Old 12-06-2022, 04:24 AM

Big Thud Joe is on a distinguished road
Default Looner communities crowd fund to buy out Intex?
This was more of a passing thought, what would the possibility of all the looner communities getting together, and crowd funding to buy out Intex. Then when taken over, to change their product line to include more 42 inch beach balls. 36 inches are just a little too small and 48 inches do get somewhat unwieldy. Somehow I think I'm dreaming, but yeah, what do others think. Just putting it out there.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:31 AM

heaviest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looner communities crowd fund to buy out Intex?
Is that the only objective? Getting more 42 inch beach balls?

I want a single-chamber version of the french fry float. I'll propose it as a cost savings. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Also, bring back the double suntanner.

I'll be product durability tester. We could have lots of job openings for durability testers, lol.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:20 AM

Djballbounce is on a distinguished road
Sign me up! I'd love to have that on my resume haha
Old 12-06-2022, 06:52 PM

PBK is on a distinguished road
I'd be totally down for them re-introducing the 48" beachballs with the classic color pattern.
Old 13-06-2022, 07:41 AM

A few summers ago, they had a 42 inch ball that was white with translucent panels, but I kind of noted beach balls as a starting point. Just seems to be so many looners who have a variety of likes, and thought they may be a market for such.

When a thought bubble hits reality, I myself would have to be realistic and say the chances of something like this would be difficult to initiate, as all of us, whether it be rings, balls, hammers, mattresses, and floats will want to use phthalate plastics.

For it to be economically viable, one would have to keep the marketing of such an operation to both non-looner consumers, as well as looners. As phthalates are now illegal in many regions, this will be a prohibitive stumbling blocks for any means of effective delivery of any product.

But maybe they might be a large enough looner community to support the viability, then in this case such plasticizers could be used as the end user will then be exclusively looners.
Old 13-06-2022, 11:09 PM

heaviest is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Big Thud Joe View Post
will want to use phthalate plastics...now illegal in many regions
I'm not familiar with the materials. I understand phthalates made the vinyl more flexible (soft?), but are phthalates also why we no longer have opaque, shiny vinyl, or did that just go out of style?
Old 13-06-2022, 11:14 PM

fairskies15 is on a distinguished road
Perhaps I'm just daydreaming, but I'd love for Intex to bring back their gray dolphin they discontinued two, maybe three years ago. The vinyl, with its beautiful artwork, is so soft and lovely even when tightly inflated.
Old 14-06-2022, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by heaviest View Post
I'm not familiar with the materials. I understand phthalates made the vinyl more flexible (soft?), but are phthalates also why we no longer have opaque, shiny vinyl, or did that just go out of style?
You noted two interesting points there, yes, correct, phthalates did make the vinyl much softer and stretchier, but this is a completely separate point to the opaque shiny matter.

I feel the shiny glass finish that used to be on many inflatables giving way to frosted / matte surfaces is more of a style thing, and maybe, and most probably more of a materialistic strangthening aspect as well.

I know when browsing the inflatable swim sections at Big W, K Mart and Target over the last three to four summers, many of the items feel like they are made of the kind of canvas that would be used for tarpaulins or tents. It's hard, stiff, and just straight out bloody awful.

The last good buy I had was the summer of 2020/2021 when K Mart had a inflatable swim set. It basically was two large inflatable tubes, about 150cm tall and about 30 cm wide.

It was kind of strange, as there was much discussion on here about folk buying the Shosu roller cylinders for quite expensive prices. When opening one of these KMart swin sets, the tubes were almost the same size, used relatively thin shiny PVC, and from memory were about AU$12.99 a pack.

After buying a pack, experiencing how nice they felt, I finished up purchasing another 12 packs. These are really nice and never fail. This is something that Intex could do if they had the right people to advise them on their product line.

Do get out and travel abit, so one of these is always in my travel pack, they inflate relatively quick with a good hand pump, and are absolutely bliss to get into bed with when naked. But having said that, I'd be curious if these used phthalates, definitely would make for a more immersive experience.

Last edited by Big Thud Joe; 14-06-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 15-06-2022, 05:22 PM
PVC is such a turn-on!

PVC Vinyl Enthusiast is on a distinguished road
Speaking of phthalate plasticisers, which make the vinyl/PVC sensually smooth, soft, rubbery and tactile: high molecular weight phthalates, such as DINP or DIDP, are still permissible in non-food applications. It is an effective PVC plasticiser- I love the soft and pliable PVC raincoats sold by British PVC raincoat manufacturer, PVC-U-Like.

I see no reason why DINP or DIDP cannot be used to soften PVC inflatables intended for use by adults. It is far, far superior to substitutes like epoxidised linseed oil (ELO, ESBO). In this 'post-phalate era', (about 3 years ago) I bought a PVC double inflatable sofa direct from the manufacturer on Alibaba. I was disappointed with the quality: it lacked the lovely softness of the 'Bubble Inflatables' era of bubble furniture (the early 2000s). It also strongly reeked of rancid linseed oil- almost indistinguishable from the odour of an oil painting after the linseed oil has 'cured', or the odour of linseed oil-treated wood. Upon doing some research, I discovered that ELO and ESBO are used as phthalate substitutes. ELO and ESBO do a rubbish job of softening PVC, and their odour is objectionable.

As I say, high molecular weight phthalates like DINP are still allowed in many PVC articles; if DINP can be used to make adult's PVC raincoats soft and supple, then I see no reason why it can't be used likewise in adult's PVC inflatables.
Old 16-06-2022, 12:23 AM

Enthusiast, interesting pointers, I'm currently looking into getting a custom job with a Chinese sourcing place down in Melbourne Australia, but the JinPing Covid City Shutdowns are making me a little reluctant to go a head a present.

I'm wanting to get a life size spiderman like character made and am going to specify them using phthalates. So just to confirm, you noted that DINP or DIDP are the superior plasticizers; are these still modern day substitutes, or are these the original phthalates used back in the 80s? If not, would anyone know what were the plasticizers used back then?