Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaruLooner
    • Oct 2017

Do you think they can hear me?

So I just moved into a complex on a reservation and am living in my own house now. I am very excited now to get some loon play in. The thing is I've always been anxious to pop balloons. I love to pop balloons it's just in my parents' house if they would hear it I would immediately be told off (parents found out about my fetish at an early stage and it didn't go down well). So I have some anxieties now. I've forced myself to do some popping and I haven't got any complaints, but it's still at the back of my mind. So I decided to ask for help. What do you think? The walls are are thick and I can't hear anything from anyone else's house. I'm staying at the very end of the complex with only one neighbour (the house is about 10 meters away) and the other houses are about 50 meters away. Should I be anxious that someone will hear me and complain or am I just stuck in my past anxieties and I should get over it? Thank you for taking the time to read this and give your advice.
  • srob2
    • Dec 2017

Re: Do you think they can hear me?

When I first moved in, I played music at 100db and went around the house to see how far I could hear it. It was barely audible close to my house, and not at all at the edge of my yard. I think the material of the walls makes a bigger difference than distance to neighbors.

I'd be more worried about reporting gunshots than noise complaints.

Comment

• SusieDK
      • Dec 2017

Hi,

I live in a House much closer to our neigbours than 50 m - I would say less than 20 m, and nobody ever said anything. However when I pop balloons in our bedroom which is on the first floor facing the (relatively quiet) street about 15 m away people walking by will turn their heads shortly. I interpret this so that they hear the bang, but that it does not really attract their attention - probably due to it being just a bang that is over in an instant. Also it is close to impossible to pinpoint where the bang came from.
      So I would say that your neighbours probably can hear it when you pop a balloon, but that they aren’t likely to pay attention to it. It may However be different if you pop several balloons in rapid succession....

I hope the above will be of use to you.

Sincerely
      Susie

Comment

• BusterBill
        Founder, Balloon Buddies
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by MaruLooner
        So I just moved into a complex on a reservation and am living in my own house now. I am very excited now to get some loon play in. The thing is I've always been anxious to pop balloons. I love to pop balloons it's just in my parents' house if they would hear it I would immediately be told off (parents found out about my fetish at an early stage and it didn't go down well). So I have some anxieties now. I've forced myself to do some popping and I haven't got any complaints, but it's still at the back of my mind. So I decided to ask for help. What do you think? The walls are are thick and I can't hear anything from anyone else's house. I'm staying at the very end of the complex with only one neighbour (the house is about 10 meters away) and the other houses are about 50 meters away. Should I be anxious that someone will hear me and complain or am I just stuck in my past anxieties and I should get over it? Thank you for taking the time to read this and give your advice.
        I lived in a house that was even closer to my neighbors and they never heard a thing despite the frequent popping. I knew my neighbors quite well enough to know that they would have questioned me if they heard any noise, but the subject never came up. I think you're quite safe in proceeding to have as much fun as you wish without any fear of disturbing anyone. Of course I'd recommend that you keep the windows and exterior doors closed while popping.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
          Banned
          • Dec 2018

Generally-speaking, as long as you don't have all the windows-open in your room where the popping is occurring, and don't do lots and lots of popping, then you should be okay.

But the best bet is to do a few small tests, and then give it a day or two, to see if anyone hears anything and reports back to you.

Then try a few more test pops, and see what happens. You'll soon find-out if the neighbours see/hear anything!

Just don't do a huge mass-pop, that sounds like a gun going off, or that could get you into major trouble.

Comment

• Meililoon
            aka lyckr
            • Sep 2014

When I got my own place, I tested this a few times by taping used 16" Uniques to my electric pump in my bedroom (which is right next to the front door), turn it on and run outside, closing the doors behind me. I could easily hear the pump going when standing near the front door, but that sounds practically the same as a vacuum cleaner, so not really an issue. When the balloons popped, I could hear that quite well standing in the front yard, but I don't think any neighbors would be able to hear it, unless they're outside and it's quiet at the time.

Comment

• wildheart
              • Apr 2015

You could also play loud music to cover the bangs. At least that’ll be easier to explain if the neighbors do complain.
              How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
              My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Sl33juhrLooner
                • Jan 2019

Think there is only one way to find out isn't there?

I do like the suggestion though of lyckr, just try one with a pump or anything while you are standing outside. Just so you know what anybody would hear. And if your neighbours do hear it and ask questions, there is always the cleaning up after a party.

To be honest, I don't believe they will hear it that much, I am living in a row of 7 houses, and I do pop balloons from time to time, but in the 2 years that I have lived here now, nobody ever asked what that noise was.

So have fun, lighten up and pop some balloons.

Comment

• Meililoon
                  aka lyckr
                  • Sep 2014

Yes, I don't think people usually will give it much thought, but I feel your paranoia I try to only pop balloon after dark, as my closest neighbors spends a lot of time in their garden and anyone randomly coming to my door would definitely be able to hear them go bang.

Comment

• MaruLooner
                    • Oct 2017

Thank you for all the advice!

I really appreciate all the help from the community. I will try and do a blow to pop and see if there is any response. I have popped a few balloons and there has been no response, so my anxiousness has dropped. Can't wait for lots of amazing loon times.

Comment

• craggy2012
                      • Jan 2012

Just go take a big loon n blow it big n tight!

It’s not the bang when it gives out, it’s all the squeaks n squeals as it protests beneath you

Comment

• gerbil366@outlook.com
                        • Dec 2020

I still live with my dad but still blow up my balloons at night time when dad has gone to bed, they do burst sometimes and don’t get asked about the bangs anymore, so just carry on enjoying bursting your balloons

Comment

• zman21
                          • Jun 2022

I know that this is an old thread, but I´d like to dig it up again.

Recently I also have the opportunity to use a house for looning. The neighboring house and also the neighboring garden are less than 15 meters away from the house.

Since I'd like to slowly get back to the b2p topic, I'm also a little worried that the neighbors might hear something. The windows aren't the newest and you can hear the chirping of birds in the living room when the windows are closed, for example.

Today I did an interesting (and exciting) test. I put a compressor in the living room and attached a Unique16 to it. Then I opened the valve a bit so that the balloon could slowly fill up and I could "escape" to the garden. That way I could hear and judge the loudness of the bang in the garden.

I was surprised how loud the bang could be heard outside. But at the same time it was pretty dull (is that the correct word?!? ). I think it is very difficult for the neighbors to see where the noise is coming from and what it actually is.

A little concern remains, but I think it's okay if it just pops every once in a while.

PS: Who of you would have liked to be in the living room while the balloon slowly got bigger and bigger? I think I would have chickened out

Comment

• q16popper
                            • Jun 2022

160dB at what distance? The sound level dies off as the square of the distance plus anything in the way reduces it more

I've never had a problem, and if anyone asks say you were just getting rid of a few balloons from a party - who knows, they might even come and help!

Comment

• zman21
                              • Jun 2022

You're right! I think it will be impossible to completely seal off the sound. If the neighbors are far enough away, that won't be a problem.

I did another test today and I'm a little worried... It's quite loud and you can hear it quite clearly in the garden. My neighbours sometimes are only a few meters away... especially on hot summer days like today.

To be honest, I'm pretty unsure if this is the right looner place for me. But it's also the only one I have, so I'll have to live with it...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎