Inflatable boats and old school color film photos...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BalloonblowerNYC
    • Feb 2018

Inflatable boats and old school color film photos...

As I have a processing lab at home for color negative film (and black and white) I tried to remake the 1970ies and 1980ies feeling seeing my boats on color negative film - scanned and then calculated the positive color photo.

Much grain as it is an ISO 800 film.

I tried to make all errors which were typical at that time. Out of focus. Much dust before scanning or printing it on photo paper. Wrong white balance. A sharp bend while handling the color negative before giving it to a photo lab to make new prints (the green half moon shape).

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
  • BalloonblowerNYC
    • Feb 2018

Re: Inflatable boats and old school color film photos...

Good made photos on film do not look like this
    Attached Files

Comment

• BalloonblowerNYC
      • Feb 2018

Take a seat!
      Attached Files

Comment

• craggy2012
        • Jan 2012

I’d imagine if you’re trying to replicate those rich, saturated images from the 80’s you’d need a circular polarising filter on the lens and something like Fujichrome colour reversal film. I know Kodachrome 64 was the professional toggers film of choice for its tight grain and resultant sharp image but it never really saturated out like Fujichrome 100 did.

The 80’s glamour master for me was a Swedish photographer called Ulf Sternbo- his work was instantly recognisable as his colourful style of images often used inflatables in the set.

Comment

• BalloonblowerNYC
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by craggy2012
          I’d imagine if you’re trying to replicate those rich, saturated images from the 80’s you’d need a circular polarising filter on the lens and something like Fujichrome colour reversal film. I know Kodachrome 64 was the professional toggers film of choice for its tight grain and resultant sharp image but it never really saturated out like Fujichrome 100 did.

The 80’s glamour master for me was a Swedish photographer called Ulf Sternbo- his work was instantly recognisable as his colourful style of images often used inflatables in the set.
          Color reversal films are great. But they have even less dynamic.
          I use color reversal film often - as I want to show my adventures on my travel on 16mm film in my projector. Or as Super 8 on my 8mm projector. Ektachrome is king. But I cannot do this in my home lab. So it is always 1/2 to one week of processing time including mailing.

For the pictures attached above I used Kodak Portra 800 color negative film and the C-41 process. Scanning was done on an Epson V850 scanner. My processing machine accepts 35mm and medium format 120 film. For black and white I use the rolling machine with the standard D-76 developer and the Kodak rapid fixer bath. With Hypo Clear and constant washing those films turn out excellent, too.
          Last edited by BalloonblowerNYC; 19-01-2021, 04:09.

Comment

• craggy2012
            • Jan 2012

Portra's quite a subtle film- but then It's name gives it away as it's more intended for portraits where you wouldn't want bright, garish skin tones! I've still got a couple of rolls of Portra 800 in 120 format. Sadly both Kodak and Fuji are both bailing out of the wet film market dropping no end of film stock. My favourite style of photography is monochrome. I'll run a couple of rolls of Ilford Delta through my old Mamiya 645 medium format camera a month n spend a saturday night bulk developing them. Funny this lockdown lark made me go up the loft and dig out all.my old developing gear n got me back into proper photography again!

Comment

• BalloonblowerNYC
              • Feb 2018

Monochrome in NYC. On Ilford film
              Attached Files

Comment

• BalloonblowerNYC
                • Feb 2018

Monochome NYC. Ilford HP5 and Kodak Tmax 100.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍