Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lgcm
    • Aug 2021

Necking balloons?

Does necking a balloon cause it to become more fragile?

I'm a semi-popper and love to see a neck when I ride... I'd just like to know if this means the balloon is at a higher risk of bursting

Or any prevention tips for popping, I know a balloon will always be unpredictable, but I don't get aroused from the pop unfortunately.

Thanks

Re: Necking balloons?

Hello! I am a non popper but I just love balloon necks, specially if it is big and tight.
    Now, I sincerely think that overinflation cause latex weakness but I also think that is part of the game.
    One advice is not inflate a lot big balloons like cattex 36 long neck and than ride hard on them to have a big and safe neck

Comment

• Asclepio
      • Sep 2018

Usually a neck on a balloon means it is overinflated, so it is not that the balloon is weaker, it just just more air pressure against the latex so it can pop easier since the balloon is holding a lot more pressure than the let’s say this way “Normal” inflation.
      Unless the balloon is designed for necking (like the cattex longnecks) a necked balloon is closer to pop than a non necked one.
      A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• Meililoon
        aka lyckr
        • Sep 2014

If you just want the neck to appear when riding the balloon and don't care if it's there when you're not sitting on it, just tie the knot or put on the clip as close to the mouthpiece as possible. That way you make room for air to be pushed into the neck from the body when you apply pressure to it.

Comment

• Lgcm
          • Aug 2021

Originally posted by Teabag
          Hello! I am a non popper but I just love balloon necks, specially if it is big and tight.
          Now, I sincerely think that overinflation cause latex weakness but I also think that is part of the game.
          One advice is not inflate a lot big balloons like cattex 36 long neck and than ride hard on them to have a big and safe neck
          Thank you this is a really great tip. As a non-popper, what are the best durable balloons that you know of? i prefer them larger, but would love your opinion

Comment

• Lgcm
            • Aug 2021

Originally posted by lyckr
            If you just want the neck to appear when riding the balloon and don't care if it's there when you're not sitting on it, just tie the knot or put on the clip as close to the mouthpiece as possible. That way you make room for air to be pushed into the neck from the body when you apply pressure to it.
            Thank you this is great advice!

Comment

• Common Loon
              • Aug 2020

Great questions! Whether necking a balloon weakens it really depends on how the balloon was necked...

After all, the neck of a round balloon is really a safety valve. It's a place for the air to go when the pressure inside the body of the balloon gets too high that the body can't stretch further to accommodate it. If you're just blowing up a balloon without any special technique or pre-stretching, having a neck appear doesn't mean the balloon is weakened -- to the contrary it means that the body of the balloon is strong enough to withstand enough pressure to sustain the (much smaller in diameter) neck inflation.

On the other hand, if you neck a balloon by bouncing hard on it then sometimes the neck can weaken. Especially right at the end by the knot, if it develops a bowling pin-like bulge that's wider than the rest of the neck, this can be the weakest part of the balloon if you continue bouncing on it. After all, since balloons are dipped upside down, the latex on the neck is always a tiny bit thinner than the rest of the balloon, and the stresses of hard bouncing will focus right at the knot where the latex is gathered together.

Comment

• Lgcm
                • Aug 2021

Originally posted by Common Loon
                Great questions! Whether necking a balloon weakens it really depends on how the balloon was necked...

After all, the neck of a round balloon is really a safety valve. It's a place for the air to go when the pressure inside the body of the balloon gets too high that the body can't stretch further to accommodate it. If you're just blowing up a balloon without any special technique or pre-stretching, having a neck appear doesn't mean the balloon is weakened -- to the contrary it means that the body of the balloon is strong enough to withstand enough pressure to sustain the (much smaller in diameter) neck inflation.

On the other hand, if you neck a balloon by bouncing hard on it then sometimes the neck can weaken. Especially right at the end by the knot, if it develops a bowling pin-like bulge that's wider than the rest of the neck, this can be the weakest part of the balloon if you continue bouncing on it. After all, since balloons are dipped upside down, the latex on the neck is always a tiny bit thinner than the rest of the balloon, and the stresses of hard bouncing will focus right at the knot where the latex is gathered together.
                This is a fantastic insight! thank you very much

Comment

I love large balloons as well, for a great neck I love cattex 36 long neck, but the absolute best for me are q24 if you can find any, the were absolutely the best for me

Comment

• Lgcm
                    • Aug 2021

Originally posted by Teabag
                    I love large balloons as well, for a great neck I love cattex 36 long neck, but the absolute best for me are q24 if you can find any, the were absolutely the best for me
                    The mystical q24... I am late to the balloon game and have heard they were incredible, many people's favourites.

I definitely missed out by the sounds of things.

But thank you for the longneck suggestion! I purchased 2 yesterday, so I'll be trying them out very soon

Comment

• Asclepio
                      • Sep 2018

The q24 balloons were good, but not that much either. It was a special balloon because of its big neck, but nothing that a longneck cattex can't cover perfectly. You didn't miss much, don't worry.
                      A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• Meililoon
                        aka lyckr
                        • Sep 2014

I think the charm of the Q24 for me is that it has a huge "real" neck, while the Cattex longneck have an artificial neck, as it's especially shaped to have the neck inflate without overinflating it. The latex of Qualatex also feels a lot smoother than the big Cattex balloons.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
                          • May 2020

I still prefer the Q24 over the Cattex long necks. For me the Cattex are too big once they get firm with a full neck. I also prefer the roundness of the Q24 over the flat paddle of the Cattex. Going to have to blow up a couple Q24's next week...

Comment

• FunLooner
                            • Dec 2019

If your interested I still have some Q24s that I can part with

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎