Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-09-2022, 02:24 AM
SirSquishy's Avatar
SirSquishy SirSquishy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 199
SirSquishy is on a distinguished road
Default Excuses
I don't consider myself a popper, but this seems to be the appropriate section of the forum for this question.

Balloons pop, that's just inevitable. When they do go, they're typically very loud (I know I'm stating the obvious here). So for those of us who live with others, or who live in apartment buildings, what do we say if someone asks "what was that loud noise?" Some balloons are so loud they could be confused with a small caliber gunshot. Thankfully I haven't had anyone ask me this recently, but I honestly don't know what I would say if asked.

I had a ceramic plate crack in the microwave once which was so loud it sounded like a gunshot. Scared the living hell out of me. Accidentally dropping something big and heavy on the floor could also be another excuse.

So what are some excuses you have for those nosy neighbors that might ask what that popping noise was?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2022, 02:38 AM
Crystal Crystal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: US-Midwest
Posts: 18
Crystal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
Well. I would just innocently say, “You heard that, too? I wonder what it was…”. Unfortunately this is a limited-time-use response.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2022, 02:45 AM
SirSquishy's Avatar
SirSquishy SirSquishy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 199
SirSquishy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
Well. I would just innocently say, “You heard that, too? I wonder what it was…”. Unfortunately this is a limited-time-use response.
I had this thought too. Would definitely work if you knew where the other person was and how close they were in relation to your popping sounds. If they're your next door neighbor in the apt unit next to yours, it might not work. They could probably tell it came from your unit. But if it's a neighbor from a floor or two above or below you, that excuse would definitely work.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2022, 08:09 AM
Regular Guy Regular Guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: D
Posts: 115
Regular Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
Dropping something would be my first excuse, too.

If you don't mind mentioning balloons you could tell you are using balloons for lung/breath training and somtimes they accidentally pop...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2022, 12:38 PM
Blowitbigger Blowitbigger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Italy
Posts: 34
Blowitbigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
I only now realise how lucky I am living in an independent house surrounded by garden, I can make as much noise as I want and nobody complains about that. Here in Italy fortunately no-one would think that the noise of a balloon popped vould be a gun fired because there are so few guns around that basically only police officers have one and I have never seen a cop using it or even just taking it out of it's folder... Italy and Europe in general is not a place where a loud bang would make people think of a gun fired... we would probably think of something crashed or a car tyre burst rather then a weapon ben fired. Anyways I have never thought about this problem of having to find excuses to justify to neighbours about the noise during loons play.... 🙈🙈🙈🙈 this make me think that when living in a flat you will never be free even if you own your flat you're always limited about what you can do to the point that even a balloon popped or high volume music would trigger neighborhood complaining... that's sad and very stressful... 🙈🙈🙈
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2022, 01:08 PM
Merl's Avatar
Merl Merl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 200
Merl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
Wait for very heavy rains, it mufflers a lot especially if you happen to have a metal roof. Thunder helps too but timing is everything.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2022, 03:34 PM
Blown2Bits Blown2Bits is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Germany
Posts: 100
Blown2Bits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
Originally Posted by Blowitbigger View Post
I only now realise how lucky I am living in an independent house surrounded by garden, I can make as much noise as I want and nobody complains about that. Here in Italy fortunately no-one would think that the noise of a balloon popped vould be a gun fired because there are so few guns around that basically only police officers have one and I have never seen a cop using it or even just taking it out of it's folder... Italy and Europe in general is not a place where a loud bang would make people think of a gun fired... we would probably think of something crashed or a car tyre burst rather then a weapon ben fired. Anyways I have never thought about this problem of having to find excuses to justify to neighbours about the noise during loons play.... �������� this make me think that when living in a flat you will never be free even if you own your flat you're always limited about what you can do to the point that even a balloon popped or high volume music would trigger neighborhood complaining... that's sad and very stressful... ������
yes, owning a flat combines the downsides of renting and owning property. I would never buy a flat or row house, at least when you are renting you can easily move somewhere else if the neighbors are a problem.
Best to make sure to test the noise insulation before moving into an appartment. If you can already hear people coughing or talking normally through the walls then it is going to be trash.
I wish people would build 3 foot thick brick walls again instead of drywall and stone wool crap.

Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Wait for very heavy rains, it mufflers a lot especially if you happen to have a metal roof. Thunder helps too but timing is everything.
depending on where you live this is very rare. House here have stone roof tiles and because of climate change rain will happen less regularly. I think it only rained once or twice this summer where I live.

Luckily my parents own this house and so I don't have to worry about noise even though I am renting from them.
__________________
Visit me on YouTube
Discord: Blown2Bits#9254

Last edited by Blown2Bits; 02-09-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2022, 05:58 AM
darcynader darcynader is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
darcynader is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
This seems to come up a lot. Out of interest, has anyone actually received a complaint or been asked to explain? I found one story about hotel security but nothing about neighbours.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2022, 01:13 PM
Blown2Bits Blown2Bits is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Germany
Posts: 100
Blown2Bits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
I heared of someone getting the police called on after a single (accidental) balloon pop - appartment building in Germany.
So it is possible, even if you don't have a massive pop session.
Apparently he showed the police that it was just a balloon that popped and he never had trouble with it again (no idea if the neighbors just didn't call the police again or if the police just didn't come to investigate anymore obviously).
__________________
Visit me on YouTube
Discord: Blown2Bits#9254
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2022, 01:43 PM
Merl's Avatar
Merl Merl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 200
Merl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excuses
STP with the loon covered by a heavy smooth blanket or inside of a larger loon (say, an 18 inflated inside a 36) feels interesting and reduces noise. This probably won't be much help to someone into other kinds of popping, though.

Audio camouflage:

1. Play loudly over speakers a sound file of heavy home renovation...hammering, electric saws, etc.

2. Crank up an old war movie with lots of bombings and artillery.

3. Leave a vacuum running, if possible, in a room nearest to those you don't want hearing your noise (useful for shorter sessions obviously).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.