Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heliumsitr68
    • Nov 2021

Helium Tank Refill Cost

I have a steel 55 cu. ft. tank . (I think that's was it is ) anyone know what it would cost to get it refilled ? It was given to me awhile back by a neighbor as scrap metal when they moved . It was still partially filled with helium and has the regulator . The remaining helium lasted me for awhile so I'd guess the tank was mostly full when I got it . Any ideas ?

I know it'd be a much more cost effective option to those Balloon Time tanks .
    Popper ! I love helium balloons
  • EthylTheAardvark
    • Nov 2016

Re: Helium Tank Refill Cost

Those Balloon Time tanks are a total ripoff. Whatever it costs you to refill it, it'll be less expensive and higher quality than one of those tanks.

Comment

• heliumsitr68
      • Nov 2021

I'm trying to get a rough idea of price right now since the cost of everything has gotten a bit crazy lately . I just don't need anymore sticker shock right now so I trying to get an idea of what to expect .

Comment

• stretchedtight
        • Apr 2013

probably about $100-$160 depending on where you go. Caution - you said it was gifted "awhile back", almost certain it will need a hydro-static pressure test done before it can be filled. Most only last 5 years. Some 10 years. So you would have pay to have the tank tested unless you can exchange it, which typically is only from the original place that provided the tank. Hydro testing varies in price but a fair price is USD$50-60.

https://laballoons.com/pages/helium-tank-fills

Comment

• Nopops4me
          • Jun 2015

Heliumsitr68. That was a gift to be sure. A 55cuft helium tank. Come to think about it, a helium tank next door? What was it doing there? Could it have been a LOONER living there all these years and you didn't know. May go to show that the sound of balloons bursting doesn't travel outside after all. Get the pump, pin, sharp nails, breath back. It's going to be noisy tonight - yeah.

Comment

• Tracy
            • May 2018

My last 60cf tank fill, a few months ago, was about $110. Note that a lot of used helium tanks were actually under lease or rental, and the tank may have a stamp to that effect. If it does, no reputable supplier will fill it. (But there's only one way to find out...)

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
              • Apr 2022

I literally just got my 60 cubic ft tank dropped back off from a welder near me. Originally they said it would cost 175 dollars. But they informed me that it was only 120! So that’s a WIN. And I’m so so happy I got my cylinder filled! My boyfriend ordered an empty one on Amazon and he told me I can take it to a welder who will then bring it to get filled. It took me an extra week to get it back but I’m so happy! “Shortage” my ass. And I still have my large tank with maybe 1/4 left in it, aka 50 or so 11 inch balloons. Got that filled in January 2021!

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
                • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Tracy
                My last 60cf tank fill, a few months ago, was about $110. Note that a lot of used helium tanks were actually under lease or rental, and the tank may have a stamp to that effect. If it does, no reputable supplier will fill it. (But there's only one way to find out...)
                Where did you get it filled back in the summer? Back in the summer it seemed absolutely hopeless that it would never be the same again.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
                  • May 2020

My preferred distributor that I get all my bulk balloons from locally has her helium price locked in via multi-year contract so her pricing is actually really good. During COVID I payed about $140 for a 220cf tank that I used to fill over 150-Q16's, 6-Q24's and some deco bubbles in a hotel room for my wife's birthday. If I get the 110cf tank, it runs me $90ish. She requires a $250 deposit, but I paid that 5 or 6 years ago and have just kept it rolling. Makes it a little less costly.

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
                    • Apr 2022

Originally posted by LoonerHoax
                    My preferred distributor that I get all my bulk balloons from locally has her helium price locked in via multi-year contract so her pricing is actually really good. During COVID I payed about $140 for a 220cf tank that I used to fill over 150-Q16's, 6-Q24's and some deco bubbles in a hotel room for my wife's birthday. If I get the 110cf tank, it runs me $90ish. She requires a $250 deposit, but I paid that 5 or 6 years ago and have just kept it rolling. Makes it a little less costly.
                    I love that she’s working with you and has reasonable prices! Yes I wish it cost that for my 60 cubic feet tank and I’m lucky I got 50 dollars knocked off what we originally thought. Why must she be all the way in SoCal

Comment

• Tracy
                      • May 2018

Originally posted by Blueballoondude89
                      Where did you get it filled back in the summer? Back in the summer it seemed absolutely hopeless that it would never be the same again.
                      An Airgas facility in Rockland County, NY. I know that a lot of welding supply places won't supply non-commercial customers when things are tight, but I have never had a problem with them.

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
                        • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Tracy
                        An Airgas facility in Rockland County, NY. I know that a lot of welding supply places won't supply non-commercial customers when things are tight, but I have never had a problem with them.
                        Hmmm … I’m in Western NY. I previously did rent a tank from a Airgas facility until 2019 when they suddenly cut me off due to a “shortage.” Whereas I had no issue renting from another place. And for far cheaper than Airgas. Maybe it’s because you’re in a completely opposite part of the state or something.
                        Last edited by Blueballoondude89; 12-11-2022, 00:39.

Comment

• heliumsitr68
                          • Nov 2021

Thanks for the replies everyone !! I'll have to actually look closely at the tank for any markings as I have no idea if it was a rental or not ! The former neighbor had supposedly had it for parties for their 2 girls...so who knows ? I'd doubt that he or his wife were looners as if it were me , I'd never be willing to part with even a partially filled helium tank ! LOL!

As for just exchanging the tank , I didn't even think of that one . I did recently exchange a tank for my personal welder and the gas suppier never even batted an eye other than to make sure that what I got was the same as what I had !

Regarding price , anything under $175 would be perfectly fine by me . Last time I was out and about ,I noticed that those stupid Balloon Time tanks are up to $50 each !!!
                          Besides , I've always used a mix of helium and air in my balloons to increase the number I can fill as since I love to pop them anyways , they don't usually get to float for a long time anyhow ! ;-) My record is about 2 dozen necked out Tuf-Tex 14" from one of the large size Balloon Time tanks . Based on that , a 55cu. ft. tank of "real helium" should last me awhile !

Comment

• Tracy
                            • May 2018

Originally posted by heliumsitr68
                            Besides , I've always used a mix of helium and air in my balloons to increase the number I can fill as since I love to pop them anyways , they don't usually get to float for a long time anyhow ! ;-) My record is about 2 dozen necked out Tuf-Tex 14" from one of the large size Balloon Time tanks . Based on that , a 55cu. ft. tank of "real helium" should last me awhile !
                            If, like me, you are not into balloon longevity, you should (if you have not done so) invest in a Conwin 60/40 inflator. It's like any other balloon regulator/inflator, except it has an air inlet just below the inflation nozzle that draws in 40% air to 60% helium. So the helium in your tank will last almost twice as long, and you don't have to mess around with partly blowing them up and then putting them on the tank.

If you want 100% helium in the balloon - like if you are inflating much smaller balloons and want them to actually float, you just cover the air hole with your finger.

End of sales pitch!

Comment

• heliumsitr68
                              • Nov 2021

Thanks for the tip Tracy !! I need to dig out my inflator and see exactly what it is . Like you , my helium balloons don't live very long anyways since they usually get popped as soon as I get done inflating them all ! I know those Balloon Time tanks are supposedly only 50% helium to begin with . I typically fill my balloons to a bit more than 1/2 to 3/4 way to rated size with air , than fill them the rest of the way with the helium . If I want them really full and well necked , I usually finish them by mouth than tie them off and add the ribbon/string . Typically , I've just tied the other end directly to one of the tank handles . When the tank is empty , play time begins !! The longest they've ever survived before getting popped was MAYBE a few hours . Typically , they all were floating rather nicely with the string/ribbon relatively taut at the time of their demise ! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍