Old 03-09-2019, 03:33 PM
LoonLover1999

Default Re: Rescued Balloons
I agree too. Balloons cost money, if they are helium filled it costs to inflate them too. To simply take them without permission is theft.

To some a balloon is insignificant to take but it would be different if it was say a car. To take a car without consent is known to UK police as TWOK or taking without consent.

If you get consent feel free to take balloons but don’t just nick them.
Old 13-09-2019, 11:13 PM

Loonorm is on a distinguished road
I know that it’s been a few days since anyone has posted anything on this thread, but I wanted to add something that might be of interest to everyone. People have mentioned that they want to ‘steal’ balloons from car dealerships, stores, etc., only because the ultimate end of the balloons will be bursting them. It has been brought up a couple of times that all anyone needs to do is ask. You never know...you might just get lucky, and score some pretty nice balloons! I have a personal experience, now, by just asking. I have ‘made friends’ with the lady who runs the floral department at a local JEWEL food store. Last year, for my birthday, I purchased some two dozen latex balloons for myself (they were not birthday balloons, but plain ones). She asked what I intended to do with them, and I told her flat out that I was going to take them home, play with them, and ultimately pop them. She kinda laughed, and then out of the blue, asked if I wanted more! I said ‘SURE!’, and what’s the catch? No catch, just had to get rid of some mylars that were not needed, and I could have them for 50 cents each, as it would save her time by not having to destroy them, and then knowing that someone would enjoy them. So now, after every holiday, I will go back to the JEWEL, and ‘rescue’ as many mylar balloons that I can. Occasionally will even get some latex ones also! I have, also, purchased some extra balloons, just to make it look good. Another ‘score’ that I have had recently, has been with realtors and open houses! Within the last 6 months, I have collected at least 40+ balloons from a few realtors! If I happen across an open house, and there are balloons, I will find a chance to go to the house and ask them what their intentions are with the balloons. I will then ask if I could have them when they are done with them. I actually had one call me a couple of times saying that she was having an open house, and was using balloons. All I needed to do was help her gather her signs up, let her keep her clips, and then I could keep the balloons! I would get there about 10 minutes after closing, driving around, gathering her signs up, bringing them back to her office, and going home with quite a few balloons! All you need to do is ask... I have yet to get the nerve up to do so at a car dealership, however...
Old 14-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Banned

BalloonBoyUK is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Rescued Balloons
Well done, Loonorm!

It's far better to ask, and as long as people are honest (and don't mention that they want balloons for anything sexual), most organisations, stores and businesses will often let people have their balloons for nothing, or in exchange for just a bit of help/a donation to charity.

Considering these balloons would go to waste - literally and figuratively - then, I think it's better that people ask and get, than steal. You never know, when asking might end-up striking gold and getting something far better in the long-term.

I have an arrangement with one particular local store, which has been in place for a few years now, and I've had hundreds of helium balloons from them! Sometimes, it'll be a bunch of 70 or more. Othertimes, it'll just be four or five. But each-and-every-one of those balloons would simply have been popped and thrown in the bin. All were 10"-11" balloons. And boy, when you score and get a big bunch of free balloons, the enjoyment factor is huge!

Now that the store gets a small charitable financial donation from me, in exchange for the balloons, and I get to take them home. That's a win-win in my view!

I have similar arrangements with several stores/businesses near me, and the staff know me as "The Balloon Guy". But you know what? That's fine by me. I see it as doing them a favour, and I get free balloons out of it - which in my eyes, is a massive deal in my favour. I've also had 18" helium-filled mylars, and larger Mylar Orbs as well. With other places, I've even been lucky enough to get 3 foot air-filled Qualatex rounds on a few occasions. The worst someone can do, is say "No, sorry".

That's it.

But, most, will probably say "Yes", as long as you don't act weird and get all pissy about it. So, always, always ask, because taking just a minute or two to do so, may just be the best thing you ever did, and could end up being really beneficial to you!

Last edited by BalloonBoyUK; 14-09-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 18-09-2019, 03:01 PM

PBK is on a distinguished road
I get lots of balloons for free by simply asking.
Most of the time we overthink it. Balloons are just another daily object to most people to be used and discarded. Therefore most people look at it like you're doing them a favor by taking their balloons (after asking, first, of course). This saves them the hassle of disposing of them and usually they look at it as a win-win if they are informed the balloons are going to be given to my children (which is a half-truth). I used to be very shy about asking, but once I realized that most people don't care, it became a lot easier. Most times people I ask don't even question it, and even thank me. I've run into a few instances where it was "take them all or take none" and I've had a very large amount to take in multiple trips.

I've only been turned down a handful a times. Sometime I've gotten a reason. Sometimes not. I never question it or get upset. I just say "thanks anyway" and move on.
Old 28-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Banned

BalloonBoyUK is on a distinguished road
Woohoo!

Simply by asking, being polite, and offering a small cash donation to charity, I've just scored 13 x 18 inch purple foil helium heart balloons. The two ladies who helped me get them, were very kind, and they were happy for me to take them all off of their hands, rather than have the balloons wasted or popped.

I'm a very happy bunny.
Old 28-09-2019, 10:19 PM

Seasider is on a distinguished road
I saw this morning that my local Skoda dealer had a load of balloons our. I went back at about 20 minutes before closing and asked if I could take some of the balloons and they were fine - safe to say I am now sat on my sofa “enjoying them” - it was a great thrill of and the staff weren’t bothered at all
Attached Images:
Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 PM

Seasidelad is an unknown quantity at this point
Most of the balloons I have had have been given out or been on a balloon tree. I have seen balloons at car dealers but I am not really into balloons that have been left outside all day. Sometimes I have asked even if they were on the balloon tree but I never took too many
Old 03-10-2019, 08:49 PM

Seasider is on a distinguished road
Agreed the ones tied to the cars outside are not ideal, having been in the weather all day. The two places close to my work that always have balloons on trees at the moment are a tui holiday shop and the nationwide building society. The nationwide ones I think are 12” belbals and look really nice!
Old 21-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Loonorm is on a distinguished road
So I have posted in another link about getting mylar balloons from my local JEWEL grocery store (floral department) this past weekend, and I have posted here about ‘rescued balloons’. But here’s my question to the group. Has anyone ever gone to a banquet hall, or an event center, and have asked for the display balloons there? I figured you would have a good chance of getting larger balloons, and more balloons, than elsewhere. Curious.... As a side note... Quite a few of the suburbs around where I live have passed legislation banning outdoor display balloons. Quite a few dealerships have gone to the large plastic balloons for display. Many dealerships don’t even have the large displays inside the stores anymore.
Old 22-10-2019, 06:29 PM

bubblesNdragons is on a distinguished road
Back then, I only took home balloons from parties and school events because half of the people there took some home too. I did it then so that I wouldn't look out of place. One exception I made was when I was at a book festival for local authors in my area, they had some balloons. When a staff member was about to pop and throw away some, I rushed up to her to ask if I could take them home instead, in which she said yes.
Nowadays I don't really take home balloons from public anymore because the balloons they use are almost never big enough to please me.