Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blueballoondude89
    • Apr 2022

Balloon vendors at 4th of July events

I remember how back in the 90s when I was growing up, they always had this balloon tent at our town’s 4th of July celebration. I remember there were various shaped Mylars, 16 inch sprays (or white stars) the Suzuki Peacock, agates, and the big 3 fters. All tied in one big bunch on top of the tent. I also remember seeing helium filled punching balloons for a few years. God I miss it SOOOOO MUCH

Do any of you remember seeing those at your town’s events? If I had the extra money, I’d rent a helium tank and sell balloons at our parade. Last year, this local politician handed out these clearly 9 inch Amscan. and there were bunches tied onto a float, and they handed them out to kids after but several of them flew away. So that was fun at least. But it was more fun with the big fancy ones. My mom never bought me one of those. Only if they were free. I think one year was an exception, and they were just red white and blue 12 inch Unique that somebody was selling at a tent for a dollar. Another year they were selling 11 inch Qualatex, which also included the smileys! But I guess my mom didn’t want to spend money on a fancy balloon only for it to pop in the sun, or accidentally fly away.
    Last edited by Blueballoondude89; 03-07-2022, 15:22.
  • LoonerPlanet
    • Nov 2018

Re: Balloon vendors at 4th of July events

Turn back the clock even further and balloon vendors were even more common. You could find vendors at many fairs, baseball games, zoos, and even walking downtown streets (vendors carrying Tilly workers and selling their slim Jims were common). At some events, you could even pick up free advertising balloons. I remember a street festival where a balloon company was giving away helium-filled 16" balloons with a smaller balloon floating inside. That gathered a long line of customers. It was both heaven and hell for me. If I was alone, I would scoop up or buy some balloons. It was how I started experimenting with inflating balloons in secret.

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
      • Jul 2017

Loved the slim jims at parades. They were special because they were so different!

Comment

• BusterBill
        Founder, Balloon Buddies
        • Nov 2016

I was obsessed with the wonderful array of balloons that were only available at parades, county fairs, church bazaars and holiday events. The vendors walking thru the crowds carrying massively overunflated workers gave me an instant hardon once I was old enough. I remember experimenting with an awesome purple Tilly worker that one of the vendors had deflated and discarded at the end of the day. I felt so incredibly lucky to get that balloon.

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
          • Apr 2022

Originally posted by BusterBill
          I was obsessed with the wonderful array of balloons that were only available at parades, county fairs, church bazaars and holiday events. The vendors walking thru the crowds carrying massively overunflated workers gave me an instant hardon once I was old enough. I remember experimenting with an awesome purple Tilly worker that one of the vendors had deflated and discarded at the end of the day. I felt so incredibly lucky to get that balloon.
          There was this amazing sense of wonder when we were kids. Didn’t matter where the balloons came from. Only the fact that they were there was just enough to make me happy. Amazing designs and prints! In September 1994 I went to this Hot Air balloon festival and they were selling helium filled latex balloons—because it was a time when people went all out on events and actually spent money. A clear 16 inch print with an agate or 11 inch spray inside. My mom brought the video camera and got us on video and of course since I was 5 and in kindergarten, kept asking when I could get one. Yes my mom did eventually take us to the balloon stand. Had that tape not existed, I would’ve forgotten what those balloons looked like.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎