Old 02-09-2022, 02:24 AM

SirSquishy is on a distinguished road
Default Excuses
I don't consider myself a popper, but this seems to be the appropriate section of the forum for this question.

Balloons pop, that's just inevitable. When they do go, they're typically very loud (I know I'm stating the obvious here). So for those of us who live with others, or who live in apartment buildings, what do we say if someone asks "what was that loud noise?" Some balloons are so loud they could be confused with a small caliber gunshot. Thankfully I haven't had anyone ask me this recently, but I honestly don't know what I would say if asked.

I had a ceramic plate crack in the microwave once which was so loud it sounded like a gunshot. Scared the living hell out of me. Accidentally dropping something big and heavy on the floor could also be another excuse.

So what are some excuses you have for those nosy neighbors that might ask what that popping noise was?
Old 02-09-2022, 02:38 AM

Crystal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
Well. I would just innocently say, “You heard that, too? I wonder what it was…”. Unfortunately this is a limited-time-use response.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:45 AM

SirSquishy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
Well. I would just innocently say, “You heard that, too? I wonder what it was…”. Unfortunately this is a limited-time-use response.
I had this thought too. Would definitely work if you knew where the other person was and how close they were in relation to your popping sounds. If they're your next door neighbor in the apt unit next to yours, it might not work. They could probably tell it came from your unit. But if it's a neighbor from a floor or two above or below you, that excuse would definitely work.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:09 AM

Regular Guy is on a distinguished road
Dropping something would be my first excuse, too.

If you don't mind mentioning balloons you could tell you are using balloons for lung/breath training and somtimes they accidentally pop...
Old 02-09-2022, 12:38 PM

Blowitbigger is on a distinguished road
I only now realise how lucky I am living in an independent house surrounded by garden, I can make as much noise as I want and nobody complains about that. Here in Italy fortunately no-one would think that the noise of a balloon popped vould be a gun fired because there are so few guns around that basically only police officers have one and I have never seen a cop using it or even just taking it out of it's folder... Italy and Europe in general is not a place where a loud bang would make people think of a gun fired... we would probably think of something crashed or a car tyre burst rather then a weapon ben fired. Anyways I have never thought about this problem of having to find excuses to justify to neighbours about the noise during loons play.... 🙈🙈🙈🙈 this make me think that when living in a flat you will never be free even if you own your flat you're always limited about what you can do to the point that even a balloon popped or high volume music would trigger neighborhood complaining... that's sad and very stressful... 🙈🙈🙈
Old 02-09-2022, 01:08 PM

Merl is on a distinguished road
Wait for very heavy rains, it mufflers a lot especially if you happen to have a metal roof. Thunder helps too but timing is everything.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:34 PM

Blown2Bits is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blowitbigger View Post
I only now realise how lucky I am living in an independent house surrounded by garden, I can make as much noise as I want and nobody complains about that. Here in Italy fortunately no-one would think that the noise of a balloon popped vould be a gun fired because there are so few guns around that basically only police officers have one and I have never seen a cop using it or even just taking it out of it's folder... Italy and Europe in general is not a place where a loud bang would make people think of a gun fired... we would probably think of something crashed or a car tyre burst rather then a weapon ben fired. Anyways I have never thought about this problem of having to find excuses to justify to neighbours about the noise during loons play.... �������� this make me think that when living in a flat you will never be free even if you own your flat you're always limited about what you can do to the point that even a balloon popped or high volume music would trigger neighborhood complaining... that's sad and very stressful... ������
yes, owning a flat combines the downsides of renting and owning property. I would never buy a flat or row house, at least when you are renting you can easily move somewhere else if the neighbors are a problem.
Best to make sure to test the noise insulation before moving into an appartment. If you can already hear people coughing or talking normally through the walls then it is going to be trash.
I wish people would build 3 foot thick brick walls again instead of drywall and stone wool crap.

Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Wait for very heavy rains, it mufflers a lot especially if you happen to have a metal roof. Thunder helps too but timing is everything.
depending on where you live this is very rare. House here have stone roof tiles and because of climate change rain will happen less regularly. I think it only rained once or twice this summer where I live.

Luckily my parents own this house and so I don't have to worry about noise even though I am renting from them.
Discord: Blown2Bits#9254

Last edited by Blown2Bits; 02-09-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:58 AM

darcynader is on a distinguished road
This seems to come up a lot. Out of interest, has anyone actually received a complaint or been asked to explain? I found one story about hotel security but nothing about neighbours.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:13 PM

Blown2Bits is on a distinguished road
I heared of someone getting the police called on after a single (accidental) balloon pop - appartment building in Germany.
So it is possible, even if you don't have a massive pop session.
Apparently he showed the police that it was just a balloon that popped and he never had trouble with it again (no idea if the neighbors just didn't call the police again or if the police just didn't come to investigate anymore obviously).
Discord: Blown2Bits#9254
Old 03-09-2022, 01:43 PM

Merl is on a distinguished road
STP with the loon covered by a heavy smooth blanket or inside of a larger loon (say, an 18 inflated inside a 36) feels interesting and reduces noise. This probably won't be much help to someone into other kinds of popping, though.

Audio camouflage:

1. Play loudly over speakers a sound file of heavy home renovation...hammering, electric saws, etc.

2. Crank up an old war movie with lots of bombings and artillery.

3. Leave a vacuum running, if possible, in a room nearest to those you don't want hearing your noise (useful for shorter sessions obviously).