Old 11-06-2022, 10:38 PM

RLMI is on a distinguished road
Default Encountering overinflated balloons in public
How does everyone cope when they come across overinflated balloons in public?

Not sure if it is just coincidental, or if the winter weather causes people to lose control of their exhalation into the balloons, but I've been at two places this weekend where massively overinflated balloons "featured" prominently.

The first was a local cafe which had been decorated with balloons on the walls and out the front, tied in bunches of 4. I never saw any inflating, although I noticed that every balloon was fully necked and absolutely straining. Looked like 10 inchers blown up to about 14, all shiny (for now) and beautifully glassy and transparent. Miraculously there were no pops during my time at the cafe.

The second location was at a shopping centre, where a dance group was doing a mini-concert. Each dancer did their routine on stage holding a balloon. Each and every balloon was also grossly overinflated, and these ones looked like the balloons in the video below. The necks were so big that the dancers held the balloons using the necks like a handle, instead of holding the knot. During the performance, three balloons exploded violently just from being held. They were very very loud and startled everyone.

I wonder why whoever blew up the balloons blew them so huge?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OUi96s0QdmM
Old 12-06-2022, 06:48 AM

zhilman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Encountering overinflated balloons in public
My brother likes to do this when I bought balloons during my children days. He would overinflate till neck developed without prestretching the neck. It does sound scary right? Huhu
Old 12-06-2022, 09:51 AM

Seidenki is on a distinguished road
I've encountered a number of people down through the years who simply believe a balloon isn't fully inflated until it has a decent neck. No idea if they were looners, but I doubt it. These people are also those who expect some balloons to expire spontaneously at any time. "It's just what balloons do." Well, yes, if you blow them all up that far, then yes, they will! :-D
Old 12-06-2022, 08:50 PM

RLMI is on a distinguished road
Yes, for sure, I know quite a few people who believe that a balloon should be blown up till it's filled up all the way, till it's straining against their mouth.

Had many experiences in my childhood where I was surrounded by balloons being necked, sometimes till they burst. I'd say the majority of balloons we blew up during school ended up being tight and necked out, with variable lifespans. We also never prestretched or took any precautions.

We often had to get our parents or other adults to tie them for us.
Old 13-06-2022, 06:22 AM
Looner Skunk

Yanzuh is on a distinguished road
I do see overinflated ones every now and then, mostly at small fast food places or cafes other than that I mostly used to see them at birthday parties or in school, school was probably the worst for it as most of the time when the balloons got a neck and actually survived the other kids would play really roughly with them and then be very confused when they popped
Old 13-06-2022, 11:08 AM

Slugamano is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Encountering overinflated balloons in public
Originally Posted by Seidenki View Post
Well, yes, if you blow them all up that far, then yes, they will! :-D
And I like it
Old 17-06-2022, 11:18 AM

aron_crow is on a distinguished road
I try to hide my anxiety, even though I am fine with the pop, I know it would kind of arouse me a little bit. I have seen mass decorations outside shops and in malls, and most of them are normally inflated.

I think the over-inflation happens only in the ones inflated more "personally". And there would definitely be someone who would like it to either be fully blown up or outright burst at any time, or they may not be familiar with the balloon physics and think that it pops randomly.
Old 17-06-2022, 02:01 PM

AJK64 is on a distinguished road
I had a friend growing up who thought that it was a waste of a balloon to not blow it as tight as possible.

I remember one time in particular. We both had to blow balloons up for my gran at christmas time and he (my friend) kept accidentally over inflating them til they burst trying to get them as tight as possible. He also took the ones I blew up and added a few extra breaths to get mine extra big and tight too. Most of the balloons that survived his inflating technique, spontaneously burst through the day anyway as they were ridiculously tight. I had to blow up a whole new lot for my gran the following day to replace them Haha.
Old 17-06-2022, 02:38 PM

Semipop is on a distinguished road
I always remember an occasion when an uncle of mine inflated some 12" balloons far too tight with their necks obscenely extended. He tied them off and formed a couple of bunches of them for a kids party. Amazingly, they al survived the party and I kept looking at them partially excited by them and partially concerned that they would burst at any moment. Anyway, when the party was over and we'd cleared up, I asked my uncle 'what about those balloons' and he took a hot air dryer from the bathroom, turned it on and applied the hot air to the poor balloons and one-by-one they went of BANG with an amazing explosion of shreds. I think he enjoyed bursting them! Afterwards, I had to go to the bathroom as I needed to burst!