Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mutaloon
    • Nov 2018

Old balloons and longevity

I've been curious about old balloons being blown up and how they inflate. Do they pop earlier? Are they softer? Can they inflate any bigger? If overinflated, do they pop in a different pattern?

I have some balloons stowed away that have yet to be blown up and am unsure on how they'll do. I have been able to keep a well used balloon for at least a year or two when I was little and it would be my main balloon to blow up and play with before it finally popped.

My question to you is this: What's the oldest balloon you have blown up and for how long were you able to keep that balloon around for?
  • AJK64
    • Jun 2018

It really does depend on the brand and how they were stored. Best storage is away from light and moisture.

Tuftex used to have a very short shelf life with balloons sometimes degrading to unusable in about a year of even the best storage.

I've heard people who use Belbals say that they keep good for a very long time. I've heard people use decade old belbals that were good as new.

I think it depends on how much natural latex is in the balloon mix and how vulcanised the balloons are. Higher natural latex content creates a softer, stretcher balloon but with a shorter shelf life, and vulcanusatiin does the opposite.
    Last edited by AJK64; 09-07-2024, 17:27.

Comment

• blfun98
      • Nov 2018

Does anybody has a lot of experience with qualatex 16's longevity? I had them for 1 and a half year and they were still good when I popped the last ones. Now I'm thinking of getting an even bigger stash but can they last two years or more? Do you have any advice on how to store them for long?

Comment

• AJK64
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by blfun98
        Does anybody has a lot of experience with qualatex 16's longevity? I had them for 1 and a half year and they were still good when I popped the last ones. Now I'm thinking of getting an even bigger stash but can they last two years or more? Do you have any advice on how to store them for long?
        Best way to store any balloon is to reduce exposure to oxygen/air, water or light (especially sunlight). I keep mine in zip lock bags in a dark box with little bags of silica gel in the zip lock to absorb excess moisture. I am a popper so tend to use balloons within a year if getting them, but I bought over a thousand of a brand called "creative" last year... I absolutely love these balloons and I'm trying to really make them last. They're 12" balloons and I've put 50 in each zip lock so they're not too crowded to reduce the chance of them sticking together too. Hoping they will last me for years

Comment

• AlterPlatzer
          • Jun 2024

There's a YouTuber that seems to be plagued with really old balloons.

He routinely uses Q11s, Q16s and Q24s that are 10, 15 and even 20 years old, but with varying degrees of success.

One of many examples:

It's OK to love balloons.
          There are as many differences in preferences as there colors of balloons. Accentuate what makes us the same and not what sets us apart.

Comment

• lucid
            • Sep 2016

I like to store my good balloons the way I like to store my ammunition... In ammo cans lol. They have an airtight gasket that makes a complete seal around the opening. Ain't no light, air or moisture getting in there. I throw an oxygen absorber in there with em and it keeps them good a very long time.

Comment

• blfun98
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by lucid
              I like to store my good balloons the way I like to store my ammunition... In ammo cans lol. They have an airtight gasket that makes a complete seal around the opening. Ain't no light, air or moisture getting in there. I throw an oxygen absorber in there with em and it keeps them good a very long time.
              LOL I live in europe so I don't think ammo can is a sensible option here

Comment

• Dude1234
                • Sep 2017

I blew up one for the first time that I got in December 2023. It was perfect like it was only made yesterday. I need to get some more this year

Comment

• AlterPlatzer
                  • Jun 2024

LOL I live in europe so I don't think ammo can is a sensible option here
                  It's just metal box.

There are as many differences in preferences as there colors of balloons. Accentuate what makes us the same and not what sets us apart.

Comment

• AlterPlatzer
                    • Jun 2024

Originally posted by AJK64
                    Tuftex used to have a very short shelf life with balloons sometimes degrading to unusable in about a year of even the best storage.
                    Night & day difference between current Tuf-Tex balloons and what they used to make.

The current owners of Maple City Rubber are a family that are funeral directors by trade and it shows in the improved shelf-life of Tuf-Tex balloons.

KE6GNcu.png

Comment

• AJK64
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by AlterPlatzer

Night & day difference between current Tuf-Tex balloons and what they used to make.

The current owners of Maple City Rubber are a family that are funeral directors by trade and it shows in the improved shelf-life of Tuf-Tex balloons.

KE6GNcu.png
                      I'm not a big fan of the new formula tuftex. They used to be really soft balloons that could be inflated far beyond their rated sizes but now they get hard and rigid and don't get anywhere near as big. Trade off I guess, I think the qualities I liked about the old tuftex formula were probably also what made the shelf life short... High percentage of natural latex

Comment

• AlterPlatzer
                        • Jun 2024

I'm not a big fan of the new formula tuftex. They used to be really soft balloons that could be inflated far beyond their rated sizes but now they get hard and rigid and don't get anywhere near as big. Trade off I guess, I think the qualities I liked about the old tuftex formula were probably also what made the shelf life short... High percentage of natural latex
                        That hasn't been my experience. I recently got some Tuf-Tex 17" crystal purple balloons and they inflated much larger than 17" and were quite soft and difficult to pop.

Comment

• AJK64
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by AlterPlatzer

That hasn't been my experience. I recently got some Tuf-Tex 17" crystal purple balloons and they inflated much larger than 17" and were quite soft and difficult to pop.
                          Maybe I should give them another try. 17s are a bit big for my tastes though... I really miss the tuftex 14" Crystals

Comment

• AlterPlatzer
                            • Jun 2024

Maybe I should give them another try. 17s are a bit big for my tastes though... I really miss the tuftex 14" Crystals
                            The shape of the new TT17s is also different. There's a video on YouTube where a guy compares current crystal purple 17" with older 17" hot pink and there's a notable difference.

TT14s were great and a good alternative to Q16s. Here's a pic of an ex-girlfriend about to pop a TT14:

iWcDvtd.jpg

Comment

• heliumsitr68
                              • Nov 2021

Nice ! were they helium filled ?
                              Popper ! I love helium balloons

Comment

Working...