Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WillNye
    • Feb 2021

Weakspots on cloudbusters

So I just got this cloudbuster yesterday. It's a 5.5ft one and damn is it big. I inflated it this morning to about 40 - 42inch as that's the literal maximum size i have available in my room and as i was adding the clip, with the backlight i noticed what looks like weak spots...... and they were everywhere. I've prodded and poked them a bunch and they don't look too unstable (although it was at 60% inflation so of course it won't do much) but now i'm so incredibly nervous about it busting and i cannot determine if it's something all cloudbusters have or if I just got handed some real bad luck.

I've posted 2 images with the backlight to visibly show them, but the image with just the 1 weak spot is also incredibly visible without the light.

So I ask those with cloudbusters, is this something for me to get really concerned over or if it's just fine. Thx in advance.
    Attached Files
  • balloonPatcher
    • Jun 2020

Re: Weakspots on cloudbusters

Those weak spots look like bubbles that can occur during dipping. The balloon will last as long as the thinnest spot lasts. I have had a couple of occasions when on an older large balloon, a spot breaks but the balloon does not burst.
    I generally patch the weakspots so the balloon will last longer and can be inflated bigger. Unfortunately, I have not found an adhesive for the chloroprene latex of the cloudbusters. Should be OK though for multiple inflations if you under inflate as you mentioned.

Comment

• WillNye
      • Feb 2021

I have liquid latex, but would that stick to the chloroprene?

Comment

• balloonPatcher
        • Jun 2020

I would try. If it works then you have found something valuable forbother looners.

Comment

• WillNye
          • Feb 2021

Tried it, and for the most part, it works, but once I started to dry another patch I noticed that it started to peel off, so I peeled it off and no damage was done. now for granted it's only 1 layer and it would take multiple for effective reinforcement. The others are not showing signs of peeling off, but I'll keep wary.

Comment

• Balloonymous
            • Sep 2017

I've been passively blowing up an 8F cloudbuster of my own in my bedroom and I do see all those weakspots on mine as well. It's currently sitting at 5.5F tall and still standing strong. So as frightened that it might just explode randomly, at least for now it's partially blown up and getting attention instead of just wasting away in a bag cuz I don't want to burst it accidentally.

Comment

• IILoonerII
              Banned
              • Feb 2020

Are those “type” balloons similar to regular balloons? Thinking of trying one.

Comment

• WillNye
                • Feb 2021

So, I guess the best way to summarise cloudbusters is to say that they're the intermediate of normal latex balloons and weather balloons. They have so much more give than normal balloons but they're not too squishy to where you reach the floor with weather balloons, though when inflated barely you will still bottom out. They're made of chloroprene compared to latex which is more weather resistant than latex which is why it's used in outdoor events, so i think it may last longer than latex.

They come in 3 sizes only, 4ft (122cm), 5.5ft (168cm), and 8ft (244cm) and in an assortment of colours. In the image that is a 5.5ft one with an uninflated "3ft" balloon and as you can see, it's massive uninflated. comes out to 86cm and also they have more of a nozzle than a neck so there is no necking and is easier to clip.

To describe the experience they give, I'm not really the best example, I'm barely 70kg and so scared of popping it I haven't tried anything too rough with it (the weakspots don't help with that either), so someone else would have to give their experience on how much abuse they can take. Though for me it's still strong and doesn't feel like it'll immediately pop.

Now for some downsides, the main one is cost, as expected for something this large it definitely comes with the price cap, I got that one for £19 or $23.50, and the 8ft one can go for £35 or $43. So you really wouldn't want to pop it in a stupid way otherwise it would feel like losing a kidney or two. You cannot climb inside them either (i think that is obvious) and also like any other balloon, are prone to weakspots, I haven't inflated mine past 4ft because of them (also I do not have the physical space to inflate it bigger) though so far they seem to be holding strong and liquid latex does help to reinforce the big weakspots.

So that's the best description I can give of them, even though i've only had that cloudbuster for a few days now I absolutely enjoy it and wish to get more (without the weakspots hopefully) and prefer them to normal latex balloons.
                Attached Files

Comment

• IILoonerII
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2020

Thanks. im not sure how weak spots.. “work” on those balloons. But they can be weird.. unless its an obvious spot. Ive put tape on weak spots that appear. And when the balloon pops. it was never that spot, i put tape on lol. I will look into using that method to fix them when i get one. They are expensive.

Comment

• WillNye
                    • Feb 2021

I don't know these weak spots either, but the idea of bubbles forming when dipping does make the most sense, so they're just thin spots dotted around the balloon. Ultimately, the best way to find out would be to inflate to it's rated size but that idea is unfathomable to me, and I won't risk it.

However, when weather balloons are made they test them to their rated size, and even then my weather balloon had a weakspot that had to be reinforced. So if something that fragile can supposedly reach it's rated size with a weakspot like that on the cloudbuster then it does reinsure me that maybe it can reach it's rated size just fine.
                    Last edited by WillNye; 20-01-2023, 23:35.

Comment

• IILoonerII
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2020

Thats great know that they test them. Considering how expensive they are.

Comment

• WillNye
                        • Feb 2021

I mean, I’d assume they would, considering it’s qualatex that make them as well, if so many of these cloudbusters were to have the weak spots then they mustn’t clearly cause any issues.

Comment

• IILoonerII
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2020

I remember reading something about weak spots on balloons. They said its part of the process and it just happens. Doesn't mean it will cause it to pop. Unless, if its one of those spots that will give you a heart attack once you see it lol. No balloon will be perfect. Which i guess explains.. about the spots acting weird. The balloon will pop.. but you will see that “spot” that was supposed to pose a problem. And it didnt.. oddly.

Comment

• Whale Rider
                            • Nov 2022

oh cool weather ballons are inflated to rated size? ^^ sound like a good job for us ;-)

Comment

Working...