Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • balloonPatcher
    • Jun 2020

Ebay Vintage Punch balloon sale

I followed two Ebay auctions a few weeks ago. Two vintage punch balloons from the mid 1960's came up for sale. I contacted the seller about the balloons and they were 13" in length and 3 oz (80-85 gm) in weight. They were Beatles collector items. The pink one went for $480 USD and the yellow went for about $443 USD!! Just incredible.

beatles01.jpg

beatles06.jpg
  • Merl
    Hopper research dept.
    • Apr 2021

Re: Ebay Vintage Punch balloon sale

Almost certainly not.

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
      • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Blown2Bits
      They seem like really thick latex considering they weight as much as two 36" balloons. So I would not be sure about it. Plus back then they used different additives to the latex that no longer get used nowadays due to health concerns. I would definitely try to inflate them if I would get my hands on them. But paying triple digits for them is just crazy.
      Additives to the latex … is that why the shades of color in Qualatex standard colors are much darker than they were back in the 60s 70s 80s etc? I really want old school yellow, dark blue and dark green!!!

Comment

• Punchballer
        • Jan 2022

I bought three of those same kind of punch balls on Ebay during the 2000's. Except they are not "The Beatles" ball which can go for a very high price! Two of mine were the "Romper Room" punch balls and other a regular crazy striped punch ball. All three are really big like those Beatle balls rated at 18" maximum size. However from the looks of them capable of well over 20". A hard plastic inflation tube is provided to help you inflate them with a service station air hose. I couldn't resist the temptation to blow up one of the "Romper Room" balls to see if it would inflate. I blew up the 30 year old ball to at least 17" in diameter! I played with it for a moment before deciding to give it a squeeze to make it more round like I remembered them to be. Suddenly "Boom" it burst. That's all it took but amazingly it did blow up. I still have the other two balls in their packages and I won't try to use them. They're just collectables. My curiosity satisfied.

Comment

• Merl
          Hopper research dept.
          • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Punchballer
          I bought three of those same kind of punch balls on Ebay during the 2000's. Except they are not "The Beatles" ball which can go for a very high price! Two of mine were the "Romper Room" punch balls and other a regular crazy striped punch ball. All three are really big like those Beatle balls rated at 18" maximum size. However from the looks of them capable of well over 20". A hard plastic inflation tube is provided to help you inflate them with a service station air hose. I couldn't resist the temptation to blow up one of the "Romper Room" balls to see if it would inflate. I blew up the 30 year old ball to at least 17" in diameter! I played with it for a moment before deciding to give it a squeeze to make it more round like I remembered them to be. Suddenly "Boom" it burst. That's all it took but amazingly it did blow up. I still have the other two balls in their packages and I won't try to use them. They're just collectables. My curiosity satisfied.
          Many years ago I found a three pack in an antique mall. They were probably 1950s. Somewhat sticky and brittle, they got to about 12 inches before they blew out.

Not to jack the thread but what did you think of the 22 inch CTI punch balls? Is there anything current that's close to comparable?
          Last edited by Merl; 31-07-2022, 14:47.

Comment

• Punchballer
            • Jan 2022

Comment

• Punchballer
              • Jan 2022

I tried the CTIs too. Size wise probably bigger rated at 22". But not as thick and more like the typical punch balls of today. You can't hardly see the flutes or lines in these balls either which for me takes away the attractiveness.

Comment

• Punchballer
                • Jan 2022

This is another vintage punch ball from the eighties. I had one of these then. A beautiful silver color rated at 18" maximum size. This was during my early days of my balloon fetish activities. I didn't have the courage to blow to pop it as I chickened out after I got it to 18". I popped it with a pin as the ball just opened up with the rubber loosely spread out. Makes me think it still had a ways to go before popping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/233612761059 Oh, sorry to mention popping for you non poppers. Forgot the forum I'm in.
                Last edited by Punchballer; 31-07-2022, 16:28. Reason: Apology

Comment

• Punchballer
                  • Jan 2022

These are some of the vintage punch balls I purchased last year on Ebay. $10.00 for a pack of 20 or less depending on how many you were buying. I eventually bought all he had left. I prefer these over the kinds out there today. Sadly I contacted the manufacturer here in the US and they told me these punch balls have been discontinued. They could not compete with the cheaper import brands. I will enjoy my stash till I run out them. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tqNkjZdWZzt5vkPr9
                  Last edited by Punchballer; 10-08-2022, 02:43. Reason: improper URL

Comment

• balloonPatcher
                    • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Punchballer
                    I have some smaller 16" punch balloons from the late 1980's and early 1990's.
                    I inflate them to about 6 to 8" and check for weak areas and re enforce them with latex from other balloons. Then I would do a few cycles of inflating say first to 10", deflate then 12" and deflate and so on. I have two punch balloons from the 1970's and even with re enforcement, both were not inflatable. I would love pictures of the size and weight to these larger 20" punch balloons to commission a mold to be made in order to reproduce them.

Comment

• Punchballer
                      • Jan 2022

It would be great if someone was able to recreate these same kind of punch balls. The rubber is thicker than punch balls of today too.

Comment

• Punchballer
                        • Jan 2022

Originally posted by Blown2Bits
                        I wonder if they can still be inflated after such a long time
                        It all depends on how well the ball was kept. I wouldn't advise trying to inflate it.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎