Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blueballoondude89
    • Apr 2022

Balloons in the background of tv episodes or movies

God, I LOVE when episodes of sitcoms go all out and have tons of helium balloons in the background of whatever’s going on. And a lot of times, because they do a multiple takes, the balloons keep changing arrangement for some reason. SO ANNOYING.

On a couple of shows from maybe 10 years ago, all they used were generic 9 inch Balloon Time balloons for a carnival scene, with the white ribbon. So boring. When maybe 25-30, it was Qualatex. Or at least use some larger balloons and pick 3 colors! With red ribbon or something.

There was this episode of Malcolm in the Middle where there was some big school fundraiser and they kept talking about the “Balloon Budget.” In the gym there thousands of jewel toned Qualatex balloons lol. Everybody there kept commenting on all the balloons. There was another about a neighborhood block party and there were also thousands of Qualatex and Tuftex balloons.

Family Matters did an episode in 1992 and the gym was decorated with tons of Qualatex balloons, for a school fundraising carnival. Then later on in the same episode, they had a Sadie Hawkins dance in the gym. This time decorated with pink and light blue. So many balloons! I love it! In the same season there was a Homecoming dance with red and white balloons but they didn’t seem to be Qualatex. They didn’t have that “drip” on top, more like the generic round circle like Uniques. But some of them looked like 16 inches. There was also one where Carl Winslow was inflating a 3 ft balloon for Little Richie but I couldn’t tell what brand it was. Tuftex? In the Urkel Dance episode, there’s balloons at the party too. I can’t tell which brand but I’m leaning towards Qtex?

In the Pilot episode of Clarissa Explains It All, she has what appear to be 3 ft Qualatex balloons lol.

In Richard Simmons’ Sweatin to the Oldies, volumes 1 and 3 have balloons decorating the set. My mom and aunt used to have his VHS tapes when I was a small child and I used to watch them every day just because of the balloons. Volume 1 looked like 12 inch Uniques. Volume 3 was clearly 11 inch Qualatex, with the Sprays mixed in. You could tell when they began a new day of taping because the balloons would change colors or they would clearly be down as it was the next day and they forgot to take them down.
    Last edited by Blueballoondude89; 03-08-2022, 19:08.
  • npratt
    • Jul 2016

Re: Balloons in the background of tv episodes or movies

There was a Sopranos episode where it was Tony's birthday and the outdoors of the house was decorated with crystal/jewel colored balloons. You could tell the order in which the scenes were shot - at the start of the party they're oxidized but later on toward the end they're nice and shiny. Continuity!

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
      • Apr 2022

Originally posted by npratt
      There was a Sopranos episode where it was Tony's birthday and the outdoors of the house was decorated with crystal/jewel colored balloons. You could tell the order in which the scenes were shot - at the start of the party they're oxidized but later on toward the end they're nice and shiny. Continuity!
      YES!!!! The continuity goofs always drive me insane. I guess sometimes that stuff doesn’t matter as they need to just shoot and get it done.

Comment

• Danniballoon
        • Mar 2018

There's a TV soap called Hollyoaks in the UK. There's barely an episode goes by where there isn't balloons in the background. On occasions cast members have popped the odd balloon too

Comment

• AJK64
          • Jun 2018

Any particular hollyoaks you can remember balloons being bust? Any male cast do it? And how?

Comment

• BalloonFun
            • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Danniballoon
            There's a TV soap called Hollyoaks in the UK. There's barely an episode goes by where there isn't balloons in the background. On occasions cast members have popped the odd balloon too
            Are you sure that isn't Love Island UK?

Comment

• LoonerHoax
              • May 2020

Lots of Gray"s Anatomy episodes have balloons. CW shows like Riverdale and Arrow have episodes with large numbers of balloons. The Good Place on Netflix has a had a couple episodes with hundreds of what appear to be Q16's in the background. Uploaded on Amazon has one episode in particular that had hundreds of balloons ranging in size from 9" to 36".

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
                • Apr 2022

Originally posted by LoonerHoax
                Lots of Gray"s Anatomy episodes have balloons. CW shows like Riverdale and Arrow have episodes with large numbers of balloons. The Good Place on Netflix has a had a couple episodes with hundreds of what appear to be Q16's in the background. Uploaded on Amazon has one episode in particular that had hundreds of balloons ranging in size from 9" to 36".
                There’s an episode of Young Sheldon in season 3 where they go to a church carnival and there’s tons of Q16s lol. I also remember an episode of Parenthood on NBC in 2011 where they went to an amusement park and there were the solid colored deco bubbles. Modern Family also had many different episodes. I love how Friends also had a lot of fun balloon decor in the background for parties or whatnot. A lot of times, they had the sprays. And one time, Joey showed up to the hospital with a clear 16 inch Gumball. I love how whoever was in charge, knew a lot about balloon decor. Especially in the episodes where Rachel gave birth and she had some really fun balloons in her hospital room and at home too. Like Geo donuts and 3 ft It’s a Girl.
                Last edited by Blueballoondude89; 07-08-2022, 14:36.

Comment

• kahuna09
                  • Jul 2013

how about the episode of Seinfeld when they were planning the new years eve party and Karamer came in with this huge bouquet of balloons Jerry said something like they are not going to last till new years eve he said those are my everyday balloons.

i about fainted thinking wow maybe there are other people like me out there in the world. It was shew maybe another 5 years or more that I learned I wasnt alone.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
                    • May 2020

I was watching the Gray Man movie on Netflix and towards the beginning of the movie there is a big fight scene in a sea of balloons from a NYE balloon drop. The Man from Toronto has a pretty long segment with a lot of balloons in the background. One even gets shot by Woody Harrelson but in the same shot a little bit later the balloon is back.

Comment

• loonerlee
                      • Dec 2018

Episode of Friends I remember seeing bunches of Qualatex 16" Crystal sprayed balloons.

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
                        • Apr 2022

Originally posted by kahuna09
                        how about the episode of Seinfeld when they were planning the new years eve party and Karamer came in with this huge bouquet of balloons Jerry said something like they are not going to last till new years eve he said those are my everyday balloons.

i about fainted thinking wow maybe there are other people like me out there in the world. It was shew maybe another 5 years or more that I learned I wasnt alone.
                        Haha lol I couldn’t remember what show I had seen that clip from … but of course those were 16 inch sprays! I really wish Qualatex would bring those back, but noooooooooo.

Comment

• Nopops4me
                          • Jun 2015

There's a UK TV series called Doc Martin. This year sees the last series to be made.
                          Go to youtube and search 'Doc Martin, Farewell Mrs Tishell' . It's about the making of an episode. In this, Mrs Tishel is holding, with difficulty, a great bunch of helium balloons. One pops. Must be about 50 balloons in the bunch.

Comment

• Nopops4me
                            • Jun 2015

Not sure when this episode of Doc Martin will be aired in the UK - sometime in autumn 2022, I think.

Comment

• Blueballoondude89
                              • Apr 2022

Speaking of balloons popping in a bunch, I remember there was a Mythbusters segment where they tried using helium balloons as protection in a car crash. And when she was explaining to the camera what was happening and stuffing the balloons into the car, one broke and her voice got all startled for a second lol. “they’re going to (pops) ACT as an airbag!”

I’ll never forget the one from 2004 where they tried making the little girl fly with over 3,000 11 inch balloons. You could totally see there were some 16 inches in the bunch, when it showed far away wide shots. I used to love watching Mythbusters because Tory was so hot lol now I can’t stand him.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎