Durability of clear balloons

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b0f0s0f
    • Nov 2016

Maybe he was thinking of polyisoprene, which is what some latex-free condoms are made of. But clear balloons are definitely made of regular latex. Balloons probably have some synthetic additives, but are mostly natural latex.

Comment

• frankfrank
      Empathetic Harmonizer
      • Feb 2018

I've noticed that green balloons tend to be strong, among the choice of colored ones.
      People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

• LoonerHans
        • Oct 2018

Originally posted by cl23
        @LoonerHans
        Sorry, but that is not true.
        Most condoms and also clear transparent balloons are made of 100% natural rubber. In its original state, it is clear and transparent and has no color at all. That is, what makes these balloons that strong. (There do exist condoms made from other materials in case you have a latex allergy, but that is NOT the standard due to limited flexibility).
        From neoprene you can manufacture wetsuits, but not balloons. Maybe you confused that with chloroprene, but only wheater balloons are made out of this material, no balloons for decoration.

Also Cattex balloons are made of 100% natural rubber, as it is written on the bag, they are sold in, what applies to almost every normal toy or decorative balloon in the world.
        Polyisoprene is the compound found in the natural rubber. And if u ever lookup about the material used in high quality clear balloons, they use neoprene too. I've already explained that balloons using neoprene would be hell costly.

We humans make synthetic compounds by seeing the chemistry of natural compounds. For example: Insulin was derived from pig pancreas earlier until biotechnology arrived and we started making insulin through it.

But this is true that the monomer u find in natural rubber is isoprene. Hence, the polymer of it would be polyisoprene (the simplest I can tell u without adding the names of the functional groups in the branches).

P.S nobody knows what do these balloon companies mix in their products so yeah, who knows.
        NECKING IS AWESOME!

Comment

• Unicks
          • Nov 2020

Originally posted by LoonerHans

Polyisoprene is the compound found in the natural rubber. And if u ever lookup about the material used in high quality clear balloons, they use neoprene too. I've already explained that balloons using neoprene would be hell costly.

We humans make synthetic compounds by seeing the chemistry of natural compounds. For example: Insulin was derived from pig pancreas earlier until biotechnology arrived and we started making insulin through it.

But this is true that the monomer u find in natural rubber is isoprene. Hence, the polymer of it would be polyisoprene (the simplest I can tell u without adding the names of the functional groups in the branches).

P.S nobody knows what do these balloon companies mix in their products so yeah, who knows.
          Just for clarity as I didn't get the insulin reference..

Comment

• LoonerHans
            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Unicks

Just for clarity as I didn't get the insulin reference..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyisoprene
            Insulin is a vital hormone to control blood sugar levels in the body. Before the advent of gene cloning, insulin was extracted from the pancreas (the organ producing insulin) of pigs from slaughterhouses. But this pig insulin caused reactions in the body of the diabetic patients with the risk of infection.
            Then came Herbert Boyer who produced the idea of synthesizing drugs and hormones essential in the medical field through gene cloning. Boyer's gene cloning method enabled production of human insulin artificially and was a remarkable achievement in the field of medical science.

This was a prime example of how we humans tend to produce stuff which are identical to nature by learning their chemistry.

As u can read in the Wikipedia, or through multiple sources, isoprene is the main unit in the natural rubber. Just like the beads on a string, each bead is the isoprene unit and multiple beads joined together makes the polyisoprene (natural rubber).

Chemistry has enabled to synthesize polyisoprene from petroleum products through many different reaction pathways one of them being the Ziegler-Natta polymerization.

I hope I cleared your doubt!

NECKING IS AWESOME!

Comment

Working...