Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bass Boll
    • Jun 2023

Dödsstädning or an inflatable enthusiast's last will

Dödsstädning is the Swedish word for getting rid of things you don't want your heirs to bother with, more literally your final clean-up when you feel getting close to the end of your life.

I am still in my work life and there are still a few more years towards retirement, but I'm already wondering how I will handle it. I don't really want my kids to discover my stash of big vinyl items. They have never seen in its entirety what dad collected over the years and might be shocked. So, will I have the discipline to sell, donate or throw away my beloved toys when I'm really old? Or should I write something in my farewell letter to the family, like – “And these boxes with inflatable stuff, just dump them!” – or something like that?

How are you going to prepare for your inflatable legacy?
  • Golden
    • Jun 2022

you should be buried with them

Comment

• balloonPatcher
      • Jun 2020

I have thought about that subject as well. Dödsstädning - I like that word.
      Other than balloons, I have a large collection of sex dolls. My strategy is to dismantle/sell/giveaway the ones that are damaged and not used first. Next, I ranked them based on use and will gradually do the same starting with the least used. It has taken me years to accumulate them so I am expecting that it will take me years to 'downsize' or Dödsstädning. Just my two cents.

Comment

• B52
        • Aug 2022

Hello

Thank you Bass Boll...
        For me, this is a sad reality topic 🙏

I just realized that: They will 'much younger' then me, for say, when I'm 60 years old (Thank God for His allowence once I still live at 60 years old, and that will be one and a half decade from now on 😅)...
        Also, Something that I don't even know or count, there's possibility when I can't reach the number I've thinking above 🤔

Yes, about 'this hobby', I have my preference sharing 'these things' with my wife (for example), but maybe I'll be thinking its not appropriate for certain other peoples (regardless of the family relationship)...

Here, I'm sorry and didn't mean offend or offer anything that probably don't fix in other's peoples mind; but before you decide getting rid of your legacy things by anyway, I think at first, you should decide your thinking and/or your feeling toward those things.
        How do you prepare yourself when those things wasn't around you anymore?

Something like: the probability of using them again in the future, or it's okay, there's another substitutions... Or, will you miss them again, or thinking about them again? Etc... Etc... 😊

So, I think knowing how we deal with ourself toward those things, then it would be easier to decide about getting rid or still need them in our living.

I wish these words as the sharing opinion with The Community, while I do think and feel this is very sad if such getting rid with the hobby things happened to me.

Thank you Bass Boll
        Thank you The Community

Comment

• Bass Boll
          • Jun 2023

Ah, it seems that this was an uncomfortable thought or topic for many forum members – not many responses.

Anyway, I would like to thank the contributors, especially balloonPatcher: I decided to do it the same way, first make a ranking and then a time plan for the diminishing phase. I think I will start by 60 years of age and constantly reduce during the following 5–15 years. I still have to think about the length of this phase; and if a terminal illness kicks in, I'll have to hurry. In any case no need to go down to zero; I'll keep a few favourite toys until the end!

Comment

Working...