Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blueballoondude89
    • Apr 2022

Latex balloons at the Macy’s parade

I haven’t watched the parade since 2019 for obvious reasons. And even before then, it hasn’t been fun because they barely have any balloons in the crowd in front of Macys. Where as 20-30 years ago there were thousands of them in the crowd. The only spot where there’s tons of balloons is on Central Park West where Al Roker kicks off the parade. They’re usually 18 inch Betallics. For a long time I had no idea what brand those were!!! I even got some different prints from the guy who’s in charge. A few were Uniques from 2006, (80th anniversary) Gaylas (2008-2010), and since then, they’ve been Betallic. They were also Betallic in the mid to late 80s. They were very clearly Tuftex around 1993-1999. I also found an HD video (filmed on a movie camera) at the 1991 parade. The balloons that year appeared to be Unique, in and out of the crowd. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3NShE7B2atE
    (1991 parade)

Saw clear photos from the 1983 parade on Gettyimages and your guess is as good as mine what brand they were that year. Tuftex? Pioneer? There used to be photos from 1984 with many balloons up close, but I can’t find it now. They seemed to resemble Tuftex based on their shape.

Sandy Duncan and Maria Pogee perform "Ugg-a-Wug" from Peter Pan at the 1979 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Music by Mark Charlap, Lyrics by Carolyn Leigh, D...

Clip from the 1979 parade, they look to be Pioneer. Mostly through the 60s to 1981 (with smilie faces that year!) from what I’ve seen.

2000 they were Gaylas with “Macy’s.com” printed on them.
    2001-2003 and then 2005-07 again were 12 inch Amscan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62lrHY-A8VU clip from 1986 parade
  • BalloonFun
    • Apr 2022

Re: Latex balloons at the Macy’s parade

Originally posted by Blueballoondude89
    I haven’t watched the parade since 2019 for obvious reasons. And even before then, it hasn’t been fun because they barely have any balloons in the crowd in front of Macys. Where as 20-30 years ago there were thousands of them in the crowd. The only spot where there’s tons of balloons is on Central Park West where Al Roker kicks off the parade. They’re usually 18 inch Betallics. For a long time I had no idea what brand those were!!! I even got some different prints from the guy who’s in charge. A few were Uniques from 2006, (80th anniversary) Gaylas (2008-2010), and since then, they’ve been Betallic. They were also Betallic in the mid to late 80s. They were very clearly Tuftex around 1993-1999. I also found an HD video (filmed on a movie camera) at the 1991 parade. The balloons that year appeared to be Unique, in and out of the crowd. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3NShE7B2atE
    (1991 parade)

Saw clear photos from the 1983 parade on Gettyimages and your guess is as good as mine what brand they were that year. Tuftex? Pioneer? There used to be photos from 1984 with many balloons up close, but I can’t find it now. They seemed to resemble Tuftex based on their shape.

Sandy Duncan and Maria Pogee perform "Ugg-a-Wug" from Peter Pan at the 1979 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Music by Mark Charlap, Lyrics by Carolyn Leigh, D...

Clip from the 1979 parade, they look to be Pioneer. Mostly through the 60s to 1981 (with smilie faces that year!) from what I’ve seen.

2000 they were Gaylas with “Macy’s.com” printed on them.
    2001-2003 and then 2005-07 again were 12 inch Amscan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62lrHY-A8VU clip from 1986 parade
    That's all really interesting! I bet you had lots of fun at those Macy's parades!

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
      • Apr 2022

Re: Latex balloons at the Macy’s parade

No I never went except just one year … 2013. But I love seeing all the different balloons over the years!

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎