Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benjy
    • Mar 2018

Popping on hot surfaces

Given the present heatwave here in the UK, on the radio earlier there was a mention of frying eggs on a car bonnet.

The reason I mention it is that it stirred a memory from when I was at school, a classmate who'd been to Florida. He claimed it had been so hot and sunny, he and some other kids had been playing a game of tossing footballs and inflatables onto car bonnets, which were so hot they'd melt-through and pop the toys.

Anyone tried it? I remember those of us he told were sceptical. Obviously the UK wasn't as sunny in 1995 as Florida, but we tried it with a basketball on a metal window frame at school, to no effect. A classmate had an inflatable globe (starchart actually) at home, but she couldn't be persuaded to part with it, even for science
  • Vicci
    Blown to bits
    • Oct 2009

Re: Popping on hot surfaces

I wouldn't say it's not possible, but might depend on the ball and colour of the car? Although if anyone threw balls at my cars they'd find themselves in a ditch covered with 6ft of soil.

I did leave a very tightly inflated black swim ring out in the garden this week, and that popped itself dur to reflection off a window, it looks like the part the sun was focussed on just expanded like a balloon until... Pfft.
    So whilst not being popped because it was on a hot surface, the inflatable itself became so hot it burst.
    Vicci x

Comment

• Kitten
      • Jul 2023

Maybe I should leave my beschball outside and see if it gets soft enough to pop. It's not a dark colour, so shouldn't melt completely.

Comment

• georgebayer_1
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Vicci
        ... I did leave a very tightly inflated black swim ring out in the garden this week, and that popped itself dur to reflection off a window, it looks like the part the sun was focussed on just expanded like a balloon until... Pfft...
        Very tightly inflated - do You inflate Your inflatables other way as rock hard? Your rock hard inflated ring was an IW one, didn't? I'd like to see how big they can really get, mine popped always in the outer seam by ca. 170 cm diameter...

Comment

• Vicci
          Blown to bits
          • Oct 2009

It wasn't an IW one, just some cheap one I bought a box of 20 of from Facebook marketplace.
          Vicci x

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍