Old 22-03-2022, 03:40 AM

RubberTech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How about some scientific approach on balloon popping? :-)
No I'm pretty sure it was Qtex factory because the balloon they inflated was a big heart shaped balloon and the TV show was called "How Its Made"
Old 29-07-2022, 11:26 AM

yet_another_aussie is on a distinguished road
Thread resurrect, stumbled upon this, yknow, googling about balloons n stuff.... normal behaviour....

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._When_They_Pop

I'm interested in their conclusion that balloons aren't an impulse noise. Thoughts?
Old 29-07-2022, 10:37 PM

Blown2Bits is on a distinguished road
It seems like they only measured pin pops. Maybe pops due to overinflation work differently? There loudness is also much less than overinflation. Overinflation can cause pops that are upto 165db and in this research paper they reached noise levels of less than a typical lawn mower.

I currently use a Rode K2 for my videos. It is rated for sounds upto 162db. Before I used a Rode VideoMic Pro+ which is rated for upto 133db. Ever since switching I hear a lot less clipping when balloons pop. But it can still happen.
Discord: Blown2Bits#9254

Last edited by Blown2Bits; 29-07-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old 30-07-2022, 08:59 PM
Empathetic Harmonizer

frankfrank is on a distinguished road
My guess is that if a balloon is pin-popped just before the time it would have popped from overinflation (i. e. after the last possible breath it can take), the noise will be fairly close to the 165dB. Usually balloons are pin-popped before that maximum point. When going past 98%-99% capacity overinflation, the noise may increase drastically when it is popped via B2P.

This is just a guess...

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939
Old 31-07-2022, 12:53 AM

b0f0s0f is on a distinguished road
That's a fascinating paper, neat to see that they found an entirely different mechanism from the two standard hypotheses. Love to see that we're not the only ones interested in this stuff

I've been trying to see if I could come up with any interesting metrology experiments involving balloons, like optical techniques for precisely measuring the skin thickness of a balloon, but I haven't settled on anything concrete yet. Optics is only tangential to my field of study so I'm not the most fluent in its application.
Old 31-07-2022, 01:00 AM

Blown2Bits is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by frankfrank View Post
My guess is that if a balloon is pin-popped just before the time it would have popped from overinflation (i. e. after the last possible breath it can take), the noise will be fairly close to the 165dB. Usually balloons are pin-popped before that maximum point. When going past 98%-99% capacity overinflation, the noise may increase drastically when it is popped via B2P.

This is just a guess...
That is quite possible, but good luck hitting the right moment. Plus not every balloon would reach 165db anyway. You can b2p 10 balloons from one lot and each one will sound a bit different. If you take balloons from different lots, brands, colours and brands the differences become even bigger.

Originally Posted by srob2 View Post
Big difference between an impulse and a sustained sound wave. 1 second at 130db is painful, 1 millisecond is not. The 169 study includes a MPE showing how many pops are safe. A b2p 0.5 meters from a child's ear is safe, but only once per day. Adults can safely b2p 13 per day.

I am sure manufacturers run tests. Balloons are made to pop, and they don't want to make unsafe products. I have seen another study showing levels from different sized balloons, and they all burst around the same level. Must be a fun job - being told to make something as difficult to pop as possible without going over 170db, then overinflating and measuring prototypes, and randomly overinflating a few balloons from every batch for quality control.
I don't think even 1 b2p is save per day. If you experience pain, discomfort, unusual sounds (like tinitus) it is save to say you caused permanent ear damage. Is it enough to matter in the long run? Who knows. But better to be save than sorry.

It is the same with the time you are allowed to stay in the sun per day with x skin colour and y UV intensity. I would guess even 1 second in the sun would leave some permanent damage, even if it is not visible or measureable without an electron microscope.

There are lots of things in life where zero is the actual safety limit. But governments and scientists usually allow some tolerance levels because otherwise society would collapse.

Aging is not magic, it is just the sum of permanent damage that the body experiences during its lifetime.
Discord: Blown2Bits#9254

Last edited by Blown2Bits; 31-07-2022 at 01:08 AM.
Old 31-07-2022, 06:49 PM
Empathetic Harmonizer

frankfrank is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blown2Bits View Post
not every balloon would reach 165db anyway. You can b2p 10 balloons from one lot and each one will sound a bit different.
True. If one were to B2P a weather balloon (don't try this by mouth, lol), it would be more of a "FOOF!" when it pops, more that than a very "sharp" snap sound.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939
Old 08-08-2022, 05:55 PM

kahuna09 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RubberTech View Post
No I'm pretty sure it was Qtex factory because the balloon they inflated was a big heart shaped balloon and the TV show was called "How Its Made"
i know that exact show that you are talking about at the very end of the episode she puts a huge heart on the valve and blows it up huge and then holds it in front of a florescent light and looks for defects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asrhvc4dPg

think this is the one that you are talking about.