Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • masseylooner
    • Mar 2016

The Perfect Date I - The First Date

This is my first story that i have written in years, so please sugar coat your criticism xD

The Perfect Date I, The First Date

I have had a crush on one girl pretty much my entire life. I remember walking through the corridors in high school just listening to her beautiful laugh and staring at her breath-taking smile. Everything about her was perfect, from her diamond blue eyes to her crazy but wonderful curly blonde hair. I spent my entire high school waiting for the opportunity to talk to her, waiting for her to notice me and for her to fall for me straight away. Due to my self-confidence issues I couldn’t just walk up to a girl and talk to her, that’s just plain crazy, I had to wait for the right moment. So, I waited days…and I waited weeks and months and years…I waited so long that high school finished, and we both graduated, without even a word spoken to her. We went to different colleges and lived completely different lives. My biggest regret was not speaking to this beautiful girl, I didn’t even know her name, we never spoke ever again…

Until a week ago, I walked into a random café coming back from work to buy a sandwich and there she was behind the till. My eyes nearly flew out of my sockets, just like in the cartoons, as I forgot just how stunning she was. I finally built up the courage to talk to her. At first I started with small talk and tried adding a bit of my terrible humour to try and make her laugh, surprisingly it worked. I found out that her name was Joy and we talked so much about each other that her manager told her off for not working. So, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and asked her on a date thinking that she would reject and laugh at me.

And now fast forward to present day, we’re both sat in a really nice Italian restaurant that my best friend recommended, we’re eating pizza together and talking about our lives laughing and having an amazing time, I have never been happier. That’s until I saw it, a red orb floating near the exit, a tight red ball of latex which could detonate like a bomb scaring everyone who hears it…a balloon. I hate balloons so much, they are my biggest fear and I had no idea that they would be in this restaurant. I look around and see multiple balloons stands scattered around the restaurant all with red balloons on sticks which looked very tightly blown up. I watch in horror as I see one guy take a balloon from the balloon stand and, while holding the stick, repeatedly hitting his friend with it hitting him with force. His friend responded by grabbing another balloon and hitting him back, the whole place was filled with the noises of the balloons being bashed into each other and squeaking loudly.

“Hey” Joy shouted to try and get my attention “are you even listening?”
    “Oh yeah, sorry” I answered, feeling very guilty about watching those 2 guys fighting with the balloon and not paying attention to her story. She glanced over her shoulder to look at what I was watching.
    “Are they friends of yours?” She asks but I just shook my head and try to laugh it off.
    “Then what are you looking at, those balloons?” She laughed, childishly mocking me “do you want me to grab you a balloon?” she cutely said talking like a 3 year old, trying to make fun of me. I didn’t answer her as I was terrified she would grab one, I really didn’t want her to grab one but I didn’t know how to tell her that that’s literally the worst thing that could ever happen to me. I tried to tell her no, but I couldn’t I was way too awkward to say anything, I felt my whole body freeze up.

“What’s wrong with you, do you actually want one” Joy curiously asked me, I tried to get the words out.
    “no thank you, i am terrified of balloons and you bringing one over to me would scare me too much”… is what I said in my head, my mouth refused to speak, the nerves had grabbed my tonuge, I just remained silent. Suddenly she started smiling as her eyes beaming with excitement, she giggled the cutest giggle I have ever heard in my entire life and held both of my hands while staring into my eyes.
    “It’s ok I understand” she explained “I’m the exact same with balloons I know just how you feel, but I want you to know that you don’t have to be ashamed”. She gave me a huge reassuring smile which melted my heart so much, I stopped feeling scared and was back to just focusing on her, until…

“I’m going to get us both a balloon” she giggled while getting up from her seat, “there’s no need to be ashamed I absolutely love balloons too, they’re so much fun”. I couldn’t believe what just happened.
    “Wait….no…d…don’t” I yelled in desperation, but she couldn’t hear me, she ran straight up to the balloon stand and stared at it for a while, examining them, then proceeded to pick out two of the tightest red balloons that I have ever seen, they were so tight that they had a very visible neck starting to stretch out. She bounded towards me like a dog bringing back a ball for its owner, and she handed me the balloon which I gingerly grabbed with my shaky hand. I stared at this see-through ball of horror, trying not to show my fear too much, I have waited too long for this date I’m not going to mess it up just because of a childhood fear, I turn to her try to and make a conversation but I notice that she’s playing with her balloon. I watch as she waves it around like it’s a magic wand and kept on booping it on her nose, she’s paying no attention to me at all she’s only focused on this tight balloon. It would be absolutely adorable if the balloon wasn’t so terrifying.

While throwing her balloon in the air she glanced over to me and noticed that I was staring at her, her cheeks burned red with embarrassment, she covered her face with her curly hair to stop me from watching her, as she did that the balloon that she threw into the air landed on her head and bounced off the table. She looked at me in what can only be described as adorably furious, as her bottom lip came out.
    “Hey!” she yelled “you’re not supposed to be watching me like some creep, you’re supposed to be enjoying your own balloon”, I had no idea how to react to that outburst I just started laughing at her as it was like being yelled at by a 2-year-old. She suddenly snapped out of her tantrum and realised that her balloon had fallen on the floor, she quickly grabbed it and squealed in excitement as she hugged it very tightly. I sat there frozen in fear watching her squeeze this already mega tight balloon, her hands slowly sink further into its latex skin as the neck stretches out even more. The entire balloon becomes even more see-through and starts to resemble the appearance of stained glass, I’m pretty sure it was just about to burst into a billions pieces, my mind started racing. It’s going to pop! Get out of there! Run away right now! If you don’t leave right now it’ll….

“Are you alright?” she asked full of concern, “you look like you’re going to pass out, you’ve gone really white, are you going to be sick?”, I took some deep breaths to calm my nerves, I smile at her and chuckle a little.
    “yes, yes I am fine, don’t worry” I say to reassure her “just a little bit under the weather it’s nothing serious” I give her a big cheesy smile which makes her burst out in laughter.
    “I hope you’re feeling better soon” she caringly says, “I wish there was something I could do to help you feel better”. She then has an idea to help me smile, curiosity gets the better of me and I ask what it is she’s thinking of. Joy just giggles that cute high school girl giggle and tells me to close my eyes, I do as she says. I just listen to her giggling away to herself, she has the cutest giggle ever honestly, it’s like…wait did I just hear the balloon squeak? Nah that was probably just me overthin…there it is again. I open one eye to see what she was doing and to my complete horror I catch her trying to take the balloon off the stick, she notices that I opened my eye just as the balloon comes off the stick exposing the un-knotted balloon mouthpiece.

“HEY!!!” she yelled, startling other customers making them turn to face her, “you’re not supposed to be peaking, it was going to be a surprise”. She then began to put the balloon to her lips and started to blow into it. I sat back in horror as this already really tight balloon started to get a lot tighter, with every breath I watched it become more and more see-through, I heard it squeak and strain as she forced air into it, with every deep breath I watched it getting closer to its ear shattering end. Every time I tried to speak my mouth froze with terror, all I could do was watch as the balloons neck grew and grew, longer and longer until its pressed firmly against her lips. This wasn’t a balloon, it was a ticking time bomb which was about to explode at any second. She pinched the mouth of the balloon shut with her fingers and examined her handy work, she was very visibly impressed by how tight she had gotten it as her eyes filled with your amazement and the cutest smile ever, shone ear to ear across her adorable face. I relaxed a little thinking that she had finished but I couldn’t have been more wrong, she smiled and went to put the balloon back to her lips. I was in complete panic. Then everything went in slow motion. I watched as her lips moved slowly closer to the balloon, kissing the mouthpiece, pressing against it ready to blow. I watched her inhale through her nose deeply with eyes filled with determination. I tried to cry out and stop her, I tried my hardest to stop her but I couldn’t do anything, my body was shackled with fear. All I could do was sit there as she started to put her final breath into this overly stressed balloon. Then something in me snapped…

“STOP!!!” I yelled, scaring Joy, myself and pretty much everyone else in the restaurant, I started breathing heavily finding it hard to breath, I grasped my chest tightly and tried my best to calm myself down, everyone in the restaurant stared in confusion. Worried that I was having a heart attack, Joy quickly rushed beside me and helped me catch my breath, she tied the balloon off so it wasn’t in the way and helped me catch my breath. She held both of my hands and stared deep into my eyes, I couldn’t help but stare into hers too but I felt bad as I saw the tears in her eyes that I caused by scaring her. I leaned over and hugged her tightly, this took her by surprise, but she hugged me back and started to giggle that super cute high-school girl giggle which I loved.
    “I think…” I said while trying to catch my breath “I think that balloon is full now”, she just burst out in laughter and hugged me even tighter.
    “Is that why you’ve been acting strange?” she questioned, “I could tell straight away that you had a certain interest in balloons, but I forgot to ask if you’re a popper or a non-popper, I’m a popper myself” she laughed.
    “Popper? Non-popper?” I asked in confusion. “What do you…” Before I could finish asking my question, a waiter comes up to us and asks if we have finished our meals. I tell him that we have, pay the bill and I begin to walk out of the restaurant while holding Joy’s hand as she holds the monstrously tight balloon with the other hand swinging it around like it’s a tennis racket. We walked together through the park and by the lake as I walked her home, when we got there, we stood outside hugging each other tightly and staring into each other’s eyes. We leaned in closer and closer as our lips came inches away from each others, that’s when she laughed and pulled away.
    “If you want to kiss me that badly then we’re have to go on another date” she teasingly said.
    “Sounds like fun I’ll send you a text, I’m guessing that didn’t go too bad for a first date” I joked.
    “You mean aside from the fact that you almost died from a heart attack” you laughed “you know if you didn’t want me to pop this balloon then you could have just asked, I know what it’s like to have a strong connection with these balloons, a connection so strong that you just don’t want it to end”.
    “What do you mean by that” I asked puzzled at her statement.
    “Oh come on I saw that way you looked at those balloons while we were sat down, I could feel your excitement from the across the table” she said as she played with the buttons of my jacket “I’m the same as you, I like balloons too”. I had no idea what was going on, I had no idea what she was talking about. She just laughed at my puzzled face and gently said,
    “Fine keep your secrets” she laughed while winking at me. She smiled and handed me the balloon, which I very very carefully held with the knot.
    “Keep this balloon as a memory of this perfect date” she giggled “I hope you have fun with it”, as she said that she hugged me one last time and ran inside, waving to me as she closed the door behind her.

She is by far the strangest girl I have ever met; I have no idea why she loves balloons so much or why she thinks I like them. While walking home I rung my best friend Tommy, after a few rings he picks up.
    “Hey Tommy, I have just come back from my date with Joy, it went absolutely amazing it was so romantic, but did you know that restaurant while you recommended was riddled with so many balloons?” I questioned.
    “Yeah of course mate it all adds to the excitement of the night, I mean who doesn’t love balloons right? They’re amazing, well apart from my girlfriend Megan, she hates them” he replies.
    “It made the whole night so much more terrifying I was already nervous enough for this date, I thought you knew about my massive fear of balloons”.
    “Fear?” he questioned “I thought you loved popping them, on my birthday last month you encouraged me to pop them all, I sat on them and squeezed them until they burst, it was so much fun”.
    “Yes” I confirmed “but I was covering my ear tightly the entire time, I was terrified, I just wanted to get rid of them as they made me so nerovus”.
    “I’m sorry dude” he apologised “I had no idea, next time I’ll tell you somewhere without any balloons”.

During the walk home I felt a lot of different feelings, I felt stupid for letting my fears get in the way, I felt happy that I finally got to go on a date with the girl of my dreams, I felt scared as I was holding a balloon so tight that if it popped could wake up the whole neighbourhood, and I felt on top of the world as I couldn’t get the image of Joy giggling out of my head but at the same time I felt stupid for having a panic attack right in front of my one and only crush. I kept on wondering how she loved balloons that much and what she meant when she said that she was a popper. As soon as I got home I gentling placed the overly stressed balloon in my cupboard hiding it from my little brother, and I just laid there on my bed thinking of the night, thinking of Joy playing with the balloon, thinking of her gorgeous smile, thinking of the magical hug that she gave me, thinking of…

Before I knew it, I was fast asleep
  • Dust of the Saturn
    Stretched like space-time
    • Feb 2018

Re: The Perfect Date I - The First Date

AMAZING!! I love it soo much. The concept is so new, we never had such misunderstandings between the protagonist and their lover about their feelings towards balloons.

I am impatiently waiting for the next part.
    And I ask myself, why? and all I hear is the cold, dead silence of the cosmos.

Comment

• Infl8
      • Apr 2017

That was really good. Thank you. I'd love to see more. I was wondering, will any printed balloons be involved in the later stories?

Comment

• Joe Sixpanel
        • Sep 2018

Good stuff! I'd like to read more.

Comment

• SweetBouncer
          • Mar 2020

Honestly that was one of the best stories i have read in a long time, keep up the good work like this. Men i'm thrilled about what will happen in their second date.

Comment

• masseylooner
            • Mar 2016

Thank you so much for your positive responses I was worried that it would be crap haha you've all given me the confidence 1to write an other chapter ^_^ as for the printed balloons im actually not sure if I'll add them in, we'll see where the story takes us haha but no promises
            Last edited by masseylooner; 10-07-2021, 17:13.

Comment

• Cho
              • Mar 2019

Oh man, I really loved the idea of a looner story from a non looner perspective. Awesome idea, awesome execution. I'm looking forward to read more of your work

Comment

• ThmFirball
                • May 2016

What an awesome Story. Good Job. Canot wait to read more. I hope she will Pop some balloons in the next Part. Maybe with a blow to Pop!

Comment

• Ballonblazer
                  • Jan 2020

Very very well written !! I hope there will be more.... and many nailpops with her sharp claws !!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎