Popping balloons by degrading them using oil(s)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jup
    Slow-pop enthousiast
    • Aug 2021

Popping balloons by degrading them using oil(s)?

I've been thinking about making the popping of balloons deliberate but unpredictable without just blowing them bigger and bigger until they pop, think of it as as a slightly more passive but surefire way to force a failure.

I have not tested anything yet but the first thing that comes to mind would be degrading the latex using mineral oil or another "oily" substance like vaseline(petroleum jelly). The worry here is that it would be a little quick to burst but I have yet to test this.

What other products will slowly degrade latex over the course of roughly 10-30 minutes?
  • Exaturbo
    • Feb 2021

Re: Popping balloons by degrading them using oil(s)?

WD40 will slowly eat the latex.
    Lemon juice will almost instantly pop them.

Not sure about other substances

Comment

• loonerlee
      • Dec 2018

Baby oil should work

Comment

• lucid
        • Sep 2016

Tea tree oil will pop your balloons. You can dilute it with water and play with the ratios to prolong the pop to your liking. It won't mix evenly but enough to get the job done.

Comment

• Merciless indian Babe
          • Feb 2022

Nice Idea, I am thing i should try it with my vaginal fluids, as they are mildly acidic. Lets see its if destroys balloons over a period of time.

Comment

• AJK64
            • Jun 2018

Acid wont do anything to a balloon. Latex is very acid stable (which is why laboratory staff wear latex gloves when handling acids). You could dip a balloon in very concentrated hydrochloric acid without it being damaged.

Non polar oils (such as lemon oil or wd40) will degrade natural latex due to the oil breaking the bonds that hold the latex polymer together.

Comment

• Jup
              Slow-pop enthousiast
              • Aug 2021

So far the things that worked for direct popping has been de WD40 and Baby oil. Thanks for the suggestions. As AJK64 said the non-polar oils get the job done. While vaseline and some random oily thing I had laying around do weaken the latex it is not really to the point of popping. More to the point of "I can poke my finger trough the latex here without the balloon shredding" type of weakening.

Now to see what ratios do. Ethanol/Alcohol should do nothing do balloons and mixes with oils. Time for more experimentation fun.

Comment

• AJK64
                • Jun 2018

Youve got me curious now too. Your idea of using alcohol to dilute the oil could definitely work. Try and get some 99% isopropyl alcohol. The less water the better mix you can achieve.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎