Old 30-05-2022, 05:23 PM

Blueballoondude89 is on a distinguished road
Default Colors of the Mickey shaped balloons at Disney World
I wonder if there’s a “timeline” somewhere of all the different assortments of colors over the years. In the 70s there was dark green and orange included. Only ones I know of are:

1982 to about 1993?: Red, yellow, light dark blue, pink. In 1991
they added the white Disney World logo with Mickey’s face. In the 80s it was black. Or someone stop me if I’m wrong regarding the print update. It had to be around 1991. Or 1992? I feel like in pics I saw of the park in 1991, the print was still black.

1993-2009 ish: Ruby, citrine, sapphire, emerald, pink, light blue, Quartz. After 2010 they did away with the light blue. Sometime in late 95 or 1996, they updated the Disney logo to the current one. On both the latex and Mylars. I think in 1992 or 1993 they put Minnie on the other side of those silver Mylar balloons. I also saw some B-roll footage of the Magic Kingdom on YouTube from like 1994 and the balloon vendor had what appeared to be the standard blue red and yellow instead of the Jewel tones.

Late 2006, they started using the Deco bubbles.

I noticed in 2014, they got rid of the Citrine and replaced it with plain yellow. Then in 2019-2020, they updated the assortment to include lilac, periwinkle, and Goldenrod. I also noticed they have a 16 inch white round one with the black logo on it. In the deco bubble. That appeared around 2018. I think they have orange Mickey’s around Halloween. Come on Qualatex, release those to the public!

At Disneyland, it was pretty much the same thing until the early 90s when they included GOLDENROD and LILAC!!! I saw a home video from 1993 and somebody had 3 balloons. Red, lilac and goldenrod. They even started doing them in the Deco Bubbles around 1999. Does anyone know if there’s more pictures of the 90s era Disneyland balloons anywhere? I saw one taken in 1995 but it was the Donald Duck shaped Mylars. I did see a commercial advertising the 40th anniversary and there were bunches of balloons there too, it looked like there was still Goldenrod in the mix!

Last edited by Blueballoondude89; 30-05-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 30-05-2022, 08:34 PM

Loonorm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Colors of the Mickey shaped balloons at Disney World
I wish that I could remember the movie that I saw a couple of years ago, but they had Disney balloons with the mouse head having black ears, like the Disney ear hats. I just wish they were bigger than 16”. The package that I had, the colors were blue, red, and yellow.
Old 30-05-2022, 09:14 PM

SAF is an unknown quantity at this point
do they still have latex mouse heads. I was wondering since it seems Qualex discontinued them to the public.

I use to work at Disneyland and after the 35th year celebration they sold off all of there stock of balloons with the 35th year logo on them to the cast members. I believe the price was $1.00 a bag of 144. I think I bought 10 bags. I think I have a few balloons left... well past their prime.

Also I found these pictures a few years ago... Look to be 36" mouse head. I would love to find these but never found any. I think the are the same brand Disney parks use just much bigger... Anyone here have any ideas.

https://flic.kr/p/vdsrWm

https://flic.kr/p/vsJ6tQ

https://flic.kr/p/uy2dCb

https://flic.kr/p/vv2THM
Old 30-05-2022, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by SAF View Post
do they still have latex mouse heads. I was wondering since it seems Qualex discontinued them to the public.

I use to work at Disneyland and after the 35th year celebration they sold off all of there stock of balloons with the 35th year logo on them to the cast members. I believe the price was $1.00 a bag of 144. I think I bought 10 bags. I think I have a few balloons left... well past their prime.

Also I found these pictures a few years ago... Look to be 36" mouse head. I would love to find these but never found any. I think the are the same brand Disney parks use just much bigger... Anyone here have any ideas.

I noticed that the 35th anniversary balloons had the castle as the logo on some of them!!! I always LOVED how the dark blue had the white print on it and the others had black. I think around late 1989 is when they were seen. I was watching the Disneyland Fun Singalong Video and based on the park having none of the 35 years redecorating (not to mention no Dream Machine!) it had to be around the fall of 1989 when they filmed that video. I even noticed sweatshirts in the gift shop. Did they really release stuff early? If you can find those balloons, that would be awesome!!!!!! I’m kind of ticked off that Qualatex discontinued them to the public :angry:

Last edited by Blueballoondude89; 30-05-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old 31-05-2022, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Blueballoondude89 View Post
I noticed that the 35th anniversary balloons had the castle as the logo on some of them!!! I always LOVED how the dark blue had the white print on it and the others had black. I think around late 1989 is when they were seen. I was watching the Disneyland Fun Singalong Video and based on the park having none of the 35 years redecorating (not to mention no Dream Machine!) it had to be around the fall of 1989 when they filmed that video. I even noticed sweatshirts in the gift shop. Did they really release stuff early? If you can find those balloons, that would be awesome!!!!!! I’m kind of ticked off that Qualatex discontinued them to the public :angry:
Yes the released that stuff early. I remember them filming all of the time and always has a TON of balloons. They use to have private parties with thousand and thousand of balloons. Everything from 11" all the way to 6'. I am not joking. They used a lot of 14" Q at the time. They would have 6 foot balloons held down with balloon columns 50 feet tall... I hated working those nights as they would pop all of the balloons. I remember they had 20 or so 35 gal trash bags just filled with popped balloons they just left in my way. I had to move them and you would not believe how heavy the bags where. I would loved to have taken some home or even untie them but that was taboo.

Speaking of black and white printing. I was working up in the attic of the Hunted Mansion and had to access some equipment. Some how a mickey balloon floated up in to this are. You could tell it had been there for a very long time and had deflated. It was all stretched out... I am sure you know what I mean. Anyway it had both back and white printing on it. Black ears and white face. I went to would pick it up... as soon as I touched it it just crumbled.
Old 31-05-2022, 10:00 AM

Yes the released that stuff early. I remember them filming all of the time and always has a TON of balloons. They use to have private parties with thousand and thousand of balloons. Everything from 11" all the way to 6'. I am not joking. They used a lot of 14" Q at the time. They would have 6 foot balloons held down with balloon columns 50 feet tall... I hated working those nights as they would pop all of the balloons. I remember they had 20 or so 35 gal trash bags just filled with popped balloons they just left in my way. I had to move them and you would not believe how heavy the bags where. I would loved to have taken some home or even untie them but that was taboo.

Speaking of black and white printing. I was working up in the attic of the Hunted Mansion and had to access some equipment. Some how a mickey balloon floated up in to this are. You could tell it had been there for a very long time and had deflated. It was all stretched out... I am sure you know what I mean. Anyway it had both back and white printing on it. Black ears and white face. I went to would pick it up... as soon as I touched it it just crumbled.
Sounds absolutely magical, events with TONS of balloons. I love it love it love it. Except for all the broken ones. So that one in the haunted mansion was probably from like 1961? Lol. They had the black ears in the early 60s.
Old 31-05-2022, 03:05 PM

Sounds absolutely magical, events with TONS of balloons. I love it love it love it. Except for all the broken ones. So that one in the haunted mansion was probably from like 1961? Lol. They had the black ears in the early 60s.
No no… the ears on the balloon where not black the printed Mickey face had black and white not just one color. I think that balloon was from the 70s. The Haunted Mansion didn't open until Aug 1969...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/471400285975392319/
Old 31-05-2022, 04:57 PM

No no… the ears on the balloon where not black the printed Mickey face had black and white not just one color. I think that balloon was from the 70s. The Haunted Mansion didn't open until Aug 1969...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/471400285975392319/
Ahhh I see now. Wow, that balloon must have been up there for at least 20 something years for it to just crumble like that. I really do wonder when they got rid of the green and orange ones, at both Disneyland and WDW. Had to be around 1980 ish. I wish they could bring back the old 2 color print! And now I know why my mom wouldn’t buy me one until we were on the way out of the park. Because who wants to buy one that’s been in the hot sun, and starting to fade? And with a half (or fully) deflated ear? I just noticed in the picture, the vendor has a balloon under his arm that has 2 deflated ears. I read that years and years ago, they would take the deflated ones, untie them, put them in a special dryer to “unstretch” and restore them, and they could be reused! That’s kind of awesome!

Also, one other question. When the bags were being sold after the anniversary was over, were they in the old style Qualatex bags with the creepy clown on them? I have one of those bags lol. I saw a pic on Flickr that was taken in August 1992 and the balloons still had the 35 Years print on them. Were those still seen around the park even through 1992? If there were thousands of them leftover, I wouldn’t be surprised!

Last edited by Blueballoondude89; 31-05-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 31-05-2022, 05:59 PM

Ahhh I see now. Wow, that balloon must have been up there for at least 20 something years for it to just crumble like that. I really do wonder when they got rid of the green and orange ones, at both Disneyland and WDW. Had to be around 1980 ish. I wish they could bring back the old 2 color print! And now I know why my mom wouldn’t buy me one until we were on the way out of the park. Because who wants to buy one that’s been in the hot sun, and starting to fade? And with a half (or fully) deflated ear? I just noticed in the picture, the vendor has a balloon under his arm that has 2 deflated ears. I read that years and years ago, they would take the deflated ones, untie them, put them in a special dryer to “unstretch” and restore them, and they could be reused! That’s kind of awesome!
Yes they would deflate them if they lost the ears... Back when I worked there they use this red thread for the string. It was like a heavy sewing thread. When they inflated them they would twirl the balloon holding the neck to wrap the thread around the neck to "tie" them. To deflate they pulled the "tail" of the thread and untwirl it. The would then put them in a dryer to shrink them down. You never saw a balloon vender running out of or low on balloons. That would be bad show. In the event one popped they just needed to turn the neck back in for credit. And no it wasn't a special dryer. If memory serves me right it was just a runt of the mill Kenmore dryer. Disney and Sears had a relationship back then.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:12 AM

LoonerHoax is on a distinguished road

Those big mouse ears were used by Disney for the LA Pride parade a few years ago. I emailed Qualatex about them but never got a response. I've also emailed Qualatex about a 36" deco bubble to be able to put one of the Cattex giant mouse heads in. The emails went back and forth a few times and then died. I've tried with a Q36, but it doesn't work that well.