Old 11-06-2022, 01:49 AM

7balloon is on a distinguished road
Default WE HAVE A HOBBY! by definition
So I looked up the word hobby in the OED and this is one of the definitions.

5. A favourite occupation or topic, pursued merely for the amusement or interest that it affords, and which is compared to the riding of a toy horse (sense 3); an individual pursuit to which a person is devoted (in the speaker's opinion) out of proportion to its real importance. Formerly hobby-horse n. (sense 6).

Well fuck all if that ain't balloons to me!

I have a balloon hobby!!!!
Old 11-06-2022, 02:21 AM

BalloonFun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WE HAVE A HOBBY! by definition
Originally Posted by 7balloon View Post
So I looked up the word hobby in the OED and this is one of the definitions.

5. A favourite occupation or topic, pursued merely for the amusement or interest that it affords, and which is compared to the riding of a toy horse (sense 3); an individual pursuit to which a person is devoted (in the speaker's opinion) out of proportion to its real importance. Formerly hobby-horse n. (sense 6).

Well fuck all if that ain't balloons to me!

I have a balloon hobby!!!!
Well, I can add "balloon hobby" to my being a "hi-fi enthusiast"!! Hope that makes me more interesting and less boring!
Old 11-06-2022, 09:24 AM

AJK64 is on a distinguished road
Nah mate, it's a fetish for me. I get a sexual pleasure from balloons. I dont get a sexual thrill from any of my other hobbies and sex itself isn't a hobby.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:28 AM
Balloon Fetish Writer

loonerfun00 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AJK64 View Post
Nah mate, it's a fetish for me. I get a sexual pleasure from balloons. I dont get a sexual thrill from any of my other hobbies and sex itself isn't a hobby.
It can be both. Some looners out there are trying to replicate the Q24 and some are into the balloon manufacturing business. So it can be a hobby too.

Also, learning how to make balloon columns or arches and trying different brands and stuff even if it is sexual still makes it a hobby.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:06 AM

Late.X is on a distinguished road
Tried to fool myself this was a 'hobby' for years. Now it seems it was after all!
Old 11-06-2022, 05:35 PM

BalloonFun is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BalloonFun View Post
Well, I can add "balloon hobby" to my being a "hi-fi enthusiast"!! Hope that makes me more interesting and less boring!
Well, realistically balloons are a fun and sexually arousing and pleasurable thing for me. True, none of my other interests and hobbies can be sexual for me. I do sometimes wish that I could design a new logo or two onto a balloon someday, but that's a whole other thread. Logo designing for balloons could be considered somewhat of a hobby.
Old 13-06-2022, 05:08 PM

loonlun is on a distinguished road
Maybe, but I don't literally come on my woodworking projects a few times a week.
Old 13-06-2022, 07:20 PM

Ballooner99 is on a distinguished road
I agree with @loonlun here. I have many hobbies but none of them bring sexual excitement for me. I think that is a line between a hobby and a fetish, albeit many others. My hobbies are gardening, Astrophotography, weather and running a salt water aquarium, but balloons fall in another column. They bring amusement and excitement but has that extra element that pushes it out of the hobby category for me. For instance, I openly talk to people about my hobbies in person but won’t talk about my balloon fetish outside the cyber community.
Old 13-06-2022, 07:24 PM

Ballooner99 is on a distinguished road
What we truly have is what the DSM-5 diagnosis manual calles Fetishistic Disorder under 302.31. Personally, while I recognize the differential diagnosis as true for many of us looners we are still highly functioning. We don’t see the object of a balloon as a hobby but a sexual object. It’s been something I have been reading up on trying to understand how fetishes occur and what they mean.
Old 13-06-2022, 09:16 PM

fastlooner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ballooner99 View Post
What we truly have is what the DSM-5 diagnosis manual calles Fetishistic Disorder under 302.31. Personally, while I recognize the differential diagnosis as true for many of us looners we are still highly functioning. We don’t see the object of a balloon as a hobby but a sexual object. It’s been something I have been reading up on trying to understand how fetishes occur and what they mean.
Hey just a quick note that having a balloon fetish doesn't automatically mean you have fetishistic disorder. Having fetishistic disorder means having a fetish that causes significant distress and impairment. While that might apply to some people it won't apply to everyone.

Here's a quote from the DSM-5 (page 701)
"Many individuals who self-identify as fetishist practitioners do not necessarily report clinical impairment in association with their fetish-associated behaviors. Such individuals could be considered as having a fetish but not fetishistic disorder. A diagnosis of fetishistic disorder requires concurrent fulfillment of both the behaviors in Criterion A and the clinically significant distress or impairment in functioning noted in Criterion B."