Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theinflatableclown
    • Jul 2022

Re: swim rings

i pump up my swim ring using a hand pump or a foot pump while wearing it to ride my balloons and inflatables. it's so juicy and sexy to wear them, and even more when it's a character and animal swim ring on me.
    i would love to have an intex frog and a hippo swim ring to ride inflatables with. they should make a clown swim ring too.

Comment

• JOhara
      • Jul 2015

I just picked up an Intex clear color tube in purple at a local shop. Haven’t played with a swimring in a looong time but am excited to play!!

I’m especially excited because it was with a swimring that I had my first orgasm. I turned it on its edge, went down on it, and kept riding it noticing it kept feeling better and better until…well… I “messed” my shorts! Lol! Must’ve been like 12 or 13 at the time. The squeaky vinyl was amazing

Hoping my experience with this new ring is very similar

Comment

• heaviest
        • Jun 2018

Swim ring action at the pool. Started with two guys trying to both get on a 45 inch ring. Maybe 350 pounds between them. They tried multiple things, starting with all four legs through the hole, facing each other, trying to sit on the sides of the ring. The thing that came close to working was for one to sit in it normally with the other straddling him, facing him. Still didn't manage to balance, and they tried way harder than most people do.

Two women tried the same thing in the same ring. Maybe 300 pounds between them. They succeeded a couple times in balancing, but didn't stay on it for long.

A busty woman of about 280 pounds used the ring next, by herself at first, but one of the other women joined her. Lots of screaming and laughing and they never balanced. And while they were trying they kept trying to wave over someone else in their party. A guy of about 250 pounds. It took a lot of persuading.

Looked like they were negotiating who would be on bottom, and busty lady got out of the ring for him to get in first, but after more negotiating, she got back in and he tried to sit on top of her. They tried a few times but never succeeded in both getting on the thing.

The first two guys and the first to women would try again, but only one guy, someone else entirely, would float in it most of the rest of the time I was there.

They did have it properly inflated. Even after all the abuse it took, it was still solidly inflated. Must have been overinflated to start with. I did note that even the outer seem wasn't puckered when they got two people on it.

There was also a 36 inch ring, and people did use it. One of the smaller women used it pretty extensively.

In recent days I've seen pillow-back swim rings that seem to be larger and sturdier than the Intex ones. That makes them less interesting to me, and the people who used them weren't particularly large. Still nice to see people bringing inflatables. There are not a lot of them this year for some reason.
        Last edited by heaviest; 17-07-2022, 00:38.

Comment

• heaviest
          • Jun 2018

"New Girl" and her friend have been tubing in a water park, and the tubes they are provided have the hole covered, so it's like a mini raft. For a normal sized person the tubes are actually big enough that none of you is in the water, and they even provide a paddle. Both New Girl and her friend are more than two hundred pounds over the weight limit. They let them ride, but they made them learn to stay balanced on the tubes before they'd let them enter the stream. They took video of the empty tube and while floating, and shared with me. I'd love to get my hands on one of these. They look to be well over 50 inches.

They also tried the double ring ride. More traditional two-person open floats. They were told to ride separately, and even so, they couldn't stay on the float, because they didn't fit in it and it was too unstable. There were single rings available, ordinary open tubes, basically half the double floats. They didn't fit in those, either.

So they rode the mini raft style tube ride multiple times.

Comment

• heaviest
            • Jun 2018

Spry Girl has finally popped a 36 inch swim ring in the pool. She sinks them completely. She's popped a couple by putting one leg in them, which only fits up to about her knee, but just laying belly-down on them has not been enough to pop them. Until today. Unfortunately that means she probably won't ride them this way in a public pool anymore. But at home she immediately got on another one.

She is something like 37 inches wide at the hips and wider than that in the legs. A 36 inch swim ring is mid-size, 32 inches inflated. Kinda small for an adult, but it'll float someone over 200 pounds easily, and it takes about 350 pounds to sink it. To see it completely disappear under someone more than twice that size you just assume it'll pop. And usually it doesn't. That's why I love swim rings. They come up looking soft and stretched, which is a lovely reminder that they've been abused, but they just recover and you load them up again!

Comment

• heaviest
              • Jun 2018

I've inherited a Poolmaster floating chair. It was being used by a guy of about 450 pounds and a woman of about 300. She fit in it and floated just fine. Him not so much.

The main float chamber was deflated and they left it for dead, but it's a puncture and not a seam rip. Easiest fix ever.

It's much more substantial than the Intex sit n float, but narrower in the seat. I fit in it less well than he did, and it's super unstable. It'll be better for 300 pound girl than it is for me. Shorts girl isn't going to fit, but I'm going to bring it and hopefully she'll try!

Comment

• frankfrank
                Empathetic Harmonizer
                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by heaviest
                Spry Girl has finally popped a 36 inch swim ring in
                The science of weighting-down a swim ring in a body of water would actually be very interesting, and I don't know what the answer to this is.

One thing for sure, get a 500-pound person who sits on one of these rings, and manages to entirely submerge it. I would think the amount of weight it would take to submerge it, would be the amount that the cubic volume of the (now-somewhat-compressed-and-reduced-in-volume) tube would weigh if, instead, it was filled with water. An inflated tube won't displace an amount of water that exceeds the water-weight that is instead in the form of air.

I don't think so, anyway...

It might even be as simple as calculating the weight of the part of the person that is still above water. What weight is above the water is directly pressing down on the ring.

And the submerged part of the 500-pound person similarly displaces a volume that would be displaced if it was pure water instead of a person.

If the person on the ring exceeds the weight needed to sink the ring, by displacing a volume/weight of water equivalent to what is needed to submerge the ring fully, the ring will go below the surface, how far below determined by the weight and buoyancy of the person. If one were able to procure, let's say, a cross-shaped apparatus (for stability) made of metal, at exactly the weight the ring would be if it were instead made of water, the ring would stay afloat, just the top breaking the surface.

This assumes that the metal apparatus isn't below the surface of the water itself. Because something going below the water displaces water, it will weigh less in the pool.

This is just my thought, but the science would be interesting; is the pressure on a submerged ring ever more than what the water-equivalent of the ring would be?

Any scientists out there? (I think Archimedes' Principle has a say in this...)
                Last edited by frankfrank; 14-08-2022, 00:50.
                People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

• heaviest
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by frankfrank
                  The science of weighting-down a swim ring in a body of water would actually be very interesting, and I don't know what the answer to this is.

One thing for sure, get a 500-pound person who sits on one of these rings, and manages to entirely submerge it. I would think the amount of weight it would take to submerge it, would be the amount that the cubic volume of the (now-somewhat-compressed-and-reduced-in-volume) tube would weigh if, instead, it was filled with water.
                  I believe you are correct. I think the amount of weight it takes to submerge a ring is the weight of the water it displaces. But when you are on a swim ring, some of your weight is on the water directly. Your legs and your butt and your arms are in the water.

I think I've calculated the water volume of 30, 36 and 47 inch swim rings, and probably posted that calculation on this forum (Hello Alan, yeah, I'm a dork! lol). I can't square that with what I've observed, because it's not obvious how much of that weight is born by the inflatable and how much is buoyant in the water. But by observation, someone under 200 pounds can sink a 30 incher sitting upright on it, but someone bigger than that won't sink it laying across it with much of their body floating on the water. By observation, it takes 350 pounds to sink a 36 incher, though it probably displaces less than 350 pounds of water (I don't remember and I'm too lazy to do that calculation again). And I've seen someone weighing 750 pounds not sink a 47 inch ring, though if I recall it displaces less than 600 pounds of water.

If you google the volume of a taurus you'll find a calculator you can plug numbers into, and you can find the volume in cubic inches (or mm) of a swim ring, and then you can multiply that by the weight of a cubic inch of water (also googlable). Remember the calculator takes radii and not diameter.

I just did that for a 47 inch swim ring, which I believe inflates to 43 inches with a 15 inch inner hole, approximately, and displaces 540 pounds of water. But I've seen someone bigger than that not sink it, because some of their weight is in the water and not on the ring.

Inflatables that you sit in a hole work on this principle. Some of your weight is born by your own buoyancy.

is the pressure on a submerged ring ever more than what the water-equivalent of the ring would be?
                  And by that, if you mean, should a 755 pound person stress a swim ring more than a 350 pound person, given that 350 pounds will sink it, too, I do not know. I suspect the answer is yes, but not by as much as you'd think. I can just tell you that it LOOKS like it should pop. Which is the fun of swim rings. The surprise when they don't pop!

Possibly the extra stress once it is submerged comes from the depth of the water it is in. I just googled and you can calculate the pressure in pounds per square inch according to depth. But I can tell you that it doesn't go far under water. When she's got it trapped under her belly, basically under her hips, laying on it, it is maybe 18 inches under water. She's pretty buoyant, even without an inflatable under her. She can float with it under her belly without a lot of help from me to stabilize her. It goes farther under water if she sits upright on it, but then it very much wants to scoot out from under her.

EDIT: Unless I've miscalculated, a 36 inch ring, which is actually only 32 inches inflated, with a 13 inch hole, only displaces 180 pounds of water. I have one inflated to check my numbers. I don't have a 47 inch, so I've just guessed those numbers. Also guessing at 30 inch numbers, 27 inch outer diameter, 11.5 inch inner, displaces about 100 pounds of water. It takes a person almost twice as heavy as the displaced water to sink a swim ring, because of the buoyancy of the person. Sitting upright on it sinks it the most, as more of the body is out of the water.
                  Last edited by heaviest; 14-08-2022, 04:37.

Comment

• heaviest
                    • Jun 2018

Another fun fact about the capacity rating of inflatables is that they rate them for stability in the water, not the amount they'll hold without sinking, or popping. Or if they just have to come up with a number without testing, they pick something in the 175-220 pound range (80-100 kg) times the number of people it's supposed to float. Sometimes as high as 250 pounds or more per person, but rarely. But their rated capacity is nowhere near enough to pop them.

There is a manufacturer (GoFloats) that rates their single-person floats at 500+ pounds. They are perhaps more sturdy than usual, but there's nothing special about their stability.

Comment

• heaviest
                      • Jun 2018

A fairly large guy and an extremely large guy at the pool today tried to get on a big swim ring. It had a fairly small center hole, which made the ring really big around, and was unstable. It had handles and a rope, looked to be really sturdy, like it was meant to be used on a river. But it was too unstable for the larger guy. He tried twenty times to either lay across it belly down or sit in the hole and it rolled over every time, even with his friend helping. He'd have been better off with a slimmer tube. I'd have offered him one if I had brought one.

Closest he came to getting stable was with his belly covering the hole, arms hugging the far end of it sticking up out of the water, his hips over the tube, sinking that side of it, and it looked like he was either trying to pull himself farther onto it or hump it. Too bad it was such a sturdy tube, and made of an uninteresting opaque matte material.

The most weight they got on it, though, was the smaller guy, still pretty large, sitting easily in it, and the larger guy put his arms around his waist and leans on him, basically laying on him. Kept adding weight until it got unstable and dumped them both. Did that twice.

Comment

• heaviest
                        • Jun 2018

I found a picture of a woman I know to weigh about 600 pounds on a very large, round float, so I googled until I found it. Members Mark, which is the Sam's Club brand. They've sold a bunch of different designs, all basically the same. A 56 inch (inflated size) ring with other stuff attached, like a turtle head and feet, or the one the woman was on, a candy wrapper. It has a mesh center.

Oddly, as big as this thing is, it's only rated to 200 pounds. Probably because of the mesh. Thing is, though, a 600 pound woman is wide enough to be largely on the tube and not the mesh. The rest of the float held her just fine. In fact its capacity is probably such that it isn't even interesting to me. I want there to be a risk of a pop.

You can find these floats googling "members mark oversize inflatable". Available on ebay at reasonable prices, lots with free shipping. I might buy one for Spry Girl if they are still available closer to pool season.

Comment

• heaviest
                          • Jun 2018

Same 600 pound woman with a much smaller inflatable. A glitter-filled sea shell with a hole in the center. Basically an irregular shape swim ring. Looks a little larger than 30 inches only because of its shape. I think I found it online and it is said to inflate to 33.5" x 29.5" and has a capacity of 200 pounds. That's pretty optimistic.

Anyway, large woman fully submerges it, belly-down on it, pretty much disappears under her. Another picture she's standing on the pool stairs with a leg on the float. Would love to see her put all her weight on it with one leg through it, but don't know if she tried that. Another photo she's hugging it while dropping onto it. Another picture she's holding it to compare her size with it. She's about as wide as it is, and is obviously way larger than the hole in it. Another picture she's sitting on it outside the pool, but is leaning way back on her arms so she hasn't committed to putting her whole weight on it. Still has most of the weight of her legs and butt on it. Another picture she's laying on it belly-down. Another picture she's holding it, deflated, with bits of glitter around her.

Would love to see the video.

Comment

• heaviest
                            • Jun 2018

600 pound woman again, on a 47-ish inch ring, clear with glitter. She's got one butt cheek hooked into it and is basically sitting on one side of the tube in the water, mostly submerging it. The outer seam is not puckered at all, so the ring is under some stress. Another photo it's floating on the water and she's holding it but not on it. It is fully but not over inflated. Another photo she's trying to sit in it normally but it looks to be in the process of rolling over. That's the problem with people too wide to fit in the hole. The inflatable may be sturdy enough for them, but unstable to float on. Another she's floating on it belly-down, the side with her hips over it submerged and the other side poking out of the water with the outer seam not at all puckered. Another photo she's dropping onto it butt first, and another belly first. Another photo it is deflated on the surface of the water.

Comment

• heaviest
                              • Jun 2018

Same 600 pound woman on a watermelon theme tube with pillow back, sitting on the edge of it outside the pool. That's the only photo I can find of her on it. Flattens one side of the tube, the other side is very much not even a little bit puckered, so it was probably fully inflated when she sat on it. I traced this one down to be a target-brand float, originally only $10, no longer available. I see some of their floats have plus size women in their product photography. Would like to reward that with sales. Will look for them next year.

Comment

• heaviest
                                • Jun 2018

Overinflated donut float with woman sitting in it.

I've talked to one of these stock image photographers about photographing inflatables and some of them do intentionally overinflate, particularly for manufacturer product photos.

More from this and other sets

Getty Images. Find high resolution royalty-free images, editorial stock photos, vector art, video footage clips and stock music licensing at the richest image search photo library online.
                                Last edited by heaviest; 19-11-2022, 14:10.

Comment

Working...