Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Punchballer
    • Jan 2022

Who Remember These kind Of Punch Balls?

Just wanted to share a photo from an old article online about the history of the Frontier Village amusement park that was in San Jose, California from 1961 to 1980. https://photos.app.goo.gl/dyojjGnuBq7cppiy5They sold balloons and punch balls there. This photo looks to be in the mid 1970's when these punch balls were very popular. My favorite brand were the ones produced during the '60's and early seventies. However when I started as an adult acting on my balloon fetish these same kind of punch balls I used in the early eighties. I later went back to my earlier brand but now the rubber was not as thick. I went back to these shown here after the company closed down in the nineties. I still use this type today but recently they have stopped producing them.
    Last edited by Punchballer; 10-08-2022, 01:54. Reason: improper URL
  • SweetBouncer
    • Mar 2020

Re: Who Remember These kind Of Punch Balls?

The mold is fluted, with at least 8 flutes, I can't see the neck but the form of it to be rolled like that should be the standard tubed ball for punch balloons, simply tube-ball/round thicker cilinder-tube. Inflated rate at around 18" inches. They look thick and opaque so i'll say triple dipped.

I cant see if they have knob or ring for securing the rubber band, but being older and possibly from America, they should use knob instead of ring.

Any other details to add?

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
      • Apr 2022

I wonder if these are a form of Pioneer/Qualatex. From 1973. Based on the green and dark blue. God I wish that design still existed!

Comment

• Punchballer
        • Jan 2022

I'm almost certain these are the National Latex/Bluebird (Later Pioneer) brand punch balls. They have the knob at the end of them and the neck is a straight tube that is rolled into the ball. Size I would say 18".

Comment

• balloonPatcher
          • Jun 2020

I am going from memory. I used to get ones very similar from Woolworth. They were 1 puff or about 1.5L in size and on first inflation they would be about 40 puffs or 60L -about 20". They were the loop with the roll in inflation nozzle. With repeated inflation they would inflate to about 80 puffs or 120L - about 25". I would get the occasional one to 100 puffs before they would spontaneously burst - never did a B2P. The current cattex punch balls are 18" but I can rarely get them over 50 puffs before spontaneously bursting. The cattex punch balloons are 9 grams. I have a 1977 punch balloon 14-18" rating that weighs 30 grams. It is not inflatable.

Comment

• Punchballer
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by balloonPatcher
            I am going from memory. I used to get ones very similar from Woolworth. They were 1 puff or about 1.5L in size and on first inflation they would be about 40 puffs or 60L -about 20". They were the loop with the roll in inflation nozzle. With repeated inflation they would inflate to about 80 puffs or 120L - about 25". I would get the occasional one to 100 puffs before they would spontaneously burst - never did a B2P. The current cattex punch balls are 18" but I can rarely get them over 50 puffs before spontaneously bursting. The cattex punch balloons are 9 grams. I have a 1977 punch balloon 14-18" rating that weighs 30 grams. It is not inflatable.
            Sounds like the earlier punch balls from the Oak Rubber Co which sold them in Kresge and Woolworth stores till the mid to late seventies. My first punch ball was of that brand. They were patented as "Punch-O-Ball. Oak Rubber later went out of business by the mid nineties.

Comment

• SweetBouncer
              • Mar 2020

Okay I have made a cool little table using the avaible data the results are as shown here: Size = Diameter
              Inf Size|Finished Weigth|Def Size
              45 inches ---- 75 grams ----- 7.5 inches
              36 inches ---- 60 grams ----- 6 inches
              24 inches ---- 40 grams ----- 4 inches
              18 inches ---- 30 grams ----- 3 inches
              12 inches ---- 20 grams ----- 2 inches
              06 inches ---- 10 grams ----- 1 inch
              03 inches ---- 05 grams ----- 1/2 inch
              The inflated size is the standard, without overinflation. And the deflated size is extrapolated from an elongation of the latex in 600%.

With this should be easy to model your ideal ballons, although of the standard shape, or punch balloons.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎