What restaurant/store balloons do you miss the most?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicci
    Blown to bits
    • Oct 2009

Re: What restaurant/store balloons do you miss the most?

Burger King in the early 2000's - mainly because in my local one, there was a girl who used to inflate them with massive necks (talking about a 12" long neck on a 12" balloon). No idea what brand they were, but they never lasted long when she put them on the tree before randomly exploding. She just didn't seem to link them constantly exploding with how much she was inflating them.

I managed to get a handful of them from her, but they didn't last long they were strangely very very squeaky
    Vicci x

Comment

• BalloonFun
      • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Vicci
      Burger King in the early 2000's - mainly because in my local one, there was a girl who used to inflate them with massive necks (talking about a 12" long neck on a 12" balloon). No idea what brand they were, but they never lasted long when she put them on the tree before randomly exploding. She just didn't seem to link them constantly exploding with how much she was inflating them.

I managed to get a handful of them from her, but they didn't last long they were strangely very very squeaky
      Sounds quite dreamy!!

Comment

• RLMI
        • Jul 2021

That made me recall various giveaways at shopping centres where balloons filled with air would be handed out. Sometimes they would just be tied off, with no string nor stick. So the recipient had to hold them, either by the knot, or in many cases, the neck had filled up, so you could it by the neck like a handle.

Comment

• PBK
          • Mar 2019

Another vote for the Toys R Us balloons. When I was a kid they seemed like they were a 20" and always inflated fully with bulging necks!
          I miss the balloons McDonalds gave away right up until Covid hit. They were never tied just looped around a stick so I'd deflate them and blow them up much bigger later. I had a pretty good collection of them.

Comment

• RLMI
            • Jul 2021

I love the Toys R Us balloons too. Fondly remember them since my youth till now.

In Australia, they were blown up to varying tightness at Toys R Us. Usually they were merely "round", and sometimes teardrop shaped. A few times they were blown up tight with beginnings of a neck, but I have never seen Toys R Us balloons getting fully necked up.

Once I saw the staff mouth inflate the balloons till the neck began to form, before putting them on a stick and tying them off with a clip. Amazing how they didn't use the pump!

Comment

• BalloonFun
              • Apr 2022

Originally posted by RLMI
              I love the Toys R Us balloons too. Fondly remember them since my youth till now.

In Australia, they were blown up to varying tightness at Toys R Us. Usually they were merely "round", and sometimes teardrop shaped. A few times they were blown up tight with beginnings of a neck, but I have never seen Toys R Us balloons getting fully necked up.

Once I saw the staff mouth inflate the balloons till the neck began to form, before putting them on a stick and tying them off with a clip. Amazing how they didn't use the pump!
              Here in the States, in the early-mid '90s, they used an electric pump to inflate the round ones. The sound of the pump, when I used to work there, got me a little bit excited!

Comment

• TheMole
                • Nov 2019

There's a regional chain of pizza places (name redacted for privacy, but if you've been to Delaware or Maryland beaches, you may know what i'm talking about) that used to hand out amazing helium balloons with their logo on them. There were definitely some kind of 12" and they were always blown up with helium by the (usually pretty attractive) woman at the front counter where you would check out. I used to go there a lot as a kid/teenager and a few of the girls got pretty good at stretching the neck out big without popping the balloons which was nice to see

Comment

• Casey88
                  lukmanrewa
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by TheMole
                  There's a regional chain of pizza places (name redacted for privacy, but if you've been to Delaware or Maryland beaches, you may know what i'm talking about) that used to hand out amazing helium balloons with their logo on them. There were definitely some kind of 12" and they were always blown up with helium by the (usually pretty attractive) woman at the front counter where you would check out. I used to go there a lot as a kid/teenager and a few of the girls got pretty good at stretching the neck out big without popping the balloons which was nice to see

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
                    • Apr 2022

Ugh that pisses me off that people have to be such pansies now. I get it, I really do. But there are FAR WORSE things that end up in the oceans. I would’ve kept the balloons and maybe, I don’t know, put them on sticks or something?

Comment

• ArchibaldR
                      • May 2021

Originally posted by Blueballoondude89
                      Ugh that pisses me off that people have to be such pansies now. I get it, I really do. But there are FAR WORSE things that end up in the oceans. I would’ve kept the balloons and maybe, I don’t know, put them on sticks or something?
                      Well the sticks seem to also be a problem because they are made out of plastic. But see it this way: I really think that if stores would just hand out empty balloons for kids (or people like us ) so they can blow them up by them self, it would be a hell of a lot better than giving away inflated balloons. Inflated balloons tend to fly away or get lost when kids are playing with them. When they first need to inflate them, they might wait until they're home. At least that was what i always did when i got empty balloons when i was younger. I waited at least until i was in the car until i started inflating.

As you said, i acknowledge that there is a problem and that we need to save the enviroment. That's why i support the banning of things like helium balloon releases and stuff like that. But a simple balloon from a restaurant or store, come on man.........

Comment

• Vicci
                        Blown to bits
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ArchibaldR
                        Well the sticks seem to also be a problem because they are made out of plastic.
                        The ones from McDonalds are made from cardboard - no reason others couldn't follow
                        Vicci x

Comment

• Scooter
                          • May 2022

Originally posted by ArchibaldR
                          As you said, i acknowledge that there is a problem and that we need to save the enviroment. That's why i support the banning of things like helium balloon releases and stuff like that. But a simple balloon from a restaurant or store, come on man.........
                          I take the opposite side. I would prefer places continue to use them to decorate, but NOT hand them out to kids at all. Most kids ARE going to play with them right when they receive them, and most aren't going to be... safe with them at all. A couple of good quality balloons for decoration, out of reach from any grubby mitts and I'd be a happy camper.

Comment

• Seidenki
                            • Dec 2016

The Toys'R'Us balloons have been mentioned a few times. The ones in the Aussie stores were definitely 16" or so, and it was possible to buy them uninflated. Never recognised the brand they used for many years; I don't think it was Qualatex, though, nor Unique nor TufTex. However, they did change the print a few years before they left Australia and the replacements were definitely Qualatex.

Comment

• Punchballer
                              • Jan 2022

I miss S.S. Kresege for selling and displaying inflated punch balls. Especially during the sixties and seventies. Woolworth's too. Meijer stores at one time had a section for kids called, Purple Cow where a variety of dairy treats and punch balls were sold back in the eighties and into the mid nineties before closing it down and renovating the entire section. Circus World, K-Bee Toy and Hobby used to sell the punch balls I enjoyed too.

Comment

• kahuna09
                                • Jul 2013

i used to love to go to this pizza place i would always order take out pizza and when i was checking out i would always ask the girl that is ringing me up if i could have and hand full of un inflated balloons for my kids at home. they were always like sure hold on let me grab you some and them come back with a huge hand full little did they know i didnt have any kids and they were for me. not the best balloons but i am a sucker for logo printed balloons.

Originally posted by TheMole

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎