Old 02-07-2022, 12:32 AM

Eduloon is on a distinguished road
Question Long term Balloon Storage - Tuftex 17
Hi,
As is getting harder to get my hands on tuftex balloons, im planing on buying a bulk of them (a lot of bags, probably a $200 ish order). And as a non popper, they will probably last me years. But for what i know tuftex balloons do degrade faster. Even more on Crystal colors.

Early this year i bought a bag of Crystal Green TT17 from amazon, and they have the old packaging and were really old and degraded, felt really fragile and were weak. Unusable!

So im thinking new methods of storing my TT. I store my balloons mainly on my closet, which is dark, dry and don't open so often. Thinking about buying some kind of drawer with opaque containers, and then place the balloons inside ziplog bags, don't squish them hard together and maybe put some gilica gel bags inside each balloon bag.

What do you think about storing balloons as fragile as tuftex?
Old 02-07-2022, 02:20 AM

Blown2Bits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Long term Balloon Storage - Tuftex 17
Storing balloons as cool as possible is a good way to increase their lifetime. Chemical reaction speed doubles roughly every 10 kelvin.
So dark, cool and in ziplock bags is the way to go. But make sure to bring them back to normal room temperature before inflating them again. Cold balloons pop more easily because latex becomes less stretchable when cold.
Discord: Blown2Bits#9254
Old 02-07-2022, 05:21 AM

LoonerHoax is on a distinguished road
Since Tuftex were originally sold as outdoor balloons, my personal opinion is that they were designed to degrade faster because they expected some of them to go free. I've rarely had them last for more than a year or two without going bad. Especially the crystal colors.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:12 AM

SusieDK is on a distinguished road
Hi,

My balloons seldom last very long, so I only rarely have trouble with degraded balloons. I do have an idea, but it is not based on practical experience, but purely theory:
Oxygen very often plays an important role when it comes to degrading processes, so maybe it would be an idea to remove as much oxygen from the packaged balloons as possible. As it is not good to compress the balloons it might be a good idea to replace the air in the bags with carbondioxide. Compress the bag to remove the air, then inflate it with carbondioxide and seal it off.
This just might help slowing down degrading. Off course it only works if you don’t open the bag and let air into it again, but I guess you wouldn’t do this when storing for a long time. Besides you can of course renew the carbondioxide before resealing an opened bag.

Again I have no experience with long time storing, but it might be worth trying it out.

Thank you for reading my posting.

Sincerely
Susie

Last edited by SusieDK; 02-07-2022 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Inserting missed out words.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:37 AM

Balloonboy99 is on a distinguished road
Would there be any benefit to using vacuum storage bags over ziploc bags? I've been tempted to try them but they're obviously a bit more expensive than ziploc bags. Wonder if anyone has had the same idea?
Old 02-07-2022, 09:20 AM

AJK64 is on a distinguished road
Vacuum storage bags hold the balloons tightly together which can cause them to stick together and degrade faster.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:03 PM

LoonerPlanet is on a distinguished road
At this point, I would be very reluctant to buy Tuftex balloons from anyone but our favorite dealers. I, too, have been burned with bags that contained old or poorly stored balloons. A mixed bag of colors can contain some colors that are old and others that are fine. I would be especially suspicious of Tuftex on sale or eBay specials.
I store my balloons in a cool basement, in the dark, and in sealed bags. Nevertheless, I have had a few recent premature pops with stored Tuftex. I don't have that problem with my saved Q24's, which are much older. I believe that Tuftex--especially the ones made with the old formula latex--lack the additives that other manufacturers use to prevent degradation. I am slowly working through my Tuftex collection, waiting for the factory to crank out fresh 17" and 24" balloons.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:51 PM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LoonerHoax View Post
Since Tuftex were originally sold as outdoor balloons, my personal opinion is that they were designed to degrade faster because they expected some of them to go free. I've rarely had them last for more than a year or two without going bad. Especially the crystal colors.
This has been my theory too. They don't want deflated or popped balloons lying around in nature for any longer than they want to, so the poor lifespan is very likely intended.
That being said, the Tuf-Tex (crystal blue) that I bought recently feels very different to those I've had before. They felt a lot less stretchy, almost plasticy. Not sure if this will affect their aging. It's only been 3 months since I got them.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:06 PM

BalloonFun is on a distinguished road
Just try not to order balloons of any kind out of Amazon. I have read one too many horror stories of their condition once you receive them. Also, I work in an Amazon fulfillment center and can definitely attest to the sometimes horrid conditions.

Best to do our favorites like Balloons United, Jenny Loons, Ballon QC, etc.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:50 PM

Eduloon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SusieDK View Post
Hi,

My balloons seldom last very long, so I only rarely have trouble with degraded balloons. I do have an idea, but it is not based on practical experience, but purely theory:
Oxygen very often plays an important role when it comes to degrading processes, so maybe it would be an idea to remove as much oxygen from the packaged balloons as possible. As it is not good to compress the balloons it might be a good idea to replace the air in the bags with carbondioxide. Compress the bag to remove the air, then inflate it with carbondioxide and seal it off.
This just might help slowing down degrading. Off course it only works if you don’t open the bag and let air into it again, but I guess you wouldn’t do this when storing for a long time. Besides you can of course renew the carbondioxide before resealing an opened bag.

Again I have no experience with long time storing, but it might be worth trying it out.

Thank you for reading my posting.

Sincerely
Susie
Wow actually that sound like a pretty clever solution, im thinking on just using ziplog bags or maybe one of those meat vacum sealers, but i don't like the idea of the balloons being so compressed either. But the CO2 option sound pretty interesting, i did a quick research and didn't find any paper that said that CO2 could be bad to latex. The thing is how to get it and manage it carefully