Old 27-07-2022, 01:14 AM

balloonPatcher is on a distinguished road
Default Ebay Vintage Punch balloon sale
I followed two Ebay auctions a few weeks ago. Two vintage punch balloons from the mid 1960's came up for sale. I contacted the seller about the balloons and they were 13" in length and 3 oz (80-85 gm) in weight. They were Beatles collector items. The pink one went for $480 USD and the yellow went for about $443 USD!! Just incredible.

beatles01.jpg

beatles06.jpg
Old 27-07-2022, 02:19 AM

Blown2Bits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ebay Vintage Punch balloon sale
I wonder if they can still be inflated after such a long time
Discord: Blown2Bits#9254
Old 29-07-2022, 01:07 AM

Merl is on a distinguished road
Almost certainly not.
Old 29-07-2022, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Almost certainly not.
They seem like really thick latex considering they weight as much as two 36" balloons. So I would not be sure about it. Plus back then they used different additives to the latex that no longer get used nowadays due to health concerns. I would definitely try to inflate them if I would get my hands on them. But paying triple digits for them is just crazy.
Old 30-07-2022, 01:16 PM

Blueballoondude89 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blown2Bits View Post
They seem like really thick latex considering they weight as much as two 36" balloons. So I would not be sure about it. Plus back then they used different additives to the latex that no longer get used nowadays due to health concerns. I would definitely try to inflate them if I would get my hands on them. But paying triple digits for them is just crazy.
Additives to the latex … is that why the shades of color in Qualatex standard colors are much darker than they were back in the 60s 70s 80s etc? I really want old school yellow, dark blue and dark green!!!
Old 30-07-2022, 02:06 PM

I think you can reproduce pretty much any colour with the currently used additives. It is more likely that Qualatex decided that the new colours sell better than the old ones. Did you check their catalogue if the colour is truly gone? Usually there are several shades of each colour.
https://pioneerballooncompany.widen...._of_colors_pww
Old 31-07-2022, 02:40 PM

Punchballer is on a distinguished road
I bought three of those same kind of punch balls on Ebay during the 2000's. Except they are not "The Beatles" ball which can go for a very high price! Two of mine were the "Romper Room" punch balls and other a regular crazy striped punch ball. All three are really big like those Beatle balls rated at 18" maximum size. However from the looks of them capable of well over 20". A hard plastic inflation tube is provided to help you inflate them with a service station air hose. I couldn't resist the temptation to blow up one of the "Romper Room" balls to see if it would inflate. I blew up the 30 year old ball to at least 17" in diameter! I played with it for a moment before deciding to give it a squeeze to make it more round like I remembered them to be. Suddenly "Boom" it burst. That's all it took but amazingly it did blow up. I still have the other two balls in their packages and I won't try to use them. They're just collectables. My curiosity satisfied.
Old 31-07-2022, 02:44 PM

Merl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Punchballer View Post
I bought three of those same kind of punch balls on Ebay during the 2000's. Except they are not "The Beatles" ball which can go for a very high price! Two of mine were the "Romper Room" punch balls and other a regular crazy striped punch ball. All three are really big like those Beatle balls rated at 18" maximum size. However from the looks of them capable of well over 20". A hard plastic inflation tube is provided to help you inflate them with a service station air hose. I couldn't resist the temptation to blow up one of the "Romper Room" balls to see if it would inflate. I blew up the 30 year old ball to at least 17" in diameter! I played with it for a moment before deciding to give it a squeeze to make it more round like I remembered them to be. Suddenly "Boom" it burst. That's all it took but amazingly it did blow up. I still have the other two balls in their packages and I won't try to use them. They're just collectables. My curiosity satisfied.
Many years ago I found a three pack in an antique mall. They were probably 1950s. Somewhat sticky and brittle, they got to about 12 inches before they blew out.

Not to jack the thread but what did you think of the 22 inch CTI punch balls? Is there anything current that's close to comparable?

Last edited by Merl; 31-07-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 31-07-2022, 03:02 PM

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/AaNABGN...kpDDeR0UBuPDY/
Old 31-07-2022, 03:12 PM

I tried the CTIs too. Size wise probably bigger rated at 22". But not as thick and more like the typical punch balls of today. You can't hardly see the flutes or lines in these balls either which for me takes away the attractiveness.