Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 26-10-2021, 10:29 PM
loonlun loonlun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 97
loonlun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
I usually put on hearing protection ear muffs.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28-10-2021, 02:39 AM
SirSquishy's Avatar
SirSquishy SirSquishy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 190
SirSquishy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
I've heard that dog hair dryers are quiet. I've never gotten one to find out for myself though. Anybody know how quiet dog hair dryers really are? Would love to use one if they are silent. They have a lot of power, and can blow hot air.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28-10-2021, 05:50 AM
panther42 panther42 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 17
panther42 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick-Fill AP628 - availability, or direct follow-on model?
Hi @glovepopper (do @ references of users work in this forum??), are you still around?
Is your Quick-Fill AP628 pump still with you and working?

Where were you able to buy that? I cannot find that model anymore.
I see that it's rated at only 195W, which would make it much quieter (typical cheap small balloon inflators are 400W to 600W, and Watts make noise unless built into much more expensive appliances).
Running a 195W device at half voltage (and thus half wattage) would definitely make it quiet. I'd love to try that.
But to try the half-voltage trick we'd first have to know that a particular model has no voltage-sensitive circuitry; so much stuff these days has digital electronics in it (and some motors also don't like "wrong" voltages) that I'm hesitant to buy something and just try it.. so the ideal would be to get the same model.

All inputs welcomed, thank you!

Originally Posted by glovepopper View Post
To reduce the noise, usually I'm powering my Intex pump with a reduced voltage, from the 230V/110V transformer. The additional noise reduction I got from wrapping my pump into the blanket.
The sound of my pump noise you can hear on the short video zipped into the file attached to this post. I also checked how much the pressure drop after silencing - 30 mmHg is still enough for the large balloons.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-08-2022, 08:35 AM
lnr13 lnr13 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Espaņa
Posts: 12
lnr13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
Hi, I see that some of you buy transformers to halve the working voltage of the pump.

Just to add that the same effect can be achieved by inserting a diode in the pump cable (only 1 and only in the phase or neutral cable).




In this way we will obtain only half of the electrical wave (for practical purposes, half of the voltage).

The biggest difference is that a diode only costs $1 or less (or can even be extracted from a broken device).

Just keep in mind to use a diode of adequate size to the voltage (230V) and the power of the pump and to insulate well to avoid a displeasure.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-08-2022, 03:34 PM
heleo heleo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 71
heleo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
Originally Posted by lnr13 View Post
Hi, I see that some of you buy transformers to halve the working voltage of the pump.

Just to add that the same effect can be achieved by inserting a diode in the pump cable (only 1 and only in the phase or neutral cable).




In this way we will obtain only half of the electrical wave (for practical purposes, half of the voltage).

The biggest difference is that a diode only costs $1 or less (or can even be extracted from a broken device).




Just keep in mind to use a diode of adequate size to the voltage (230V) and the power of the pump and to insulate well to avoid a displeasure.
NO NO NO
this will damage the motor, cause problems for the electrical supply company and you will need to insulate the diode and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-08-2022, 11:40 AM
lnr13 lnr13 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Espaņa
Posts: 12
lnr13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
Originally Posted by heleo View Post
NO NO NO
this will damage the motor, cause problems for the electrical supply company and you will need to insulate the diode and so on.
This system is used in many of the appliances we have around the house: Fans for example.

I have been using this for years and have never had a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-08-2022, 09:35 PM
heleo heleo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 71
heleo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
It is highy illegal to use the circuit you have suggested, you may have confused it with triac phase control. I do have a degree in electrical power enginering.

regards
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-08-2022, 01:09 AM
onemoreblow onemoreblow is offline
Master Over Inflator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central US
Posts: 80
onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
A less lethal option would be a quieter pump, or make a muffler from filter foam
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-08-2022, 10:42 AM
glovepopper's Avatar
glovepopper glovepopper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 128
glovepopper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
Originally Posted by heleo View Post
It is highy illegal to use the circuit you have suggested, you may have confused it with triac phase control. I do have a degree in electrical power enginering.
I have encountered this way of reducing power (using a diode) in hair dryers. Induction motors will not work because of the DC component of the single-lead rectified current, but commutator (brushed) motors will work and will not be damaged. The air pumps have brushed motors, because only they can reach high speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-08-2022, 03:12 PM
heleo heleo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 71
heleo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?
Originally Posted by glovepopper View Post
I have encountered this way of reducing power (using a diode) in hair dryers. Induction motors will not work because of the DC component of the single-lead rectified current, but commutator (brushed) motors will work and will not be damaged. The air pumps have brushed motors, because only they can reach high speeds.
It must be a device that has not been certified. DC components cause significant issues for the supply company.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.