Are reinflated balloons more durable than they are after the first inflation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bjorn
    Phobic non-popper
    • Oct 2018

Are reinflated balloons more durable than they are after the first inflation?

When inflating a qualatex balloon (16 inch), I'm not able to inflate it to a diameter of 16 inch. Not without overinflating it.

After deflating and stretching the balloon I can inflate the balloon to it's specified size. Besides that the balloon feels softer, which feels really exciting when sitting on it.

I wonder if the balloon is more or maybe less durable after a reinflation.

Is there anyone who has got experience with bouncing on reinflated balloons vs."initially" inflated balloons?
  • BalloonBoyUK
    Banned
    • Dec 2018

Re: Are reinflated balloons more durable than they are after the first inflation?

All balloons will be a little bit more durable after their initial inflation. However, once the latex has been stretched, you have to be careful that when you reinflate it, that the latex hasn't become weaker in one area, and that you inflate the balloon evenly.

There's no guarantee that a balloon will inflate better on its second inflation, over its initial one, so be careful if you aren't a popper. Balloon brands like Qualatex are designed to be inflated to their stated size, on the initial inflation and will do, but they go quite hard/solid. It may appear like you are filling them up too much, but they will go to their stated size, if you take care.

Comment

• Blowitbig
      • Jan 2016

Re: Are reinflated balloons more durable than they are after the first inflation?

After each inflation the balloon will soften therefore grow larger after each inflation, it will feel like it can take some abuse, but i always check my balloon for weak spots in the latex if i continue to reuse my balloons.
      The bigger the better

Comment

• EthylTheAardvark
        • Nov 2016

I don't know that they're ever more durable. They seem to get stretchier and softer, but the latex does also get thinner. Most of the balloons that I play with now are much higher quality than the ones I used to find growing up, and they can take a lot more abuse in general. I've had balloons last 2-3 months before popping from weak spots, back in the day it seemed like you barely had to look at them funnily and they'd pop.

Comment

• Tracy
          • May 2018

It's not that the balloon gets stronger, quite the opposite. That stretching out means that the latex is in fact weaker. But with well-made balloons they're still plenty strong for several more inflations and they will definitely get bigger when stretched out a bit.

The other advantage is that any serious defects will sort themselves out on the first inflation

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎