Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sp_jp
    • Mar 2022

My first random pop

The day has come. I just have my first random pop.

I always buy Qualatex 16'', standard colors, because they are supossed to be the "most reliable brand with no random pops or weak spots". After 2 years with a very few stock, they are finally re stocking them, so I purchase 4 bags. White, red, green and green lime. I check the date of the bag because I dont trust old balloons (+3 years), knowing that here in Spain weather can be too hot and it can damage the latex, and I dont trust how shop storage them (cold, dark places). These bags are manufactured in 2022, so they are new and I feel them safe.

When I opened the bags, everything seems fine, except the whites one. They feel extra thinner than the others by far, even deflated.

I always check for weak spots before blow, they all seems fine. I blew a red one near full size for stretching. It was ok. Same with the green one. Took a white one, blew it a few times and stop cause it felt much weaker than the others. Took another one, same thing. Took a third one, second blow, it pop. Not having a single random pop my entire life (super phobic, I'm always very careful and check them almost every blow). Had headphones so sound was not a problem, still that shocked me a lot. I inmediately deflate the other ones, shaking because I thought they were goint to bang too just by touching them (not even close to overinflation, but i got paranoid).

And know, my question is.. how can you be confident again to start blowing again? Cause I feel like im not going to be able to try again in a few months until I forget today. On the other hand, I want to try again, it's been a few weeks without blowing a single one cause I've been not home alone (no one knows about my "hobby"). Electric pump is not an option for me. As non popper, I feel excited inflating them by mouth the bigger I can (not a single neck yet, I'm not that brave).

Do u feel like Tuftex are more reliable right now than Qualatex? I've never tried a single one (they are so expensive...). Are some colors weaker than others?

I really want to end my session today but im not able to do it

Edit: adding a photo of something that worries me. New balloons are a bit weird. Can u see how the balloon seems thinner in some areas? Especially around the neck, but is all around the balloon. This happened on my last order with some Q16 from 2018-2019, I thought that was because they were a bit older. But is happening also on this new one. Can this make the balloon less secure for inflation? Why can this happen?

Thanks a lot
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sp_jp; 07-07-2022, 08:01. Reason: Added photo
  • BigBang123
    • Aug 2015

Re: My first random pop

For me, anytime have an unexpected pop either while blowing it up or when it's just sitting there. The first thing I do is start blowing up another one, it's a bit like falling if a bike, you just get straight back on it. I know it can be quite challenging to start blowing one up right after the shock of a pop but I find it helps you push through that popping fear. Also by blowing up another straight away, it prevents your brain from pondering on what's just happened and calluses the mind to embrace popping in the long term. Even if the one you are inflating after pops, just get a new one and start again, preferably with the same colour and/or size that popped before it.

Comment

• Meililoon
      aka lyckr
      • Sep 2014

Those definitely looks like flaws that would cause a balloon to pop very easily. Not sure what causes is though. Could be age, a bad batch from the factory, or even improper storage during transport or at the store.

Based on my experience, Qualatex is more reliable than Tuf-Tex, at least during inflation. Never had a Qtex pop while I've inflated it, but I've had two or three Tuf-Tex pop prematurely for me. Tuf-Tex are also notorious for aging very poorly, usually becoming nearly unusable after a year or two, depending on how they've been stored. They're great when new though, just don't buy more than you can use in a year or so.

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
        • Apr 2022

Originally posted by lyckr
        Those definitely looks like flaws that would cause a balloon to pop very easily. Not sure what causes is though. Could be age, a bad batch from the factory, or even improper storage during transport or at the store.

Based on my experience, Qualatex is more reliable than Tuf-Tex, at least during inflation. Never had a Qtex pop while I've inflated it, but I've had two or three Tuf-Tex pop prematurely for me. Tuf-Tex are also notorious for aging very poorly, usually becoming nearly unusable after a year or two, depending on how they've been stored. They're great when new though, just don't buy more than you can use in a year or so.
        Yeah I was so disappointed when I bought Christmas printed Tuftex and they were SO WEAK. Had to take them to the party store to get inflated as I was too afraid … and surprisingly, they didn’t pop, even with slight necks … but after a few days, I was afraid just brushing against it would make it pop, as they were treated with Hi Float. I remember I got one from TGI Fridays in 2000. They were clearly Tuftex. I accidentally touched it too close to my bedroom ceiling and BANG.

I’ve had Qtex randomly go bang even after inflation as well. Probably because of a flaw that I didn’t notice until it was too late. Or, it was just defective. I had some blown up for my birthday and overnight, one just popped on its own. I was a little mad. It woke me up! I feel like the printed QTex don’t last as long as the plain, depending on how they’re stored. Most of my printed ones are in a cold dark place, or in the freezer. The one that randomly broke was a plain yellow Happy Birthday-around printed. If those don’t get properly stored, they degrade really quickly as well.

Comment

• zhilman
          • Dec 2018

I think its by luck. My case, My cattex longneck 32” both popped unexpectedly, while the GL still survives the hump even after 11th inflation.

I also had bad experience with q18 stuffer and q16 crystal. Also popped unexpectedly. Hmm

Comment

• Scooter
            • May 2022

I think you're just unlucky with that one bag. Who knows the reason. My one pop was also an unexpected one, and it totally killed the mood for me too. Just have to try it again, go slowly, and remember why you love balloons so much even though you're scared anyway.

The brand I'd actually recommend is Sempertex. Unsure how hard they'll be to get in Spain, but if you can get Qualatex I'm sure you can find Sempertex. They don't stretch past rated size like a Tuftex can, but as a non-popping phobic, that's not really what you're focused on anyway. I find they feel really thick and sturdy, but blow up pretty easily. They carry a round, sphere shape and you can get them in the standard size options pretty easily. Very consistent, very sturdy, can last a while... the 18 and 24 are some of my favorites.

Comment

• LoonerPlanet
              • Nov 2018

I agree that Qtex are typically more reliable that Tuftex. My best advice on buying highly reliable balloons is to purchase from looner-run sites like loonerworld or jenny loons--they typically have fast turnover and fresher balloons. And buy printed balloons--they have to be inflated to print, which would have eliminated the faulty white one. (Plus they inflate a bit larger).

I also recommend that you consider Belbal balloons, which are more expensive but definitely worth the cost. They have very strong latex. Balloonace in the UK has a nice collection. I also find Cattex to be highly reliable.

Comment

• Tracy
                • May 2018

Sorry to hear it happened to you... Sadly, that is part of ballooning life (and I absolutely HATE accidental pops).

Like some others said, though, I'd definitely recommend that you blow up a couple more in the near future - feel free to skip the whites if you think you got a bad batch. But otherwise this episode is just going to become negative reinforcement for your phobia.

A decorator friend of mine used to say that he expected about 1 out of 100% Q-tex balloons to accidentally pop when he was setting up for an event. Of course, he was going as fast as he could, certainly not stopping to inspect balloons before inflation, etc... But he also said that about once a year he would get a bag that was clearly part of a defective batch. If he had a few pop in short order, he'd just send the bag back.

Long and short, even really reliable balloons will inevitably disappoint. As someone said above, when you fall off the bike, get back on it! Good luck....

Comment

• EthylTheAardvark
                  • Nov 2016

You may have got a random bag of older ones. I don't know which colors are more or less popular. I usually do their jewel tone clear or colored ones and they usually seem to be pretty robust. I haven't had a random pop in quite a while from a Qualatex balloon. They're way more reliable than the cheap grocery store brands my parents used to get when I was a kid.

Comment

• tim
                    • Aug 2019

Sadly I have been noticing qualatex quality going down the hill. Last bag of 16ers i got, feel thin and flimsy compared to a bag from old stock (2012ish). Also have same patterns as in the first post pic.

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
                      • Jul 2017

I know a decorator that said on occasion he'd hey a bad batch. He tests balloons from each bag now.

Comment

• Thenoobsay
                        • Apr 2021

I get a few 16" bags a year and only started to notice quality decrease around 2021 onward. Demand has been so high they probably weren't caring much about quality

Comment

• Danman1987
                          • Nov 2012

I noticed this too. Lately I bough a big amount of bags of Q16's to create a balloon room. Certainly the batch 202201 where extremely bad. I had 4 bag of it and 99% of it was not good. Thin spots, even already broken (fresh) balloons and multiple pinholes... This is the last time I create a balloon room with Q16's. Next ones will be probably Sempertex because that is much better quality.

Comment

• Scooter
                            • May 2022

Damn, got my second accidental pop tonight. Accidentally burst a long one when blowing it up. Luckily nobody else is in the house except my Dad who didn't seem to be woken up by it (and he's a light sleeper too).

A little shaken, but it was my own fault to an extent (I was bending it more than I thought when inflating it.) Just gotta take it on the chin as a reminder to be careful. :/

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎