Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoonerHoax
    • May 2020

Re: Weakspots?

The 60" and 72" Tuftex are still latex. I acquired a couple of them from local car dealerships a few years ago. I also ended up with some monster cloudbuster chloroprene balloons from a birthday party that hired the band I worked for at the time. I also ended up with almost a dozen white Q36. The guy who installed the balloons said they were going to collect the 8' and 10' to be reused. The guy who came to clean up left them all behind. They went home with me.

Comment

• andrew_looner
      • Feb 2019

I've started patching pinholes with latex and it works perfectly (by latex, I mean dipping latex, not latex for makeup).

Comment

• Whale Rider
        • Nov 2022

Originally posted by panther42
        Seriously, have to love a fetish forum that gets in to exotic physics :-)
        compound decay its chemistry ^^ particle decay is physics ^^proton decay is kinda non issue since before that becomes relevant in such amounts to affect nice balloons the sun will have blown up and swallowed the earth...

it just is to rare ^^

Comment

• Whale Rider
          • Nov 2022

Originally posted by gardenofwank
          I've started patching pinholes with latex and it works perfectly (by latex, I mean dipping latex, not latex for makeup).
          please elaborate

Comment

• andrew_looner
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Whale Rider
            please elaborate
            Well, I bought about 500ml of pre-vulcanised latex and used some of it to patch my Chinese balloons that are very prone to pinholes (see first attachment).

This even works for more heavy-duty stuff like holes (see last attachment). It takes about 30m-1hr to fully cure and the result is a usable balloon. I use this especially on big ones since it sucks to have to toss out an 18" because of a small hole.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Whale Rider
              • Nov 2022

Originally posted by gardenofwank
              Well, I bought about 500ml of pre-vulcanised latex and used some of it to patch my Chinese balloons that are very prone to pinholes (see first attachment).

This even works for more heavy-duty stuff like holes (see last attachment). It takes about 30m-1hr to fully cure and the result is a usable balloon. I use this especially on big ones since it sucks to have to toss out an 18" because of a small hole.
              so you just... dip or do you use a brush? how long can you keep the liquid latex usable I imagine it get solid after half a year?

Comment

• andrew_looner
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Whale Rider
                so you just... dip or do you use a brush? how long can you keep the liquid latex usable I imagine it get solid after half a year?
                I use a spoon handle to apply a bit of latex. I keep the liquid in an airtight container - it should last about a year or so; it doesn't solidify, it only forms a film on the top of the liquid.

Comment

• Azurefox
                  • Jan 2023

I'm sorry to necro this but I believe I have something to add here.

There is a #8 defect. That is balloons in a pack that are stuck to themselves or others. if you pull them apart, it feels like pulling something away from glue.
                  From my experience, this is a fatal defect. pulling latex from itself seems to damage it in some way. I've had a couple of experiences where a balloon from a bag was stuck to itself (qualatax) and popped on inflation. For that reason, I will discard any balloon that sticks to itself because, as a non-popper, I am kind of paranoid about that thing.

Comment

• Nickloon
                    • Jul 2022

If the balloons stick together, it is a clear sign that they are old and far past their use-by date. Respectively, they can be inflated, but it is a lottery ticket, the latex is weakened and already noticeably degraded.
                    I wouldn't say it's a manufacturing defect, more like age.​

Comment

• Azurefox
                      • Jan 2023

Originally posted by Nickloon
                      If the balloons stick together, it is a clear sign that they are old and far past their use-by date. Respectively, they can be inflated, but it is a lottery ticket, the latex is weakened and already noticeably degraded.
                      I wouldn't say it's a manufacturing defect, more like age.​
                      I wouldn't say necessarily. The experience I quoted was a bag of brand new sapphire blue qualatex. The talc powder inside the balloon is for the purpose of preventing the balloon from sticking to the mold and itself inside the package. If the talc isn't there properly, I would still call it a manufacturing defect rather than age. If the balloons are very old, you'll know too by the smell.
                      Last edited by Azurefox; 15-11-2023, 18:02. Reason: Apparently I stutter when I type.

Comment

• Sit2Pop
                        Certified Looner
                        • Oct 2023

Originally posted by Azurefox
                        I'm sorry to necro this but I believe I have something to add here.

There is a #8 defect. That is balloons in a pack that are stuck to themselves or others. if you pull them apart, it feels like pulling something away from glue.
                        From my experience, this is a fatal defect. pulling latex from itself seems to damage it in some way. I've had a couple of experiences where a balloon from a bag was stuck to itself (qualatax) and popped on inflation. For that reason, I will discard any balloon that sticks to itself because, as a non-popper, I am kind of paranoid about that thing.
                        Yeah, balloons sticking together is a bit of a mixed bag for me (no pun intended). If they aren't sticking too bad, then the balloons are usually ok, but if they are super sticked together, and require decent force to separate, then the balloons have most likely weakened, and I notice the areas where they stuck together to stretch out and inflate first, further proving the fact that area weakened. Usually I can still use them (albeit slightly underinflated), but I have to be careful, making sure not to be too rough, especially with the weakened area of the balloon.

Comment

• Slow DeFlaite
                          • Apr 2023

(2) Defect can be corrected sometimes using a Hair Dryer to Shrink the thinner latex and contract it back together.
                          (6) I LOVE The "Circle of Doom!" It's VERY thin. I call it a "Fisheye". Sometimes when it Fails the Balloon will burst. Other times it fails and olnly opens up as far as the circle without tareing the Balloon! It makes a Sexy Hissing sound as the balloon is deflating. You can either ride it down flat or patch it with scotch tape & blow it back up. Personally I place the tip of my twink up to the Hole and let the air do it's work!

Comment

• Azurefox
                            • Jan 2023

Anyone get balloons sometimes that are very uneven at the inflection point (You know that part where the bulb attaches to the neck)?

Sometimes if you look at a balloon in profile, one side will have a very smooth curve while the other side will be much sharper. Do you find these balloons have a tendency to randomly pop or is it just my imagination?

Probably just another one of a phobic's unreasonable paranoia. Sometimes I feel like I'm actually looking for excuses to waste balloons (that might otherwise be perfectly viable).

Comment

• Absalon
                              • Oct 2023

I suddenly received such a helium balloon and I am very afraid of it. It seems to me that such a defect is much more dangerous than creases from storage or church windows. What do you say?
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• NonPopExpress
                                • Dec 2023

Eeeeeeek I'd be letting that one float away.. that is terrifying. Looks like some of those photos of failed tyres haha

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎