Old 25-09-2021, 01:42 AM

Merl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Replasticizing hop balls
Pink version of the 4 handled British hopper arrived today. Out of the box reaches its rated 19" circumference and 20" high at the seat with the same springy bounce. But as it's in better condition than the orange one that popped on its own, I'm going to take a lot more time stretching this one (I now know where the weakness is).

It's been dosed inside and out and will heat soak, inflated to just rounding it out, for a couple weeks before I try anything with it.
Old 26-09-2021, 01:43 PM

Changed my mind. I'm learning to appreciate the egg shape over the usual sphere. It's now 21" circumference and 24" high at the seat. It's got the firm bounce I like but still plenty flexible. The added height vs width makes it a little less stable and more tricky to ride that a HH or SH, but that makes it fun. Orange is the first one that popped.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg 20210926_093541_resized_50_percent.jpg (79.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20210727_183345.jpg (585.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 18-10-2021, 10:03 PM

The four handled balls are great because they are thinly molded compared with HH and SH, making them unusually bouncy and fun to ride, but which is also the problem when they age. This one popped as well. Lesson learned: ATBC will weaken ANY existing weak point (even surface scratches) causing them to rupture when inflated.

The more rugged HH soaked up plasticizer for over a month. It's now a solid 24" high and around with just the right combo of stiffness and bounce...not at all the unsatisfying "slightly underinflated balloon" flabby feel like cheap modern hoppers and gymballs have, but substantial and very resilient. Comparable to the Great Space Hopper but just a hair bigger now.

Last edited by Merl; 18-10-2021 at 10:10 PM.
Old 18-10-2021, 11:41 PM

Unicks is on a distinguished road
Hey Merl - Where are you getting your ATBC from? Reason I ask is because it seems you are getting the results of solvents or something similar.

I have the CanDo 105cm blue ball still, it's been deflated a couple times and remains just as tough as the day I first inflated it... it's much softer, even more so over the last couple months -but I've attributed it to use. Fully inflated, it's about as firm as a balloon is when at it's rated size.. not alot of having to fight and find the sweet spot when sitting on it, so the elasticity is definitely better.

U
Old 19-10-2021, 12:31 AM

Sculpey! I think it's the lighter formulation used in those particular balls, which are thinner walled than the HH. I suspect they were a cheaper, knock off competitor, which explains the consumer complaints they received.

I did get the same self-destruct some weeks ago from the original red HH. It was well used and had gouges in it that held up to bouncing before adding ATBC. Within days the gouges developed pinholes that could not be patched. But my current HH and GSH, both unscratched, are holding up just fine.

Last edited by Merl; 19-10-2021 at 12:43 AM.