Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hk980
    • Nov 2021

Accelerated Balloon Rot

I've just noticed a pattern among some VERY old balloons I've blown up recently. All of my q24s are fine with the exception of the green ones. The green ones were terribly oxidized and rotted. Now I just found some equally as old and oxidized and rotten generic 24 inch balloons from an unknown source. And just now, some old tuftex. All in crystal green.

Have any of you noticed a trend with green and accelerated rot?
  • Dust of the Saturn
    Stretched like space-time
    • Feb 2018

Not with rot, but definitely with tightness and stretchiness. I inflated and necked a crystal green tuftex and left it in my room for 4 days straight. The balloon was very oxidized and then finally exploded on its own. The thing, however, is that the balloon exploded laterally, and perfectly. Like a vertical cross section. The latex was also not stretched at all. Same as fresh, only difference is smell. Other tuftex colors would crumble into a sticky ball of rubber. I'll try to upload some pictures.

20231127_214121.jpg20231127_214147.jpg
    And I ask myself, why? and all I hear is the cold, dead silence of the cosmos.

Comment

• Danniballoon
      • Mar 2018

I have a big box of Q36's that I bought as previously used. I find cetain colours have deteriorated more, especially the greens. Seems to be the more transparent ones, whereas the opaque ones are in a better condition.

Comment

• Sit2Pop
        Certified Looner
        • Oct 2023

Some of my old balloons have experienced degradation, but especially transparent balloons, as well as cheaper brands (convenience store balloons) seem to degrade faster than others. I remember I used to have 24 inch gender reveal balloons, which were great, but seemed to degrade relatively fast. I do want to get more though if possible to test for sure.

Comment

• AJK64
          • Jun 2018

Tuftex are infamous for degrading. Sadly the balloons I enjoy are the ones that remain softer when fully inflated and that often means less vulcanisation, and therefor less longevity

Comment

• Slow DeFlaite
            • Apr 2023

Green ones have always rotted the Fastest. I don't know why.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
              • May 2020

My red Q24s went bad faster than the others. The clear, pale blue, orange and crystal yellow are still holding up just fine. Tuftex go bad fast because they are an outdoor balloon and are formulated to degrade faster (my opinion and not verified).

Comment

Working...