X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d_looner
    Mass Popper
    • Feb 2019

Asking for balloons to be overinflated?

I've seen some similar posts about asking for balloons to be overinflated and thought I'd share my experiences!

Me and my girlfriend have been going to a few different party shops and have had some success and some failures with them being overinflated.

The first few times, the workers have given us a very weird look and looked obviously very scared when they started getting the slightest bit of neck. So little or no success there, barely even a pear shape.

But one afternoon my partner went to the same party shop but a different girl was working.. and no questions were asked when my partner said she wanted them really big. Boy oh boy were they big! Unfortunately I don't have any photos, they were regular 12"/30cm but wow did they have a neck!!

We planned to go back on the same day with the same girl working, but ended up going on a different night to try our luck.

This time we took some Tuftex 11" in a crystal magenta, and a few Belbal 14" to see what they'd say! To say we had success is an understatement haha. My girlfriend again asked if she could have them all overinflated and the girl working (different girl than last time) said no problem that's fine!

I watched her inflate the first tuftex and she managed a pretty substantial neck, but I wanted more! I asked her if she could blow them up bigger. She said she was worried they'd pop for us later on but I said no matter, we have spares if they do!

So she proceeds to blow up all of the balloons with helium.. with absolutely huge necks. Keep in mind none of these were pre-stretched, just a little bit of stretching of the neck. (Next time we're gonna inflate the necks out before we take them so that they can neck properly!!). They were so tight when we took them to the car.. I'm amazed none of them popped on the way to the carpark 😂

She was not even phased one bit when she was blowing them up.. they would get a decent neck then she would keep adding little bits of helium into the balloon to get the neck even longer. It was awesome!!

Anyway proceed to later on in the night, we took them with us on a nice drive and filled the car with heaps more very stretched and overinflated balloons and had some car fun!

Anyone else had any success? Now that we've asked 10+ workers for them overinflated we're both getting so much more confident in asking and not being afraid of their reaction.. even more so now that we've found a couple girls that will do them really big no questions asked!

Photos attached of our helium balloon success from a shop called "Spotlight"! Enjoy
    Attached Files
  • d_looner
    Mass Popper
    • Feb 2019

Some more photos .. can't wait to go back and see if they can do lots of Belbal 14" after we stretch the necks heaps.. and maybe some Q16s! For $1.20 per balloon for helium we'll definitely be back hehe
    Attached Files

Comment

• Gunnapop
      • Oct 2020

...all the local Dollar Trees have quite the Helium tank inventory. I will check a few out next week...with some select balloons in my pocket. Based upon the mess that the stores always seem, I am sure they do not inventory the gas. If the store is relatively empty, I may just hand the cashier a $20 and a few balloons....and say that I need to video the latest balloon challenge....where they are all inflated until they burst.

~gp

Comment

• OnceYouPop
        • Sep 2022

Originally posted by d_looner
        I've seen some similar posts about asking for balloons to be overinflated and thought I'd share my experiences!

Me and my girlfriend have been going to a few different party shops and have had some success and some failures with them being overinflated.

The first few times, the workers have given us a very weird look and looked obviously very scared when they started getting the slightest bit of neck. So little or no success there, barely even a pear shape.

But one afternoon my partner went to the same party shop but a different girl was working.. and no questions were asked when my partner said she wanted them really big. Boy oh boy were they big! Unfortunately I don't have any photos, they were regular 12"/30cm but wow did they have a neck!!

We planned to go back on the same day with the same girl working, but ended up going on a different night to try our luck.

This time we took some Tuftex 11" in a crystal magenta, and a few Belbal 14" to see what they'd say! To say we had success is an understatement haha. My girlfriend again asked if she could have them all overinflated and the girl working (different girl than last time) said no problem that's fine!

I watched her inflate the first tuftex and she managed a pretty substantial neck, but I wanted more! I asked her if she could blow them up bigger. She said she was worried they'd pop for us later on but I said no matter, we have spares if they do!

So she proceeds to blow up all of the balloons with helium.. with absolutely huge necks. Keep in mind none of these were pre-stretched, just a little bit of stretching of the neck. (Next time we're gonna inflate the necks out before we take them so that they can neck properly!!). They were so tight when we took them to the car.. I'm amazed none of them popped on the way to the carpark 😂

She was not even phased one bit when she was blowing them up.. they would get a decent neck then she would keep adding little bits of helium into the balloon to get the neck even longer. It was awesome!!

Anyway proceed to later on in the night, we took them with us on a nice drive and filled the car with heaps more very stretched and overinflated balloons and had some car fun!

Anyone else had any success? Now that we've asked 10+ workers for them overinflated we're both getting so much more confident in asking and not being afraid of their reaction.. even more so now that we've found a couple girls that will do them really big no questions asked!

Photos attached of our helium balloon success from a shop called "Spotlight"! Enjoy
        Keep the stories coming! Cant wait to hear if one pops!

Comment

• d_looner
          Mass Popper
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Gunnapop
          ...all the local Dollar Trees have quite the Helium tank inventory. I will check a few out next week...with some select balloons in my pocket. Based upon the mess that the stores always seem, I am sure they do not inventory the gas. If the store is relatively empty, I may just hand the cashier a $20 and a few balloons....and say that I need to video the latest balloon challenge....where they are all inflated until they burst.

~gp
          Definitely worth a try! I like going to the bigger, franchise stores as like you said - I don't think they keep track of their helium. The girl who did it for us the other night wasn't even bothered that I wanted them overinflated or that a few of them were 14" instead of 11"!

Comment

• d_looner
            Mass Popper
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by OnceYouPop

Keep the stories coming! Cant wait to hear if one pops!
            I will!! Planning on going again this weekend, hopefully they'll do them even bigger.. I'll just offer to pay even if they pop! Will post an update in this thread when I go

Comment

• Golden
              • Jun 2022

oooh oooh 24' balloons next!

Comment

• d_looner
                Mass Popper
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Golden
                oooh oooh 24' balloons next!
                Very tempting!! I think I'm gonna take some Q16s next time and see what they say.. maybe some pre stretched Belbal 14" too. I have some Qualatex 18" I could take too!

I will also be taking some 12" balloons I got from a party shop last year.. the neck they get is absolutely massive! So you best believe I'll be pre stretching them too and seeing how big they can make the neck 😋

Comment

• Gunnapop
                  • Oct 2020

I will!! Planning on going again this weekend, hopefully they'll do them even bigger.. I'll just offer to pay even if they pop! Will post an update in this thread when I go
                  ...gitty up. I will see how a stretched 24" TTex works out. Competition is on, eh.

Comment

• Gunnapop
                    • Oct 2020

...gitty up. I have to fetch a ream of paper, tomorrow....and will see how the Dollar Tree folks react. Best case...I capture a beauty overinflation.....or take home a tightly inflated gem.

Comment

• d_looner
                      Mass Popper
                      • Feb 2019

...gitty up. I will see how a stretched 24" TTex works out. Competition is on, eh.
                      Let me know how it goes! Definitely post some photos if you have any success

Comment

• d_looner
                        Mass Popper
                        • Feb 2019

...gitty up. I have to fetch a ream of paper, tomorrow....and will see how the Dollar Tree folks react. Best case...I capture a beauty overinflation.....or take home a tightly inflated gem.
                        Worst case scenario you'll still have some nice balloons, just not as big! But there's no better feeling than taking home multiple really tight, necked and overinflated helium balloons!!

Comment

• OnceYouPop
                          • Sep 2022

Some more photos .. can't wait to go back and see if they can do lots of Belbal 14" after we stretch the necks heaps.. and maybe some Q16s! For $1.20 per balloon for helium we'll definitely be back hehe
                          Just realised, if you want accidental pops use heart balloons 😉. Not rifco/bws ones though, theyre indestructable. Cattex, qualatex or cheaper.

Comment

• Gunnapop
                            • Oct 2020

...I got a late start and 20 minutes after the local Dollar Tree opened, it was quite jacked with customers. I did my usual bee-line to the balloons and saw they still had Mexican 3pk punchballs on the rack. I was so tempted to buy a pack and inquire about helium inflation....but, figured it would be more likely to happen when the staff is not so busy. 9 Helium tanks up front and I did a thought experiment on how it would go. With no other customers, it would be quite easy for the cashier to walk 15 feet and inflate some.

~gp

Comment

• Strel0k
                              • Jul 2014

The Dollar Tree by me is my go to place. I LOVE their packs of assorted sizes because there's always some 12" and usually some that have the extra part on the top for linking with other balloons for an arch and lately there have been some 15" balloons in those bags as well. But I remember hearing one of the cashiers say to another customer that they don't inflate the latex balloons with helium because they don't have a nozzle for anything other than the mylar balloons.

Comment

Working...