Phobics, which experiences made you fear balloon pops?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bubblesNdragons
    • Oct 2019

Re: Phobics, which experiences made you fear balloon pops?

Once my dad, brother and I were playing keepy-uppy with a Chuck-E-Cheese balloon. It then just spontaneously popped in the air, and I cried really loudly because I had NO idea how that could possibly happen nor what could've caused it.

The very, very last thing my 3 y/o self would expect from a pretty floaty toy was for it to explode as a domestic sonic boom and shatter into a million pieces. That logic is why balloon pops still scare me to this day, despite me better understanding how that's possible.
    *notices bulge*

Comment

Well from what I've been told it happened because as a kid I was sitting in the family garage and playing with a balloon and I must have pressed it against the asphalted ground a bit to hard as it popped and popped quite loud because I was in a garage that made it echo a lot, I have no memory of this at all so I'm just going off what my mom has told me. I would have been around 3-ish when this happened

Comment

• Slow DeFlaite
        • Apr 2023

Getting snapped in the Ball sack by a Bursting Balloon!

Comment

• Axle
          • Jan 2022

i don't recall one specific incident but i've never liked it. current working theory is that it was initially just the sound that i hated thanks to hypersensitivity to certain frequencies causing sensory overload.

i guess the very concept of pops being unpleasant to me was gradually built on that.
          Curiosity killed the cattex.

Comment

• Kitten
            • Jul 2023

I believe it was two events. One caused the second to cement it as a phobia.
            I mentioned the first part before. I was blowing a balloon and made it really big. I didn't expect it would pop because it wasn't hard to blow. It was so unexpected and really loud. The experience definitely scared me, but I think it was the second one that did it. I can't have been that long after the accident. I was at a friend's house and she had invited someone I wasn't a bad fan of. There was some petty arguments akin to sibling rivalry. Some was partly my fault. Anyway, my friend wanted to play some game and it involved balloons. I was a bit nervous after the accidental pop and didn't want to blow mine up. Well my friend's friend seemed to pick up on my nervousness and blew hers really big. I told her to stop and she teased me. She tried to keep blowing it bigger so I ran away. She chased me and popped it. Once she realised she had power over me, she got more balloons and kept scaring me until I locked myself in the bathroom until it was time to go home.

Comment

• Merl
              Hopper research dept.
              • Apr 2021

Anyone who was not exactly phobic, but dreaded that one could pop just because you didn't want it to?

Comment

• Nebuloon
                • Mar 2017

I've been cautious around balloons since before I can remember because I have always been scared of loud noises (I have sensory processing disorder), but I can think of an event that intensified my phobia.

When I was around 8 years old I went to a school summer fair where there was a stall selling lots of ~18" punch balloons. It was a very hot day and they were extremely overinflated, so they were just popping on their own. They couldn't be used normally without popping within a few minutes, so I was surrounded with kids bursting these large (compared to what I was used to at the time) balloons and they were very loud from what I can remember. Another child dropped one of their balloons and it drifted towards me in the wind, popping when it touched the grass just in front of me.

From that day I was scared of being around balloons, even when outside which I was fine with before that experience. So I spent a few years between that event and the fetish developing where I would just run away whenever I saw a balloon, lol.

Comment

• Kiltieman
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Kitten
                  I believe it was two events. One caused the second to cement it as a phobia.
                  I mentioned the first part before. I was blowing a balloon and made it really big. I didn't expect it would pop because it wasn't hard to blow. It was so unexpected and really loud. The experience definitely scared me, but I think it was the second one that did it. I can't have been that long after the accident. I was at a friend's house and she had invited someone I wasn't a bad fan of. There was some petty arguments akin to sibling rivalry. Some was partly my fault. Anyway, my friend wanted to play some game and it involved balloons. I was a bit nervous after the accidental pop and didn't want to blow mine up. Well my friend's friend seemed to pick up on my nervousness and blew hers really big. I told her to stop and she teased me. She tried to keep blowing it bigger so I ran away. She chased me and popped it. Once she realised she had power over me, she got more balloons and kept scaring me until I locked myself in the bathroom until it was time to go home.

Hi. I spent a lot of time as a young boy in the bathroom at parties especially around Christmas time most of it when the balloons came out and were blown up for various games which usually ended with them being burst with a sudden loud bang!

Comment

Working...