Tuftex - Are there differences in suppliers? Old vs new?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d_looner
    Mass Popper
    • Feb 2019

Tuftex - Are there differences in suppliers? Old vs new?

I recently purchased a large amount of balloons from Facebook, mainly for the huge selection of Tuftex 11" which I've always wanted to try.

I was a little disappointed as majority of them weren't as big as I had seen in photos and videos.

There was one bag (the first photo) that were a crystal colour (reference of colour in the third photo), that were absolutely massive compared to the other bag (second photo).

Is there a difference in the two bags? Is one of them an older style/supplier? Can you still buy the ones from the first photo?

Third photo is for reference of size, unfortunately I don't have a photo of the other ones but they weren't nearly as big. Still a decent neck but I'm unsure if that is because they weren't crystal like the magenta one!

(Photos of the bags are off the internet to show the different styles in bags and logo, I had different colours to these)
    Attached Files
  • darcynader
    • Nov 2018

Around the time of the pandemic, there was a slowdown in production and sourcing latex was difficult. One website reported that additional dipping capacity was being installed. After that, the new logo and bag sizes (second photo) appeared, and there was suddenly a big emphasis on having a wide range of solid colours. Also, crystal colours seem to be rather scarce since then.

The new balloons seem much smaller, tighter, and prone to random explosions before rated size. I am not the only one who noticed and it has been mentioned a few times on this forum. It always baffled me why so many people apparently didn't notice any change (as opposed to simply not caring). It could be partly nostalgia, and if there are still bags like the one shown in the first photo in circulation, then that may also explain it.

Comment

• Dust of the Saturn
      Stretched like space-time
      • Feb 2018

I never got the chance to try the old tuftex. Somewhere on this forum exists a thread discussing the possibility of a change in their latex. However, I remember someone saying that they asked about it and the company denied ever changing anything.

Based on some old videos and the information that I have, I doubt tuftex changed anything. It could also be me not wanting this to be a reality, but yet again clips from 10 years of tuftex blow to pops are consistent with sizes and necks that I am getting today. But someone who has hands-on experience would know better.
      And I ask myself, why? and all I hear is the cold, dead silence of the cosmos.

Comment

• darcynader
        • Nov 2018

A couple of threads about this that spring to mind...

These are shit. They are harder to blow up and pop well before the 17" rating, I estimate 14-15" and that's your lot. It's the colour, the forrest green somehow makes the balloon less rubbery if that makes any sense. I won't buy these again.

Comment

• Meililoon
          aka lyckr
          • Sep 2014

This checks out with what we've experienced in the pat few years. The new Tuf-tex get a lot harder and smaller. For me it's been more noticable with the 17" than the 24". Haven't had a problem with them randomly popping yet, but I only bought a small handful of them all in the same color (crystal blue)

Comment

• bot311
            • Jan 2024

I think there was a change during the pandemic years. I'd say between 2020-2022 because I noticed that after deflation the TT balloons they looked like glass.

Now they seem normal again. They look the same as before the pandemic. I mean they are stiff at first but already the second inflation gets them huge and I have never had random pops with them.

Comment

• Dust of the Saturn
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by bot311
              I think there was a change during the pandemic years. I'd say between 2020-2022 because I noticed that after deflation the TT balloons they looked like glass.

Now they seem normal again. They look the same as before the pandemic. I mean they are stiff at first but already the second inflation gets them huge and I have never had random pops with them.
              Your second paragraph might be aligned with my experience. First time I bought tuftex was in 2023. Second inflation gets them to 21 inch in sizes. First inflation is stiff and gets them to 16 - 17 inch but they're very tough.

Hopefully we can get someone to actually confirm this. At the end of the day If I can consistently get mine to 21 inches on second inflation, then I see no problem. There's a guy on here who was able to get the crystal purple ones to 24 inches (raated size is 17!!). found the thread, Here it is. Last page.

I'm confident there is a piece of the puzzle I'm missing, and knowing tuftex, I wouldn't be surprised if it was their new colors or some newer dye chemical that they tried to use. Their different colors make their balloons inflate differently.
              Last edited by Dust of the Saturn; 07-05-2024, 19:54.

Comment

• bigb2bang
                • Sep 2023

Pre-covid there was typically a back stock at the factory. The stock was aged, certain colors and sizes were only produced a couple times a year. Then right before Covid new owners took over the factory. They streamlined the inventory management and created a more just in time inventory model. This eliminated the need for keeping back stock. At the same time all of this was going on balloons had boom in popularity. The factory sold through it’s stock rapidly and it got to the point where stuff was sold before it was produced. They added shifts and could not keep up with production. This meant there was no way to keep a back stock for the last couple years. The formula did not change but the length of time it takes to get balloons did. They are fresher than they have ever been. If you want the balloons of old just store them for year or so. Some of the new colors do perform differently but the older colors should perform the same after some storage time. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Casey88
                  lukmanrewa
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by bigb2bang
                  If you want the balloons of old just store them for year or so. Some of the new colors do perform differently but the older colors should perform the same after some storage time. Hope this helps.
                  But Tuftex balloons are the WORST for storage, they tend to get sticky in 6 months time. 1 year and they are of no use.
                  The storage quality is different compared to other brands. I had Q16s still going strong despite their age.

Comment

• Auslon11
                    • Jan 2022

Tuf tex do get sticky thats true. What can you do about it? any ideas?

Comment

• grizzleylooner
                      • Aug 2023

I've always found that tuftex go sticky and don't keep well too, however..... based on what bigb2bang said, they could have been a year or more old before we even got them.
                      Probably worth storing a load and testing some every few months to see how they're going.

Comment

• AJK64
                        • Jun 2018

I definitely noticed a difference in the way tuftex balloons reacted over time. Old style/formula tuftex were incredibly stretchy, even on first inflation. They would remain quite soft and neck out well. My main experience was with crystal TT14's. I did notice towards the end of the 14 inchers run that my last few bags were very different in the way they behaved. You could still easily neck them, but on first inflation they would get firm and hard at rated size. None of the old softness. And even on subsequent inflation it was hard to get them much bigger. The change happened around 2019 time from what I remember. I still have some of the newer 14 inchers in storage and they have kept pretty well, but haven't changed in softness etc. Old tuftex had a very distinct smell too. Not the nicest smell for a balloon tbh, but I am guessing that it was something to do with high percentages of latex in the mix, which might also explain the softness? Its true that old style tuftex had very bad storage qualities and would degrade and go sticky after a while. But I would trade that just to have the old soft, stretchy tuftex back again (particularly the legendary 14 inchers).

Comment

• Dust of the Saturn
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by bigb2bang
                          Pre-covid there was typically a back stock at the factory. The stock was aged, certain colors and sizes were only produced a couple times a year. Then right before Covid new owners took over the factory. They streamlined the inventory management and created a more just in time inventory model. This eliminated the need for keeping back stock. At the same time all of this was going on balloons had boom in popularity. The factory sold through it’s stock rapidly and it got to the point where stuff was sold before it was produced. They added shifts and could not keep up with production. This meant there was no way to keep a back stock for the last couple years. The formula did not change but the length of time it takes to get balloons did. They are fresher than they have ever been. If you want the balloons of old just store them for year or so. Some of the new colors do perform differently but the older colors should perform the same after some storage time. Hope this helps.
                          Would you mind stating your sources? is this official info or speculation? I want this to be true because this means we're actually getting cheese now. Just age it to your liking lol.

Comment

• bigb2bang
                            • Sep 2023

First hand experience at the factory.

Comment

• Casey88
                              lukmanrewa
                              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Auslon11
                              Tuf tex do get sticky thats true. What can you do about it? any ideas?
                              I tried to coat it with talc powder, kept it inside a ziploc bag, inside an airtight container away from sunlight and oxygen. Same thing I did with Qualatex. However only Qualatex remained vigilant, while Tuftex still ended up sticky.

Comment

Working...