Are all negative curves destructive / vulnerable?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Thud Joe
    • May 2017

Are all negative curves destructive / vulnerable?

Finally saved up to get some custom inflatables made, I'm in the process of getting a lifesize figure made, but am also fantasizing of getting a large inflatable foot / boot made, once refined, then getting quite a few dozen made.

Think of the older inflatable santa clauses from the 70s and 80s, rmember the bottom inflatable part was black beach ball PVC resembling a boot.

I would like to get a huge shape of the boot portion, about 64 inch tall, and the bottom soul part about 10 to 12 inch wide and about 24 inch long. It would basically resemble an inflatable cylinder at the top, with the foot portion coming out at the bottom.

My only question is, even with welded / reinforced seams, and reverse seams, would the negative curve at the top of the foot section be vulnerable. I'm actually hoping that the seams can be made strong enough, that a thinner gauged PVC can be used, something like 0.12mm.

I'm wont be sitting on these, or popping them, more so just for poking up my balls, and rubbing the curved section into that part as this is what ultimately arouses me.

Is there anyway around this, or is this just physics of air pressure and the curve shape? THe template will basically be two halves (left and right) joined together, with a round circle to fill in the top.
  • frenchy
    • Sep 2018

Re: Are all negative curves destructive / vulnerable?

Negative curves always need reinforcement since the stress pulls a disproportionate amount in that area relative to the rest of the material. I would use a slightly thicker material and an extra piece of reinforcement material on the negative curve.

Comment

• EthylTheAardvark
      • Nov 2016

Designing them as a separate chamber seems to help. You can minimize the stress on the curves if it's not all one piece.

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
        • May 2017

Originally posted by frenchy
        Negative curves always need reinforcement since the stress pulls a disproportionate amount in that area relative to the rest of the material. I would use a slightly thicker material and an extra piece of reinforcement material on the negative curve.
        Yeah, good point, I spose they can add a reinforcement strip on the inside of the inflatable, directly underneath the curve. My arousal always comes from holding lighter and thinner PVCs (give extra sense of vulnerability), so I'm hoping I can get away with the reinforcement strip on the inside, with a welded seam construction.

Seperate chaimbers ruin the nuance and the visual appeal for me, so not really sure on this. I'll suggest the reinforcement in the schematics, but if in the end it's not going to hold up, then this particular looner fantasy will most probably stay that.

Comment

• Whale Rider
          • Nov 2022

the mechanical stress on a negative curve is much higher than on a straight seam so yes these places need more attention...

Comment

• loonerlee
            • Dec 2018

Negative seems on shosu I've found are week and would recommend reinforcing. But can only speak for shosu products I've purchased and not other manufacturers.

Comment

• Whale Rider
              • Nov 2022

Originally posted by loonerlee
              Negative seems on shosu I've found are week and would recommend reinforcing. But can only speak for shosu products I've purchased and not other manufacturers.

where exactly?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍