X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoonerHoax
    • May 2020

Re: Theory about the downfall of Qualatex

Originally posted by izzyrob
    I think that a large part of it is the industry’s shift from helium being the standard for balloon decorating into the new world of garlands and elaborate air-filled designs. So many of the Q16 prints that have gone away are likely just because those prints don’t play well with being included in garlands which tend to be focused more on pure color than prints. Knowing that many decorators are moving away from helium as their default, I’m sure qualatex is adjusting their product line accordingly.

Additionally, did anyone ever see a Q24 used by a decorator? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture of a Q24 inflated that WASNT by a looner. Would be genuinely curious if anyone has examples.
    About 16 years ago, I was working for an entertainment company that provided high end cover bands for any occasion you could think of. We were doing a birthday party at this small community rec room and there was a Q36 happy birthday print as well as a few white Q24's all helium filled. I was loading the truck and the person in charge asked me to make sure I closed all the doors when I left. Beings I was the only one around, the Q24's ended up in the back of the truck and went home with me.

Comment

• Scooter
      • May 2022

On one hand I'm a little glad that I don't really have to worry about running into random balloons as much as I used to, since I was always anxious as a kid that one would burst, particularly in crowded places like the mall.

But on the other hand now that I'm older and can more easily deal with them... I'm a little sad I won't be able to run into random balloons as much as I used to.

Ah, the duality of man.

I think it's a little too doom and gloom to think balloons might entirely go away, especially so soon. But all the more reason to lend our support to these brands though, right?

Comment

• john1bl
        • Jan 2014

I think the fall of Qualitex is because thay got what they wanted and got arrogant!! They worked the make the definition of a latex balloon "11 inches heilun filled and may be a Disney print". This worked for a long time... Great but it is a big problem right now. Disney has abandon the preteen girl market and the cost of helium is prohibitive for even decorators to use. I seen when the Q24 was killed there where other companies jumped in and filled the void.

Comment

• IILoonerII
          Banned
          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Blown2Bits
          Well this is a balloon forum, so I was using it as an example where everyone here can relate.
          Property won't get abolished, but it will be concentrated more and more at the super rich. People are already renting more and more (also increasingly smaller appartments) because they cannot afford building their own houses anymore. And politicians want to get rid of private transport in favor of public transport.

You are right, people really need to wake up before it’s too late. Thankfully, people are starting to. It’s time to realize that “The Powers To Be” are looking to take advantage of us and control us every step of the way. It’s getting very difficult to not see this… with how everything is going.

Comment

• andrew_looner
            • Feb 2019

Just my 2 cents, I think latex balloons will be here to stay - there are a lot of vids of decorators putting up balloon garlands, on Instagram. Also, manufacturers such as Cattex and Gemar have released new colour palettes aimed specifically at them, ranging from 5" up to 24". Lastly, on Aliexpress, there are lots of big balloons (18", 24") for sale, whose quality is pretty good (not your average thin Chinese balloon).

These things have been happening ever since the pandemic began.

However, what makes Qualatex stand out from other manufacturers imho is that they have jewel tones for all sizes and shapes (e.g. round, heart, geo and modelling balloons) - this is something I haven't seen in European/Chinese manufacturers, so far.

Comment

• TL39
              • Sep 2021

A little late, but I used to work in events management where I would help set up events. This often involves balloons of some sort, and my opinion on the discontinuation of certain products is that these are primarily due to profit and loss assessments.

Q24s were never a big seller outside of very niche occasions like Christmas or Chinese New Year, and even then the amount of those balloons we would sell was easily dwarfed by everything else. What we liked about them made them highly unsable for us decorators. The shape did not lend itself readily for a lot of balloon sculptures or decorative designs. It was too "pear shaped" to be easily placed on top oif columns, and too big to have some1 just carry it around like u typically see with its much smaller cousin, the Q16 or even Q12s.

For us, if we used them as decorations, they had to serve as the centerpiece in almost all situations, and mostly as helium based decorations. This made them expensive to sell to end users, because they took up A LOT of helium. Volumes were low, even despite PBC trying its damnest to push the product and innovate with it. I know some of u here think they just up and abandoned it, but at least in Asia where I live, PBC Asia was really trying to make it work. I attended more than a few workshops where they taught us how to incorporate the Q24 into new designs or use new prints that they made. But it was just not enough, even when they tried to cut back on printing costs by updating the old prints like the stars.

So it was only a matter of time before PBC took a hard look at its efforts and concluded that the market for Q24s just wasn't that big enough for it. Sure, some of u will point to the new Roomtex 24 as being evidence of a market for a 24 inch balloon that is pear shaped and had a fantastic neck, but PBC is a large company with large factories that have need high volumes to work economically. At some point they would've realised that instead of wasting factory space on an extremely low volume product, why not switch the assembly to something else? Or shut production line down entirely and consolidate their supply chain?

Its very unfortunate for us, but I cannot blame them for what they do, and I don't believe they did it out of spite for our community either. We're just not big enough of a market for them to service.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎