Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 7balloon
    • Dec 2018

WE HAVE A HOBBY! by definition

So I looked up the word hobby in the OED and this is one of the definitions.

5. A favourite occupation or topic, pursued merely for the amusement or interest that it affords, and which is compared to the riding of a toy horse (sense 3); an individual pursuit to which a person is devoted (in the speaker's opinion) out of proportion to its real importance. Formerly hobby-horse n. (sense 6).

Well fuck all if that ain't balloons to me!

I have a balloon hobby!!!!
  • BalloonFun
    • Apr 2022

Re: WE HAVE A HOBBY! by definition

Originally posted by 7balloon
    So I looked up the word hobby in the OED and this is one of the definitions.

5. A favourite occupation or topic, pursued merely for the amusement or interest that it affords, and which is compared to the riding of a toy horse (sense 3); an individual pursuit to which a person is devoted (in the speaker's opinion) out of proportion to its real importance. Formerly hobby-horse n. (sense 6).

Well fuck all if that ain't balloons to me!

I have a balloon hobby!!!!
    Well, I can add "balloon hobby" to my being a "hi-fi enthusiast"!! Hope that makes me more interesting and less boring!

Comment

• AJK64
      • Jun 2018

Nah mate, it's a fetish for me. I get a sexual pleasure from balloons. I dont get a sexual thrill from any of my other hobbies and sex itself isn't a hobby.

Comment

• Dust of the Saturn
        Stretched like space-time
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by AJK64
        Nah mate, it's a fetish for me. I get a sexual pleasure from balloons. I dont get a sexual thrill from any of my other hobbies and sex itself isn't a hobby.
        It can be both. Some looners out there are trying to replicate the Q24 and some are into the balloon manufacturing business. So it can be a hobby too.

Also, learning how to make balloon columns or arches and trying different brands and stuff even if it is sexual still makes it a hobby.
        And I ask myself, why? and all I hear is the cold, dead silence of the cosmos.

Comment

• Late.X
          • Jun 2022

Tried to fool myself this was a 'hobby' for years. Now it seems it was after all!

Comment

• BalloonFun
            • Apr 2022

Originally posted by BalloonFun
            Well, I can add "balloon hobby" to my being a "hi-fi enthusiast"!! Hope that makes me more interesting and less boring!
            Well, realistically balloons are a fun and sexually arousing and pleasurable thing for me. True, none of my other interests and hobbies can be sexual for me. I do sometimes wish that I could design a new logo or two onto a balloon someday, but that's a whole other thread. Logo designing for balloons could be considered somewhat of a hobby.

Comment

• loonlun
              • Mar 2021

Maybe, but I don't literally come on my woodworking projects a few times a week.

Comment

• Ballooner99
                • Jan 2016

I agree with @loonlun here. I have many hobbies but none of them bring sexual excitement for me. I think that is a line between a hobby and a fetish, albeit many others. My hobbies are gardening, Astrophotography, weather and running a salt water aquarium, but balloons fall in another column. They bring amusement and excitement but has that extra element that pushes it out of the hobby category for me. For instance, I openly talk to people about my hobbies in person but won’t talk about my balloon fetish outside the cyber community.

Comment

• Ballooner99
                  • Jan 2016

What we truly have is what the DSM-5 diagnosis manual calles Fetishistic Disorder under 302.31. Personally, while I recognize the differential diagnosis as true for many of us looners we are still highly functioning. We don’t see the object of a balloon as a hobby but a sexual object. It’s been something I have been reading up on trying to understand how fetishes occur and what they mean.

Comment

• fastlooner
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Ballooner99
                    What we truly have is what the DSM-5 diagnosis manual calles Fetishistic Disorder under 302.31. Personally, while I recognize the differential diagnosis as true for many of us looners we are still highly functioning. We don’t see the object of a balloon as a hobby but a sexual object. It’s been something I have been reading up on trying to understand how fetishes occur and what they mean.
                    Hey just a quick note that having a balloon fetish doesn't automatically mean you have fetishistic disorder. Having fetishistic disorder means having a fetish that causes significant distress and impairment. While that might apply to some people it won't apply to everyone.

Here's a quote from the DSM-5 (page 701)
                    "Many individuals who self-identify as fetishist practitioners do not necessarily report clinical impairment in association with their fetish-associated behaviors. Such individuals could be considered as having a fetish but not fetishistic disorder. A diagnosis of fetishistic disorder requires concurrent fulfillment of both the behaviors in Criterion A and the clinically significant distress or impairment in functioning noted in Criterion B."

Comment

• AJK64
                      • Jun 2018

Yeah, a fetish only becomes a disorder when you cant function sexually without the object of the fetish. Most looners have a normal sex life with balloons just being something we use to spice things up occasionally.

Comment

• Ballooner99
                        • Jan 2016

I agree, as long as it doesn’t impact the everyday lifestyle of the individual it’s considered as no intervention needed. It is definitely based on levels of severity. Least severe being an normally operating individual who is sexually attracted to an object (balloon). It’s just my understanding of the manual…there are many ways to approach the diagnosis from what I’ve read, but you are right, it’s not a disorder in the sense that intervention is needed, basically would classify as no diagnosis, however the underlying sexual attraction is still there.

I’m not saying this as derogatory or trying to Demean anyone as I have the fetish. I just spent a lot of time when younger trying to understand what fetishes mean before meeting this group.

Comment

• Tracy
                          • May 2018

In the roughly 25 (!!!) years that I have been active in balloon fetish communities on the internet, it still never ceases to amaze me how many attempts I see to draw away attention from the sexual aspect of our collective "interest" in balloons. I can't think of another community that so regularly and implicitly kink-shames itself.

Comment

• Ballooner99
                            • Jan 2016

I think that is why I have most problems with this post. I am sure I am poorly portraying my idea here, but a fetish in itself, especially ours is sexual. It doesn’t matter what you call it but to say it’s a hobby rather than a sexual fetish is just an attempt of playing words. I was trying to use the DSM to state that the fetish by definition is a sexual arousal that stems from objects (in our case) meaning that it’s a fetish by definition. It is defined as such and a diagnosis here can be made to state such. I don’t understand why we want to call it anything else by a sexual fetish derived by balloons.

Comment

• Ballooner99
                              • Jan 2016

This is not an attempt to kink shame. I don’t feel any shame at all by the fetish. I am in fact writing this message while laying on a balloon. If it comes off as kink shaming, I apologize as that is not my intention.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎