X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merl
    Hopper research dept.
    • Apr 2021

Noteable hopper history, by country

Looking for additional input if anyone has any. This all started in 1968-1969.

ITALY: The Pon-pon ball by Ledragomma seems to be the first hopper ever made, with Mr. Cosani credited as having the idea of a rideable PVC ball. Ledragomma patented only their unique hard plastic handle, allowing other companies to make their own versions. Ledra later released the Hop! series with soft handles. Both are still in production.

ENGLAND: the first Space Hopper by Wembley (or was it Mettoy?) was a smash hit. Several versions were released by more than one U.K. company over the years, but there were originally two sizes of the actual horned, grinning Space Hopper, the standard orange and a larger blue model. Several updated Space Hoppers have been released in recent decades, though none appear made in country.

U.S. The Hoppity Hop by Sun Rubber is the main American entry. It had a unique rugged textured surface and a ring handle. Came in red, blue, and yellow. Smaller balls were sold with various character heads. Nothing from Sun's original molds or styling is now in production. Other companies in the U.S. sold smaller hoppers designed for very young kids.

NETHERLANDS: the Skippybal, very similar in design to the Pon-Pon, was released around this time. It appears to still be popular there, though the balls are no longer made in country.

GERMANY: the hupfball, similar to a Space Hopper but with straight plain handles. Unsure at what point this was first produced.
    Last edited by Merl; 18-07-2022, 08:08.
  • Merl
    Hopper research dept.
    • Apr 2021

Re: Noteable hopper history, by country

Pon-Pon
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Merl; 14-07-2022, 21:44.

Comment

• Merl
      Hopper research dept.
      • Apr 2021

Space Hopper
      Attached Files

Comment

• Merl
        Hopper research dept.
        • Apr 2021

H. H.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Merl
          Hopper research dept.
          • Apr 2021

Skippybal
          Attached Files

Comment

• Spacehopper
            Hopper
            • Mar 2021

Shall be keeping an eye on this for obvious reasons!

Surprised Japan never got into hoppers..expected they'd have some really great designs!

Comment

• BalloonFun
              • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Merl
              Looking for additional input if anyone has any. This all started in 1968-1969.

ITALY: The Pon-pon ball by Ledragomma seems to be the first hopper ever made, with Mr. Cosani credited as having the idea of a rideable PVC ball. Ledragomma patented only their unique hard plastic handle, allowing other companies to make their own versions. Ledra later released the Hop! series with soft handles. Both are still in production.

ENGLAND: the Space Hopper by Wembley was a smash hit. Several versions were released by more than one U.K. company over the years, but there were originally two sizes of the actual horned, grinning Space Hopper, the standard orange and a larger blue model. Several updated Space Hoppers have been released in recent decades, though none appear made in country.

U.S. The Hoppity Hop by Sun Rubber is the main American entry. It had a unique rugged textured surface and a ring handle. Came in red, blue, and yellow. Smaller balls were sold with various character heads. Nothing from Sun's original molds or styling is now in production. Other companies in the U.S. sold smaller hoppers designed for very young kids.

NETHERLANDS: the Skippybal, very similar in design to the Pon-Pon, was released around this time. It appears to still be popular there, though the balls are no longer made in country.

GERMANY: the hupfball, similar to a Space Hopper but with straight plain handles. Unsure at what point this was first produced.
              Definitely familiar with Ledra. Back in the 1990s, I was introduced to "ledraplastic" when I saw my first "PhysioBall" and "Gymnastik" balls in occupational therapy. A few years later, I then noticed their Hop! (45, 55, and 66) hopping balls. I currently have one of the Waliki emoji hopping balls, purely for balance/sensory rehab, but they are also a ton of fun when hopping on it!!

Comment

• Merl
                Hopper research dept.
                • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Spacehopper
                Shall be keeping an eye on this for obvious reasons!

Surprised Japan never got into hoppers..expected they'd have some really great designs!

No, none that I've ever seen.

Got any input on the makers of different UK hoppers?
                Last edited by Merl; 15-07-2022, 22:51.

Comment

• Merl
                  Hopper research dept.
                  • Apr 2021

Originally posted by BalloonFun
                  Definitely familiar with Ledra. Back in the 1990s, I was introduced to "ledraplastic" when I saw my first "PhysioBall" and "Gymnastik" balls in occupational therapy. A few years later, I then noticed their Hop! (45, 55, and 66) hopping balls. I currently have one of the Waliki emoji hopping balls, purely for balance/sensory rehab, but they are also a ton of fun when hopping on it!!
                  I suppose it's a compliment to the advances in vinyl chemistry that modern hoppers can be as strong as they are given the thinness of the material (which makes them easy and cheap to mass produce) but, with rare exception, they just don't have the quality feel of the heavier molded old hoppers.

Comment

• Spacehopper
                    Hopper
                    • Mar 2021

No, none that I've ever seen.

Got any input on the makers of different UK hoppers?
                    There was a company in Stockport, they produced that horse hopper with the plastic handles..Raphael I think they were called..

Then there was the company that produced the 'Kangaroo Hopper' ball, that predates the Wembley one, but wasn't as popular

That's all I've got for now!

Comment

• Merl
                      Hopper research dept.
                      • Apr 2021

Been curious what the differences were btw Wembley and Mettoy hoppers. Always heard Wembley was first but that could be wrong.

Comment

• Spacehopper
                        Hopper
                        • Mar 2021

I believe they were both the same company.

I think the blue hopper came first, then the orange one cashed in on the new craze, as the world was going space crazy at the time!..

Could be wrong..

Looking around it seems hoppers were a craze in the US\UK and some of europe..I can't find much for elsewhere, but I'm pretty sure the japanese would have jumped on that!

Comment

• Merl
                          Hopper research dept.
                          • Apr 2021

It's unfortunate that videotapes were routinely blanked and re-recorded up until around 1970, I imagine lots of hopper footage from UK tv was lost forever.

Comment

• BalloonFun
                            • Apr 2022

It's unfortunate that videotapes were routinely blanked and re-recorded up until around 1970, I imagine lots of hopper footage from UK tv was lost forever.
                            I live in the US, and I have read so much about UK videotape junking back in that day. Glad that's just a thing in the past.

Comment

• Spacehopper
                              Hopper
                              • Mar 2021

Originally posted by BalloonFun
                              I live in the US, and I have read so much about UK videotape junking back in that day. Glad that's just a thing in the past.
                              Basically the tape was too expensive at the time to keep, so they just reused it..

If I get time, Merl, I'll do some digging, but you know where I am if you need me!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎