Old 28-02-2022, 09:11 AM

aron_crow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How about some scientific approach on balloon popping? :-)
Love this thread. Some really interesting revelations.
This probably also explains why pin pops leaves big shreds and why sit pops breaks it into a million pieces.

Last edited by aron_crow; 28-02-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:54 AM

RubberTech is on a distinguished road
The key parameter controlling the size of the shreds and the bursting of the balloon itself is not the internal pressure but the stress in the rubber membrane, which depends not only on the pressure but also on the thickness and curvature of the membrane. The higher this stress, the faster the crack moves to dissipate the stress when the balloon pops. But there's a limit to the speed a crack can travel through rubber so when the stress goes above this threshold, the only way the crack can dissipate stress faster is to split into more cracks. In other words, the higher the stress, the more elastic energy is stored in the balloon, and then the more numerous the fractures need to be to release the stored energy. So a balloon that is B2P will usually produce more smaller shreds and a balloon that is popped with a pin will release all its stress along two or three cracks and result in just a few large pieces.
Old 04-03-2022, 01:26 AM

Asclepio is on a distinguished road
Wow Rubbertech, your answers really exceed the average, thanks for explaining some physics to us mere mortals c:
Old 04-03-2022, 03:32 AM

zhilman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RubberTech View Post
The key parameter controlling the size of the shreds and the bursting of the balloon itself is not the internal pressure but the stress in the rubber membrane, which depends not only on the pressure but also on the thickness and curvature of the membrane.
Does this means that at smaller sizes, if the balloon fails, the fracture will not result in shreds because of the high thickness of the balloon when it was small in size?
Old 04-03-2022, 06:56 AM

RubberTech is on a distinguished road
At a smaller size there is not as much surface tension on the balloon membrane so the lower stress means the crack doesn't have to move as fast to dissipate the stress when the balloon pops. Also, at a smaller size or when underinflated, the cause of a failure is usually due to a flaw or weak point in the latex meaning the stress will dissipate along one or two cracks emanating from the weak point.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:22 AM

Has anyone done some measurements on the sizes of the balloons vs the popping loudness (in db).
I tried that with 9" and 11" balloons and found them to nearly be the same (using an android app to measure the sound), there was very less background noise but I feel that the results were inaccurate. Would love to see if anyone else had the same idea.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:14 AM

heleo is on a distinguished road
The balloon pops are very loud, you phone is going to clip and not be able to record the peaks.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:15 PM

srob2 is on a distinguished road
"A Weight" vs "C Weight" is going to make a big difference for larger balloons. Both are probably relevant. A high "A weight" is going to sound loud, but a high "C weight" will shake the room and possibly the neighbors.

168 is quoted all over the internet for a Unique 9" b2p.

The "A weight" are going to be about the same for different sizes - of course Belbals and Tuftex will be louder than Uniques. "C weight" will be higher the larger the balloon.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:11 PM

Common Loon is on a distinguished road
Pop-science is one of my favorite topics ever

Here's something I'm still wondering about. When a balloon pops at very low strain - say, because of an unseen defect in the latex - it always bursts into only one or two big pieces. But it also tends to make a serrated, jagged edge on the shreds (like this shape, LOL: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/nj84rzlzp9 ).

I have a theory about why this happens, and only happens in low pressure bursts, but I'm interested to hear others' thoughts!
Old 06-03-2022, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by srob2 View Post
"A Weight" vs "C Weight" is going to make a big difference for larger balloons. Both are probably relevant. A high "A weight" is going to sound loud, but a high "C weight" will shake the room and possibly the neighbors.

168 is quoted all over the internet for a Unique 9" b2p.

The "A weight" are going to be about the same for different sizes - of course Belbals and Tuftex will be louder than Uniques. "C weight" will be higher the larger the balloon.
168 db? wow. My phone measured somewhere along the lines of 95-100 db.