X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whale Rider
    • Nov 2022

Re: News Article about the growth in Popularity of Balloons

Originally posted by Blown2Bits
    That might be true for a few countries like Germany where there is good waste water treatment and mandatory waste incineration. But a lot of countries are more archaic. Even the US is still using the archaic method of building landfills for most of their trash... and afaik waste water treatment also differs a lot between the states.
    you are again correct everything that is good for the community for all people seems relatively sparsely supported in the US. Technology is there they just dont use it because profit for a select few will be slightly lower... if no wastewater treatment the final destination of shreds of latex will most likely be the next river... but even the US has at least some rudimentary waste water treatment not enough thats sure but at least some...

Landfills are completely forbidden here, but are not so rare in the US I dont know if new ones can be opened (most likely yes but aint sure). But the US is no bar to strife for or rather it is a very very low bar for these things.

Many things have a third world level in the US not because they cant do better, of course they *can* do better, US engineers are not dumb but since no regulation forces a proper minimum the cheapest most nonredundant version is installed and that produces many incidents see the primitive electrical grid, waste water treatment thats roughly on average 20 years behind or roads that are often not roads but test drives for off road vehicles tumbling from pothole to pothole. the only really good road I dimly remember was the beeline in florida no idea if that road for which you had to pay! is still in existence and is still good ^^ was quite a long time ago...

Some politicians here try to copy the US example and our bridges are deteriorating for decades now... so I am afraid we will meet in the middle :/

Comment

• Whale Rider
      • Nov 2022

Originally posted by IILoonerII
      Im still learning…. But If you only knew how bad our media is and how they blatantly lie. You wouldn't make a statement like debunking them with “rumors”. theres a reason why they don't want you knowing.. about those “rumors”. Yes the crazy right wing nut cases have been right…
      facts at your fingertips: if you can debunk it, do so write a study then a book state your sources, get famous... I dont give a shred for media; go for the primary sources thats scientific journals such as "New England Journal of Medicine" "Science" "Nature" "Tetrahedron Letters" "Journal of the American Chemical Society" "AICHE Journal" and so on... these are reliable robust sources; Fox News aint...

If a media does not state a source be sceptical if the source if not a reliable source be extra sceptical. anything not published in a proper reputable journal is dubious and the opinion of a single person at worst. if you want to know if it is reliable look up the impact factor of the journal. if it has no impact factor it is not a source, it is possibly propaganda, a "journal" that simply publishes any nonsense as long as you pay for it no matter how absurd.

If it is not repeatable it is not science but an opinion of a single author that cannot be substantiated in any shape or form.
      Otherwise he would published it. Even if it has been published check if that study has been retracted because someone has proven the study to be faulty or plainly wroing. yes that happens indeed. Source Criticism is important.

If you doubt the very basics such as... newton mechanics you might be referred to a large amount of standard physics books (appropriate other textbooks for other fields). If you doubt these no problem you can get the basic data for any study to check for yourself provided you have the methematical abilities to do so.
      Forging test results and study data is absurdly difficult even if you succeed in generating raw data that passes the statistical analysis, other people will replicate your results to start from your conclusions as basis for further research if they cant replicate it it will be published and your career is over. (see cold fusion by Pons/Fleischmann) Few take that risk.

If of course you doubt something very basic such as capital G the gravitational constant you will be refered to an undergraduate book for experimental physics. you can make that experiment yourself and many students are actually forced to do it themself and make a proper analysis and write a report for that experiment...

But I doubt that you doubt such basic things.. that would be doubtful ^^

Comment

• Whale Rider
        • Nov 2022

Yes, i do, do my own research…. To make sure their words match up… well, lately it seem only the right hates the environment apparently. according to our politicians.
        there is that democrat guy that most often votes with the republicans in the senate that has been well greased by the coal industry Mr Manchin...

well he is actually right of center but from a US point of view you might think of him as left for whatever reason...

nice saying here how do you know any politician is lying? his lips are moving... check what he says and check who does benefit most from his ideas. Follow the money... If you get a 200$ Tax refund but the income millionaire @ 1000000$ gets from the same legislation 260000$ Tax refund each year you know who instigated that... works for any country, not only the US...

dont worry we have corrupt politicians too ours just seem to be less...obvious, less blatent. one could say more sleazy its more work to expose their true motives... no idea why...

back on topic sadly here we seem to have not many loons I took time for a sharp check in the city and I can remember only 4 shops with balloon decorations 2 for cell phones and net providers and 2 for food. but here we have wintertime that might be a reason... loons seemed comparingly small with no giveaways just a large decoration above and around the entrance -.-

Comment

• IILoonerII
          Banned
          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Whale Rider
          facts at your fingertips: if you can debunk it, do so write a study then a book state your sources, get famous... I dont give a shred for media; go for the primary sources thats scientific journals such as "New England Journal of Medicine" "Science" "Nature" "Tetrahedron Letters" "Journal of the American Chemical Society" "AICHE Journal" and so on... these are reliable robust sources; Fox News aint...
          I dont watch fox news.. i never did because i was never “right” in my politics. Its just that lately news outlets like CNN have lied so much that they are waking people up to whats been going on. And label other source of news that doesn't come from them as “hate speech” eventually you will wonder and want to know why because its sounds really dumb lol. And its seems the right wing people were right.

Comment

• IILoonerII
            Banned
            • Feb 2020

Originally posted by LoonerPlanet
            As a Looner and an environmentalist, I do think our community should avoid releasing balloons or leaving pieces in the environment. Is it as big a problem as climate change, habitat loss or micro plastic particles? No. But we are all citizens of the Earth. Whale Rider has done a good job of listing the ways latex can decompose, but not always fast enough to keep animals from eating it. I do hope this topic doesn't degenerate into a flame war.

As for The New York Times, the editorial board does lean liberal, but the news section is straight reporting. Just as the Wall Street Journal leans conservative, but the news section is news. Both papers put up walls between editorial and news, and are among the few newspapers left in the US that regularly conduct investigative and aggressive reporting. They also admit when they get a story wrong. Both are credible sources, and hold politicians responsible for their decisions or lack of action.

The whole “Climate change” thing makes no sense. Its seems they only use it to get what they want. And im not even “right” in my politics to see that.

Comment

• aron_crow
              • May 2020

The whole “Climate change” thing makes no sense. Its seems they only use it to get what they want. And im not even “right” in my politics to see that.
              True that.

Comment

• IILoonerII
                Banned
                • Feb 2020

Originally posted by aron_crow
                true that.
                👍 +1..

Comment

• Whale Rider
                  • Nov 2022

Originally posted by aron_crow
                  True that.
                  physics and chemistry dont care if you understand or even acknowledge these, these still will have a predictable result......

but cant remember any article about balloon fetish in main strain media here in germany to be honest... seems inflatophils fly under the radar..

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎