Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoneLoonRider
    • Jan 2017

Re: Balloons that you wish would make a come back

Hmmm...There's a few that were before my time, and a few that I've only read about.

CTI 22" Punchballs were really strong and felt great.

Bluebird / Qualatex 40" balloons

French 40" balloons

Apparently there used to be a 5' Superagate balloon?

Comment

• Punchballer
      • Jan 2022

That is the punch ball of my dreams! Vintage 18" Oak Rubber Co. Romper Room punch ball. I have a couple of these in my collection. They were popular from the sixties into the early seventies. After that they scaled back and only the smaller 14" size was available. And the latex became thinner. Eventually going out of business by the early nineties. I wish I could produce these for today.

Comment

• lucid
        • Sep 2016

I miss the old school tuftex balloons. The 17s that would easily get to the size of 24s after a couple inflation. All the prints both tuftex and qualatex did along with the printed U16s and Q24s.

I've looked into making my own balloons as some of us have already done as a solution to these problems but I'm having trouble finding where to start lol. There's almost zero information available on the information superhighway. I'm sure that some of these ppl could make a small fortune teaching classes on how to do it. Where to source materials etc. I know I'd pay for that kind of knowledge.

Comment

• andrew_looner
          • Feb 2019

There's a Discord group full of people that are sharing knowledge on how to make balloons. If you want, I'll drop the link in PM.

Comment

• AJK64
            • Jun 2018

I'm with you lucid when it comes to Old formula tuftex. I still have a few old 14inchers and I have a mix of wanting to save them for special occasions and knowing that they dont have the greatest shelf life

From talling with someone on facebook a while ago who has made their own balloons, it's a very expensive, time consuming, smelly process. They had some fantastic results and were even thinking of selling their own formula balloons, but have since given up due to cost and effort involved

Comment

• Mrbloon
              • Sep 2018

I recall the "Konky" balloons from my childhood days (a long time ago) in the UK.

They were white balloons with a face with a big smile printed on the end and they had a red nose on end too.

They were not that big but when repeatedly inflated they got very big indeed. A girlfriend managed to inflate one so big that the nose inflated as much as the neck.

Comment

• Nopops4me
                • Jun 2015

I remember those 'Konky' balloons. The one that has stuck in my mind to this day is an orange one with a black nose. The nose wasn't inflated because it was very thick rubber (probably dipped six or seven times). I couldn't handle it, it was up as decoration. I was the only kid visiting my parents friend and he was single and in his thirties. I'm now wondering was he VERY interested in balloons??

Comment

• scamper
                  • Jul 2016

Tilco/Prestige 40" balloons, I love how big I could blow them up until they popped.

Qualatex 40" paddle. I started my blow to pop giant balloons in the 1980's with these balloons.

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
                    • Apr 2022

Originally posted by LoneLoonRider
                    Hmmm...There's a few that were before my time, and a few that I've only read about.

CTI 22" Punchballs were really strong and felt great.

Bluebird / Qualatex 40" balloons

French 40" balloons

Apparently there used to be a 5' Superagate balloon?
                    I wonder if the 40 inch French were the ones seen in 1956’s Le Ballon Rouge. The main balloon looked to be maybe 30 inches? We may never know what make those were. And I doubt there was a European division of Pioneer latex balloons in the 50s!

Comment

• jonquadrata
                      • May 2023

Playloons they got so big, and smelled nice.

Comment

• MylarLover
                        Mylar Balloon Lover
                        • Apr 2023

Mermaid Mylar Balloon by Flexmetal. I remember it from the 00s. and I would like to see it make a come back.

Comment

Working...