Trying to ID older loons - looking for what replaced them?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • traveler_mark
    • Jan 2022

Trying to ID older loons - looking for what replaced them?

Hi, all.

A number of years ago, I used to be able to buy balloons from the loose bins at iParty that were marketed as "Paddle Balloons". If my memory serves me correctly, these were somewhere in the 24-30" size range and were fairly sturdy. They also had a neck with a large enough diameter that I could fit myself inside the neck as one way to enjoy.

When Party City took over the stores, they no longer sold these balloons and I never really found a replacement that was very similar. Knowing what I know now, I suppose that they may have been Q24's (which are off the market now) but have no way to know for certain (I knew nothing of brands and such back then - just where to get what I liked). It's also possible that they were actually a larger balloon and were just more rigid.

Does anyone know of a 24-30" balloon that has a neck more like that of the 36" balloon? I have a number of Unique 36" that are quite nice, but after a few inflations, I have to blow them up larger than I would prefer to get the firmness I want.
  • LoonerHoax
    • May 2020

Re: Trying to ID older loons - looking for what replaced them?

The Belbal 24" have a smaller neck and are more pear shaped. They get quite large and are usually pretty strong. The Sempertex 24" also get large and seem to be very strong and are more like a fluted 36". Almost no necking with them.

Comment

• traveler_mark
      • Jan 2022

Thanks. The Belbal is probably not what I would be looking for. How is the diameter of the neck on the Sempertex compared to say a Unique 36"? Any chance you know? Finding any sort of deflated dimensions for balloons seems to be a bit of a challenge in general...

Comment

• Meililoon
        aka lyckr
        • Sep 2014

24" Sempertex neck is on the narrow side, similar to that of a 17" Tuf-Tex. They're also very round. Bought a few to test out a few years back and I'm not really a fan.
        Belbal's neck is wider, but still nothing like what you describe. The widest neck below 30"+ would be the 18" Qualatex stuffer balloons, but they're on the smaller side in general. Of the well known brands, your best bet is most likely the 32" Cattex Longnecks.
        There's also the new 24" Roomtex, that looks to be made to imitate the old Q24. They're quite pricey though and I've never had one, so can't speak for the properties they have.

PS: The Q24 are not paddle-shaped (as in completely flat when uninflated), so that's not what you used to buy.

Comment

• traveler_mark
          • Jan 2022

Originally posted by lyckr
          24" Sempertex neck is on the narrow side, similar to that of a 17" Tuf-Tex. They're also very round. Bought a few to test out a few years back and I'm not really a fan.
          Belbal's neck is wider, but still nothing like what you describe. The widest neck below 30"+ would be the 18" Qualatex stuffer balloons, but they're on the smaller side in general. Of the well known brands, your best bet is most likely the 32" Cattex Longnecks.
          There's also the new 24" Roomtex, that looks to be made to imitate the old Q24. They're quite pricey though and I've never had one, so can't speak for the properties they have.

PS: The Q24 are not paddle-shaped (as in completely flat when uninflated), so that's not what you used to buy.
          Thanks.

I have some of the 18" Qualatex stuffers on the way. I've also picked up some of the 17" Decorate Your Way balloons from WalMart and am currently experimenting with those as well. They seem to be able to overinflate a bit with each subsequent blow although I don't yet know that they can actually handle being ridden at/near peak size.

Comment

• Exaturbo
            • Feb 2021

I recently tried the 18” qualatex staffer, and couldn’t fit comfortably inside the neck, it was just too tight.

The Q24 was good for this. But the 18” stuffers weren’t. For me anyway.

Comment

• traveler_mark
              • Jan 2022

Originally posted by Exaturbo
              I recently tried the 18” qualatex staffer, and couldn’t fit comfortably inside the neck, it was just too tight.

The Q24 was good for this. But the 18” stuffers weren’t. For me anyway.
              I got my Q18 Stuffer balloons... I am able to fit inside the neck, but I do need to pre-stretch it for that to be able to happen - still a bit snug, though. My bigger issue is that the balloon is just a bit smaller in size than I would like it to be. I may try doubling up the balloons to add strength so I can inflate them more and see if that will give me what I'm hoping for.

Comment

• Exaturbo
                • Feb 2021

Originally posted by traveler_mark
                I got my Q18 Stuffer balloons... I am able to fit inside the neck, but I do need to pre-stretch it for that to be able to happen - still a bit snug, though. My bigger issue is that the balloon is just a bit smaller in size than I would like it to be. I may try doubling up the balloons to add strength so I can inflate them more and see if that will give me what I'm hoping for.

Agree on the size. Q24s were perfect for this.
                I have not tried pre stretching the necks of the 18” stuffers yet.
                Still think they will be too tight.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍