Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BalloonFun
    • Apr 2022

Cool Hi-Fi or TV Gear

I think I'll start a rather fun new thread...

Anyone here want to share about cool flat-panel TVs (OLEDs, etc.) and or Blu-ray Disc players......how about audio (hi-fi) gear?

I've been a hi-fi enthusiast since I was 19 (I'm 57 now), and this past early December 2021 finally made the big splash and got what I have affectionately christened my "bucket system".

In a CD/SACD player, I have Marantz's flagship: the SA-10 Reference. I even managed to score an SA-10 in champagne finish (so beautiful looking!). It sounds so unbelievably clear, dynamic, transparent.....I am now an SACD enthusiast! Yes, that's like a vinyl (as in LP record album) enthusiast, but I purely do digital. I have quite the SACD collection as well -- also some really good sounding CDs.

The rest of my system:

Focal Utopia headphones -- since my Marantz has a headphone output with dedicated volume control, I haven't had the need to get amps and speakers yet. I will do amps and speakers someday.

Shunyata Research Venom PS8 AC Power Conditioner: a good hi-fi system needs clean electrical current in order for the music to sound as real as it can get....

Cardas Audio Clear headphone cable - 4.5m.

I have had 3 flat panel TVs in my time, and the 3rd one needed to be a charm..

Sony Master Series OLED 48" A9S - my first ever OLED, and loving every bit of it!

Panasonic DP-UB9000p1k MKII 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player - this has been out for more than 4 years now, and there is still no equal to it......

AudioQuest Carbon48 HDMI Cable

Altogether I do have Dolby Vision HDR capability. Speaking of Dolby, I would someday like to be able to do Dolby Atmos and DTS:X sound, and could probably do it someday by starting small - something like Marantz's slim-line NR1711 AV receiver and GoldenEar BRX's in the front and GoldenEar AONs in the rears.

Please share your other toys -- uh, besides balloons!
  • LoonerHoax
    • May 2020

Re: Cool Hi-Fi or TV Gear

I've done a couple surround events as a corporate A/V audio engineer. Using a concert level line array broken down to do a TV show pilot viewing in surround... That was fun. The testing was better than the actual event. I have yet to build a really high end home theater system. That day is coming though.

Comment

• traveler_mark
      • Jan 2022

I have a few Sony Bravia FALD displays. I tried an OLED but returned it for two specific reasons:

1) Too small - it wasn't available larger than 65" and I ultimately ended up with a 75" that is better for the space
      2) Too dark - there have been some improvements over the last year or so to increase the max nits, but at the time it wasn't a bright enough technology to be used in a well-lit room during the day

My audio setup has been a Pioneer SC-27 AVR (ICE Amps) w/ Klipsch reference speakers for front, center, and rear with an SBS sub. When I reduced my home footprint (moved from a large house to a condo), I boxed up all of the audio and put in a Sony Z9F soundbar with wireless rears. When we go back into a home where the main room will likely be a little larger, I will consider putting the AVR and speakers back in place.

Comment

• Seidenki
        • Dec 2016

I like my audio sounding good, but I know it's possible to spend crazy money.

My speakers are some elderly 70 litre Vifa speakers, from back when the drivers were still being made in Denmark. They still sound amazing. Currently being driven by an otherwise fairly ordinary but recent Pioneer receiver.

On my PC, I have some Presonous 3.5 near-field monitor speakers. Super crisp and lots of punch, which is useful when making music.

For a screen, I currently have a Benq projector. I forget which one; it's one in the W series with 1080p native resolution. Gives me a nice 5 foot image on the wall. I'm less fussy about the pic than the sound as my eyesight is deteriorating with age but my hearing is not.

For portable audio, I love my Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones. Took me a while to find these and took some careful scouring of audio review sites, but so worth it. I usually use them with a Radsone Earstudio which is an audiophile Bluetooth receiver. Amazing little gadget.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎