 3 bottles on a pretty good sized beachball and it legit feels like a balloon now. Just one more question if you don't mind: Am I correct in assuming this can be inflated alot bigger now that it's softer and stretchier? It sure seems like it can take alot more air now but I'm afraid to pop it so soon after dropping 18 bucks worth of miracle sauce into it.

Comment

• LoonerLover23
                • Nov 2023

yes the stuff gets bigger, but with the softness it gets weaker especially around the seams.

I got and intex whale double its original size with that before it popped.

You need to make sure to evenly distribute it so it has about the same amount on every spot.

You also shouldnt buy sculptury clay since its super expensive (like you said) instead buy from Inflateable World or from a chinese seller

Comment

• lucid
                  • Sep 2016

I figured it would probably weaken the material. I just didn't know how much more it would be able to stretch and get bigger. Are they still fairly safe to sit on if overinflated just a bit?

And thanks for the tip about ordering from Inflatable World. If these things can still hold up under a little bouncing then you probably just saved me a bunch of money on softener. Happy New Year!!!

Comment

Working...