anyone tried a portable car tire inflator?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • panther42
    • Oct 2021

anyone tried a portable car tire inflator?

I started seeing ads for these portable battery operated rechargeable car/ bicycle/ motorcycle/ blow-up toy inflators, such as:

Anyone tried one of these for 12" - 16" - 18" - 24" latex balloons?

My idea is to set it to a target pressure which is between "the balloon is full" and "the balloon will pop", which from what I've seen in youtube videos seems to be around 1.2PSI.
    Well, this video actually shows under 1 PSI though I think what happens here is the inflation is too fast to really catch the quick rise in pressure right before the pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIRKbSVJrkk
    Some science-y videos give a bit over 1.0PSI.
    Undoubtedly some experimentation will be required.

The hope is that the pump is _slow_ enough, and accurate enough, to be able to watch the pressure as the pump inflates the balloon, and tune the expectation (that is, to what target pressure to set the pump) from our experience of how large we like our balloons to get, without popping too many in the learning process...

I've communicated with the seller of this particular product. They claim that it can be set to a specific target pressure (e.g. 1.2PSI) and that it will stop pumping at that point.

The questions include:
    1. Since the initial pressure to start inflating a balloon is usually very high, we might have to pre-inflate; or, perhaps the pump has a "just on" mode to start with, and then switch it to "target pressure" mode.
    2. Accuracy. If the pump's built-in pressure sensor is not both quick and accurate, then the very small difference between "well under burst pressure" and "oops" will simply make my idea fail. (Bicycle tires, car tires, etc are high pressure - 30PSI to 160PSI), and have a lot of leeway, so a pump for such tires simply doesn't need to be super-accurate; also, tires hold very large air volumes, so take minutes to inflate, so the pump's pressure sensor doesn't have to be super-fast/responsive).
    3. Noise. Most balloon inflators are very loud. It would be nice for this to be a bit quieter. Some of these pumps mention dB ratings of 85 or 90 - loud. One mentioned <60, which would be good if in other ways it works (And if the advertising of the sound level is to be believed).
    4. Speed. As noted above, too-fast would both be a problem for the need for the pump's sensor to react quickly enough, and inflating a balloon fast tends to allow it less stretch so the initial maximum size would be smaller. These pumps have varying liters/minute levels, I've seen as low as 12L/min and as high as 40. (I note that my typical, cheap, noisy, two-nozzle electric pump is rated at a whole lot more L/min than any of these, so that's probably not a problem here).
    5. Durability/convenience. Some of these small inflators run from a 12V car cigarette lighter adapter power plug, so they can work fairly constantly (except for overheating). Others run on rechargeable batteries, and I think I've seen comments for some products which say that they either can be charging the battery or they can be inflating - not both; so the battery and the battery recharge time will significantly limit how many balloons could be inflated in a session.

So, anyone try these? Thoughts?
    thanks!
  • lex.london
    • Sep 2022

Re: anyone tried a portable car tire inflator?

This sounds very interesting. Let us know if it works.

Comment

• yet_another_aussie
      • Dec 2019

Re: anyone tried a portable car tire inflator?

I've found anything that can do high pressure (tyres) will be pretty loud, i'd keep your receipt for the pump you get because it could be really noisy.

High volume low pressure would be the way to go, i've seen aquarium pumps mentioned before.

Comment

• innertubelover
        • Dec 2023

I have bigger one. Is very quiet. Inflating tyres and inflatables. Have two different types for inflating. For air mattress and tyres. Is quicker. I'm so satisfied with portable battery powered air compressor. I bring with me outside for inflating my inner tubes for playing

Comment

• panther42
          • Oct 2021

Does your larger, quieter inflator (which works for tyres and inflatables) also work for balloons (say, 12" through 36")?
          What is the manufacture and model of this inflator?
          thanks,

Originally posted by innertubelover
          I have bigger one. Is very quiet. Inflating tyres and inflatables. Have two different types for inflating. For air mattress and tyres. Is quicker. I'm so satisfied with portable battery powered air compressor. I bring with me outside for inflating my inner tubes for playing

Comment

• srob2
            • Dec 2017

Balloons hold the same psi either until they burst or close to it. If this were perfectly accurate, 1.1 might not inflate the balloon at all and 1.2 inflates until it pops. You might even have some balloons that don't inflate and others that burst at the same pressure in the same pack. You might be able to get away with something really strong like a belbal. Why not just turn on and off the air manually?

If you want quiet, and don't mind spending money, get an air compressor. You can turn it on and it is really loud, but then it turns off and has enough air to inflate all the balloons you could want with just a small "pst" sound.

Comment

• Maddie
              • Mar 2024

Piston based pumps like most tire pumps are designed for much higher pressure, much lower volume than is ideal for balloons.

If you use an air compressor you can use a regulator to get constant low pressure output. But each balloon will have different psi to inflate or pop. If you're decent with electronics, the best solution is to set up a pressure sensor, then an electronic valve, then a section of small pipe for resistance, then another pressure sensor and use an arduino and the difference in pressure to precisely control air volume in the balloon.

Comment

• innertubelover
                • Dec 2023

Originally posted by panther42
                Does your larger, quieter inflator (which works for tyres and inflatables) also work for balloons (say, 12" through 36")?
                What is the manufacture and model of this inflator?
                thanks,

Hi. I buy this one. Here is you tube video with this model. I'm satisfied with this inflator. Maybe is better different types dual compressor battery powered and electric for using at home. I inflating my big huge inner tube with this compressor using part for inflating air mattress. Working fast. Try look other models of compressor.
                See the test check the settings of this Parkside 20v Lithium dual compressor and Air pump. Can it pump a bycicle tire and a footbal, Or troolley wheel? See i...

Comment

• Geoff Robinson
                  Senior
                  • Mar 2024

About 12 volt air compressor I bought one I thought it would be the answer to inflating balloons 🎈 No it took nearly 50 minutes to inflate the balloon to see it burst.
                  Next I bought a cylinder vacum cleaner old type.at a car boot sale £5.00 Cleaned it up worked perfectly 🥰 .
                  Now I have a air compressor with a tank you can
                  Regulate the pressure to gently inflate the balloon 🎈 Will por my ideas soon.

Comment

• Geoff Robinson
                    Senior
                    • Mar 2024

IMG_20200402_143608.jpg One of my photos

Comment

• Geoff Robinson
                      Senior
                      • Mar 2024

Balloon attachments 20220901_204200.jpg

Comment

Working...